“Lots of fun intermediate runs, lots of family activities”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Windham Mountain

Windham Mountain
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Windham
More attraction details
Owner description: This year-round resort area in the Catskills offers a full range of outdoor recreation, from skiing and snowboarding in the winter, to swimming, hiking and biking in the warmer summer months.
Katonah, NY
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 421 helpful votes
“Lots of fun intermediate runs, lots of family activities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had our last ski of,the season at Windham. It was a mild day but every run and nearly every lift was open. Windham is always buzzing, and there are other activites such as snowmobiling and tubing. They are also,good at having various events, such as deejays, egg hunts, etc... They have an excellent outdoor BBQ with a huge fire pit and lots of seating. There are several fun terrain parks and one of those inflated bag jumps. When Windham isn't busy I really enjoy it, but it is popular with city people and on peak days it is insanely busy. Then I hate it, because you will easily spend at least twenty minutes queuing for the lifts. This resort does a bad job of managing lift lines IMO. That is my only gripe. They doe a good job grooming and there are plenty of runs for all levels. Excellent place for the family.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank lindagaf

Buncrana, Ireland
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Excellent day in the Catskills”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Have only ever skied in Europe and NZ so thought it'd be good to get in a day's skiing whilst visiting NYC, heading upstate. This time last year, this resort was closed, but a better winter this year led to relatively good end of season conditions. My son, my brother-in-law &I left on a coach from Manhattan at around 0630h (Emilio's ski shop in Brooklyn run a service that stops off all night upper East side). I must say, my expectations were low, as I realise they don't have the altitude. However, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the great day we had. The runs were in surprisingly good condition in the morning, though softened, typical of a spring day, as day went on. Grooming was excellent. The rental was very organised.
Pity not all lifts open, as tended to mean we would not head to some runs that were still open (the only other way to get to some open territory was via double diamond runs that we didn't feel comfortable with). Plenty of other runs available, so not an issue.
Very picturesque setting with nice views of the surrounding countryside.
Very quiet also - whilst I'm sure the resort want it to be busy, this was good for us!

Visited March 2013
New York, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Good experience for a first timer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

I visited Windham this February for my first snowboarding lessons. The mountain is close to the the Hunter Mountain weekend rentals, equipment shops etc. I booked my lesson package online and picked up my equipment without a hitch. It was a busy weekend so we were all warned to go early to avoid lines. I had a and half hour snowboarding lesson which was just my speed but I wouldn't recommend for more experienced snowboarders. I stayed on the bunny hill all day but it was what I needed. The most unnerving thing was the three year old kids going 40mph past me and then cutting me off. I'll update my review when I make it to the grown up slopes.

Visited February 2013
New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Cute mountain, outdoor fire pit, barbecue in the afternoon.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent the day at Windham on March 10th. It's a fun spot with enough green trails to keep me going to the point of exhaustion. The spring snow there has a buttery quality that's great to ski on. My son the snowboarder likes the black trails on the big mountain, and vouches for them, but hubby, stepdaughter and I are total greenies. The only downside is that in order to access the larger peak, you have to be up to blue trail skills -- I'm told it's fine, but I'm too chicken to try yet. There's a cafeteria called the Wheel house at mid mountain, with decent burgers, chili and fries. You can grab an Adirondack chair on the outdoor deck and bask in the sun till you're ready to ski over to the quad lift, or back down to the bunny slope. The base lodge has an outdoor fire pit with lots of chairs around it, and the line for fresh made barbecue is right-over-there. Bring me a beer on your way back.

Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Everyone who skies in New York City knows Windham Mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everyone who skies in New York City knows Windham Mountain.

Windham Mountain is one a few skiing places in metropolitan area. It is with its neighbor Hunter Mountain are probably the best choices. It is within 2.5 hours from the City. It has artificial snow machines – so there is at least some snow all season, but of course better time to go when natural snow is present. When I was driving to the place I was unsure as there was not much snow on the ground, but on the mountain it actually was very nice – most importantly the temperature should stay below freezing point. The rentals and facilities are good – we used “basket service” for $5 one can rent a big basket with unlimited access. Rental equipment was good and staff provides professional suggestions for sizes and types of equipment. It became pricy though – for ski rental and lifts it is ~$120 or something on weekend. On our way back we drove locally and visited waterfall, which was also nice.
I guess it is nice there in summer as well.

Visited January 2013