“It's ok...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 10 Windham B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“It's ok...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

It was my first time ever staying at a B&B, so I didn't know what to expect. We chose Catskill Lodge because the price was the best in the area and it didn't look as tacky as the other B&Bs. The place is hard to find. The dirt parking lot was not plowed very well and was icy every day we were there. We got the Catskill Suite - the master bedroom was very large and spacious. As for the other room - well, it has enough room for a bed and a dresser. If you ask for a king, it's two twins pushed together with a sheet over them. Overall, the suite was not bad - we had privacy, a FANTASTIC view, etc. The downside was that the water is well water, so the water kind of smells when you are showering or using the jacuzzi. Also, there were no tea candles or anything for the jacuzzi.
I was not very fond of the cleanliness of the place - I saw quite a few cobwebs, rugs needed to be vacuumed, there were patches of unsanded, unpainted plaster on the walls, comforters were stained... but it was nothing to make you grossed out.
Breakfast was large, delicious and filling every morning.
The innkeeper was a bit passive aggressive, but he stayed out of the way most of the time and gave us privacy.
Tips:
The B&B has a hot tub, so bring your swimsuit. Beware though that it takes a very long time to heat up. Also, I would get the Catskill Suite instead of the Delaware - the bathroom is scary tiny, as in even a 4 year old would feel cramped.
Overall, it's pretty good for the price.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank adfd
acmill99, Manager at Catskill Lodge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 25, 2014
We know that this review was written quite a while ago, but as the new innkeepers we wanted to take a moment to reply personally. We, in partnership with the owners, have implemented a lot of positive changes for the business, and we are very proud of what the Catskill Lodge is today. It is a Victorian house, built in 1893, so of course there are some quirks (no two rooms are the same size or shape, much of the furniture is antique, etc.) - but for the majority of our guests, that's part of the charm of staying in a home with so much history, rather than a modern hotel. We love the house and have put a lot of time and energy into making minor repairs and improvements, and we also follow a very thorough cleaning routine in preparation for each new guest's arrival. We didn't have any experience with the older hot tub, but our new one is amazing! Always hot and ready to go, and a wonderful way to relax after a day hiking or on the slopes. And of course our breakfasts are still hearty and delicious - now with a special focus on local, seasonal, and organic ingredients. We hope that you will give us another try in the future! - Sarah & Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

We spent 2 nights at the lodge. We were greeted warmly with wine waiting for us! We went to the Hortan Smith House had an amazing dinner, and woke up to having breakfast served for us! Saturday we headed up to Windham hill, which was a 3/4 minute drive from the lodge, the weather as well as the skiing was fantastic. I'll definately be back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

I recently stayed at the Catskill Lodge with some friends for a Ski trip. The service was excellent and the staff made us feel at home. The rooms as well as the bathrooms were extremely clean. The lodge provided all sorts of entertainment from board games to DVD’s. The food was very good and the servings were plentiful. I am recommending the Catskill Lodge to all my friends.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

A group of my friends rented all the the rooms in the Catskill Lodge for a weekend and had so much fun. There's so much to do and actually the accomodations are by far the best out of any B&B I've ever stayed out. There's a great restaurant/bar around the block which was perfect for evening entertainment. If you can get a group together to rent the entire place I would comletely recommend it though I would be perfectly happy just renting a single room for another kind of trip as well.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights while skiing at Windham Mountain. The B&B was very cozy and felt like home. The place was clean and had all the amenities we needed and more. David, the innkeeper, was welcoming and was always helpful in giving directions, making restaurant recommendations, etc. We will definitely stay there again if we are in the area. We are from Arkansas and we enjoyed meeting the other guests; some from Connecticut and some from Pennsylvania. David's breakfast each morning was delicious. Always plenty of food and variety. We truly missed having breakfast the last morning due to needing to leave early to catch our train.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — No cell phone service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

I stayed alone at this beautiful, cozy, relaxing b&b a week ago- and still can't get over the feeling. I took the hunter- A small room with shared fantastic bathroom (Although I didn't share it since there was no one staying at the other room). Was welcomed in by David - a wonderful quiet guy who let me check in before since I got there by bus (Bus stops 2 minute walk from the lodge). The breakfast was great, the relaxing fireplace, and the special inviting porches kept reminding me I'm outside the city. The service was great- always felt I got more than I should. The living room has a DVD projector who became very useful on cold nights. Overall I have to say I wish I could pack my little west village apt. and move there. Was very hard for me to leave, but will defiantly come back - next time with backup.

• Liked — The warm cozy feel this vila had
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

I recently spent 2 nights at the Catskill Lodge and really enjoyed it! Everything you've read in the glowing reviews is true - the innkeepers (David and Jim) are really helpful and welcoming and the accommodations were quite comfortable. David helped us a number of times with directions and suggestions of things to do. The atmosphere at the b&b is really homey. I was there for a Saturday night when David and Jim hosted a wine and cheese hour for the guests. It was a nice way to relax and meet some fellow travelers and get to know the innkeepers. The house itself has a lot of character and charm, as do all of the guest rooms. We stayed in the Windham on the first floor - our room was spacious enough for 2, had an ensuite bathroom, double bed (maybe a little too firm) and a flatscreen tv/dvd combo. The common areas offer some nice amenities as well - boardgames, a laptop with internet, a large collection of DVDs and a projection screen to watch them on. Breakfasts were hearty and delicious, consisting of your traditional American breakfast fair. All in all, I would definitely recommend staying at this b&b if you're looking for a cozy place to stay during your visit to the Catskills!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 10 in Windham
Cuomo's Cove
Cuomo's Cove
#3 of 10 in Windham

Been to Catskill Lodge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!