“Lovely settings - good value”

Winwood Inn & Condos
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Windham
Chester, United Kingdom
“Lovely settings - good value”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recently stayed at the inn whilst attending a wedding. The room offered good value for money and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was a little disappointing, especially the reliance on disposable cutlery and plates. Our room was a little noisy (by the lift) and noise carried from other rooms. We had a nice balcony offering views of the fabulous fall colours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2012

You should sleep in your car before paying these people for a room. The pool is pretty far, it's not at the hotel, it's across a busy highway and it was green. The first room we were taken to smelled like a dead animal. We got the lady from the front desk to come to the room and smell it and she said it was from steam cleaning the room and not letting it dry properly (?) Never had to worry about that at my house! The 2nd room was filthy, my daughter spilled water on the kitchen floor and cleaned it up with a towel, and the towel was BLACK! I brought it to the front desk and showed them so they wouldn't charge me for the towel. I paid for a CONDO and they put us in a STUDIO with no refund when we checked out. The restaurant was awful. There was puke on the ground in front of the restaurant!! We should have known! They use a bbq in the parking lot to cook your food. The chicken on my fajitas was cooked so long it was jerky. After a GREAT day zip lining, we were hungry and tired and were totally disappointed with this hotel. It's more like a motel anyway and not worth 180 a might. Maybe $40.00 a night (?)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank B T

Travelers are raving about these Windham hotels

Vitznau
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The shower/bath faucet was broken and breakfast pathetic... Just a little more effort here would help the traveler.The condo was really cute. Liked the layout of ours, 121, but it could be better. And that I have to write 200 characters here is annoying since I can say it all in less!

Smithtown, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My husband, 8 yo, and I stayed one night. It was off season in August. Where to begin.... The man at desk was obnoxious, we had checked the price of the room before going there via the website, and when he asked for a credit card the total price of the hotel was $50.00 more than what the official website quoted, less than an hour before. When we inquired about this he said maybe we put in a AAA discount, which we did not, but did have an AAA card so it brought the price down to what the website quoted, still over priced but the lobby was cozy and the outside of the hotel looked really nice. We were in for an expensive rude awakening... The air conditioner did not work well (it was August), we asked to change rooms and were told we had the settings wrong. When the setting change did not change the temperature of the room 2 hours later and were given a fan, apparently the air conditioners did not work properly in the other rooms. The bedspread had stains on it. The pull out couch's mattress was thin and my 8 yo complained about the springs poking him. The continental breakfast was horrible; stale muffins, apple sauce and mediocre lukewarm coffee. The pool was green and unusable. There are many hotels in area, this at best was a 2 star motel. The Windham area is beautiful find another place to stay.

3 Thank bettrn66
Long Island NY
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Being near Windham Mountain, I understand the Winwood Inn's winters are more important to their business than their summer season. However, I was very disappointed with my experience! The hotel looked clean, well kept and fully air conditioned from the lobby, but as soon as I started up the stairs, the heat and humidity climbed as well. As we entered our room, we heard the air conditioner running, but the room was hot and humid. I thought the air conditioner may have been just switched on, as we appeared to be their only guest, so I figured I would give it some time. After a few hours, and several complaints to the front desk about the heat, they offered to switch rooms about 11pm. I went to check the new room, and the air conditioner was also spewing out only slightly cool air, and the room itself was actually hotter than our current room. The man at the front desk told me my air conditioner was not working in our room because I switched it on to the highest setting, he said "they don't work on their highest setting"- really?. Considering I had to aslo request a new blanket to replace the clearly stained one they had in the room (not that we could use it in the heat), that the tub was clogged and there was a green algae tint to their pool, I would strongly consider different accomodations when visiting the Windham area, winter or summer; We arrived about 5pm just looking for a good nights sleep and were charged $130 for the 14 hrs we toiled there. When I informed the women at the front desk that we had a very poor night sleep due to the heat, she only said "oh, I heard there was a vent closed?".....no remorse, apology or empathy.....there wasn't any vent closed. It was simply a penny pinching business that badly needs some equipment upgrades, that despite having every one of their rooms available would not do everything they could to provide their customer with a comfortable room because that might take some effort and expense. Think twice.

2 Thank SeanNY66
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a family group. I stayed with my husband in the main Inn, but others in our family stayed in the "condos." Both were quite comfortable, the pool enjoyed by the younger crowd. Since it was off-season things were pretty quiet, but I could tell this must be a fun place for families to stay during the ski season. Breakfast was adequate (cereal, fruit and pastries). I do feel that it was a bit overpriced, however. All in all a pleasant and comfortable stay.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank kathysong
Naugatuck, Connecticut
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Stopped by while looking for a room. We found this to be clean, reasonable, well kept and the view was great! breakfast in the dining area was good too! We ended up eating in the restaurant there also and it was equally as good! We enjoyed the fire-pit outside while we enjoyed a margarita on a brisk fall night!

Room Tip: facing the front looking towards the mountains is the way to go!