“Totally not worth the money!!!”

Winwood Inn & Condos
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Windham
Chestnut Ridge, New York
“Totally not worth the money!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We arrived just after the New Year holiday for a 2-day stay to be close to Windham Mountain for skiing. The room was adequate, with a very small but reasonably clean bathroom, but the walls were paper thin. Our room was fairly near the hotel's restaurant (just below us). We could hardly sleep for all of the noise - not just from the restaurant but from the other guests coming and going. The breakfast was ridiculous - no eggs, nothing warm except the coffee, just the bare minimum. What did they charge us all of that money for? We decided to ask if we could leave one day early, and even though they had people waiting for rooms, they only gave us a refund of 1/2 of the second night!!! There are many other options around the mountain. Why would anyone stay here?

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank watergrl66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I was looking for a clean, and safe place to stay close to the mountain. This hotel has prices of a 3star hotel but the rooms look like a 1*motel, my room had a wall with huge stains and looked dirty, the towels were stained, the conforter was so used and abused it looked 20 years old and had lost its true color, my pillow had yellow spots, and also god only knows what types of stains in them, the chair had so many stains and was so dirty, it made me wonder if it was grease or human body fluids, my room was 307, it faced the back of the building, anyone from the outside or from the parking lot had straight access, since there were stairs on the outside and back of the building leading straight to the top floor and to the balcony...not a good thing because one of my windows was broken and fully opened. I had to call the desk so someone could come and help me to force-close the window from the outside. The pictures in the website totally fooled me. The hotel looks pretty and cozy on the outside, but my room was old and ran-down, not maintained, and, worse of all, dirty. I felt cheated and for the same price could have found a safer and cleaner place.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mayte34

Travelers are raving about these Windham hotels

Dexter, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

First of all very friendly staff, nice bar/restaraunt, very nice cont. breakfast, and close to some awsome dining places and bar/brew pub. Now the but, stayed for almost a week and from day 1 heat didn't work in the room along with the jacuzzi. Was assured each morning that it would be taken care of but never was. Due to the warmer weather the temp stayed around 64 in the room so I didn't ask for something else. Just the point that I was told it would be taken care of and nothing. Same with the jacuzzi. Also internet was down for 3/4 the stay. Others in our party had issues with their rooms, so I feel that some updates seem to be needed. If this was an economy hotel I would be less harsh but at what we were being charged I feel that this was not worth the money. As for the town here A++ rating! Just need to find another place to stay until they get this hotel fixed up.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Blue1997
Fishkill, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed the last weekend in January 2011 for a birthday weekend. I was a little skeptical after reading some of the past reviews. We stayed in the 1 bedroom condo. The room was immaculately clean. Some of the reviews said that the rooms were outdated but ours looked brand new. The bathroom looked brand new as well. Very updated and clean. The only problem we found was that you could hear people in the condo above us. Sounded like they were walking around in there ski boots. So to avoid this next time I would just request a second floor room. It really wasn't that bad.

Rockin Mexicana was AWESOME! No need to leave Winwood to find a good restaurant! We consider ourselves 'foodies' and are very picky about menus, food prep and cleanliness. We sat at the bar for a drink and decided to stay for dinner. If you dont like Mexican, not to worry, there was a wide variety of food, everything we ordered was A+ Awesome ambiance, roaring fireplace, great view of the mountain, cozy feel and excellent wait staff. Outside they have a firepit with chairs around it. We truly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back!!!! Not to mention terrific value. Our whole stay for 2 adults was about $200 for one nights stay including 2 lift tickets.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

For $165/night...off-season! I expected alot better. The room was very damp and the rug was very dirty. TV was old. The entrance smelled like wet dog. Nice town to visit but don't stay here at that price. Easily should have been well below $100/night, especially in August.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gene B
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Stayed in the actual Inn for 4 days. There are condos available which i understand are more modern inside, but more expensive. The Inn rooms included a breakfast package (continental) and were excellent value. The rooms and stairs / landings were looking a little tired but everywhere was very clean and maintained. All Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The Inn is located on the edge of the town / Village (about a 5 min walk into the Centre) and is on the main road (by Catskill standards) that divides where the outdoor swimming, Tennis Court etc are located. There are also laundry facilities and games room and a good gym. Had a great time and would certainly return again. Whilst there visited the Zoom Flume (expensive but a good day out if the weather is sunny), Tubing with Tinker Town, ate in Windham at Michael's Diner and the Market Place which all served big portions and were good value. Visited Kaaterskills waterfall and saw a black bear as well as Deer and other wildlife.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2010

What is not to love? I had to go to this area to pick up my daughter. I researched all of the places in the area. I picked the Winwood Inn based on the google satellite image: I suggest you look at that too!
Wonderful staff, kind and attentive. Bargain for what you are getting; super clean beds with the most amazing view I can imagine (yes I know what I am talking about, I went to school in WA. State and have climbed Mt. Kenya)
Here is the thing: after we picked Windham and stayed there, we drove around and checked the completion (we will have to go back several times, so we needed to) and for the price? Forget about it. Stay here.
One more thing: we were starving and were not happy with options. We were horrified by the prices at the Mexican Cantina attached to the hotel; and for good reason. $18.00 for 2 enchiladas? Highway robbery! But guess what, as meager as it was? Some of the best I have ever had in my life. And yes, I do know, My parents are from Texas and I lived there for 10 years.
The photo online cheats, there is a highway between the hotel and the pool; but it doesn’t end up mattering. All you really care about it that view. Not that I didn’t swim! I begged hubby “could we stay another night??” he said yes, but a storm was coming so we didn’t.
But with those clean lovely beds, wonderful people, and that view, I for one am coming back as soon as I can.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorotheaBrooke60745
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 10 in Windham
Xenia Resort
Xenia Resort
#5 of 6 in Hunter

Been to Winwood Inn & Condos? Share your experiences!