“Great Get Away”

Hotel Vienna
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Windham
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We learned about Hotel Vienna through Living Social. The voucher was for two nights with a bottle of wine and another voucher could be added to it. Our four nights there were wonderful! When we walked into our room we found a lovely basket, two bottles of wine, two glasses, a cork screw and a card wishing us a happy birthday. What a wonderful personal touch!
Rick and his staff are friendly and go out of their way to may sure their guests are happy. They have a large stack of menus in the lobby area with comfortable chairs to sit in while pursuing the menus. The staff's restaurant recommendations were good.
The rooms are large, nicely appointed, clean and well insulated and we never heard anything from the rooms on either side of us. The continental breakfast included hard boiled eggs, low fat yogurt, a variety of cereals, and crescents and danishs baked on the premises. The crescents were light and airy and the red raspberry jam was delicious. Afternoon snacks were chocolate chip cookies. One afternoon there was a delicious bread pudding. Although we were there in the fall, we noticed that there is a ski room for storing skis and ski boots. We didn't use the indoor pool/jacuzzi but liked knowing that it was there. Rick told us that there were changing rooms with showers and blow dryers in the pool area so a person wouldn't have to walk across the parking lot in a wet swimsuit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mountainside of the inn. The view overlooks a pasture with the Catskills in t...
2  Thank Cathjim822

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The place was clean and excellently maintained. They take pride in making sure your room is cleaned. It may sound funny, but it was really clean, the gut around the tub was cleaned. tile floor edges dusted. The fresh baked treats in the morning were great. its a continental breakfasts, but keep in mind its a country area too. I even appreciated having coffee and juice available at 5am. Didn't use the pool, but appreciated it was inside if we choose to take a swim or just hang out in hot tub. Now matter the season, town of Windham is a great location to visit.

1  Thank William E
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Lovely room, wonderful staff. Great location. The room was clean and the balcony was lovely to rest on. There is a continental breakfast that was very good but a little carb heavy for diabetics. The pool house is great with a hot tub and changing rooms and large towels. The view is okay but the location is wonderful. The fridge was nice to have as there is no in house restaurant. My personal complaint would be that the tissues supplied were like sand paper. Petty, I know, but it's true. There are many free DVD's that you can use. The staff was lovely and very accommodating. We just love the Catskills and would stay at the Hotel Vienna again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for the mountain view as there is a bird feeder that is active and fun to watch from the balcony...
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Excellent service from the time I called the hotel with my Travelzoo voucher number and received the room I requested (based on Trip Advisor information) through check in. My top priority is cleanliness and the Vienna passed with flying colors. Other pluses were the close proximity to wonderful fall hiking trails, a tub jacuzzi in our room and hot tub in the pool house, the never-ending pot of great coffee and warm fresh-baked breakfast croissants. We paid about $75/night - midweek- which included a bottle or wine and a breakfast of fresh rolls, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, cereal and fruit. Another plus was the comfortable lounge with sofas and fireplace as a place to relax and enjoy some wine and conversation. The wireless internet service was good, and a computer was also available.
Yes, the water tastes of sulfur, but we purchased a gallon of drinking water to have in the room for drinking and tooth brushing. I would recommend the hotel provide this in the room refrigerator for guests. The heated pool was too cool at 80 deg. for me to jump in. It really needs to be about 90 for us older folks to enjoy a dip. The beds were not the most comfortable I have experienced, but okay for a couple of nights after a day spent hiking in the Catskills.
If your priorities include a reasonable priced, very clean room in a good location, along with great coffee and croissants, you should consider this hotel. The town of Windham has a wonderful quilt shop too!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vuniversal
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I visited this hotel this past Octoberfest Weeknd, and wasn't thrilled with it! Nicely appointed, and somewhat Rustic. As one reviewer stated in their review, the over powering smell of some strong Orange cleaner or whatever wasn't pleasant at all! I asked for a wake up call, just as a back up to the alarm in my room. I was told that the hotel didn't do wake up calls! I asked the front desk clerk, why not? I was told that there is an alarm clock in the room that is why they don't do wake up calls! My first reaction was, ok, there is an alarm clock in the room, but I was dead tired, and wanted a wake up call. Now, that I have thought about it, I paid a pretty hefty price to stay there, and a wake up call should have been given as a courtesy to me!!! A small house keeping issue came up also, after one night's stay, the housekeeper should have replaced the hand soap and bath soap with fresh soap, She didn't bother to do that. I find that to be ok for a Motel Six type of place, but Not an Expensive Hotel. This housekeeper was left a generous tip too on my first night's stay. I wouldn't leave a second tip, as she didn't deserve a tip after all. I didn't find the bed in the room comfortable, nor the pillows they used. All in all, I wouldn't return as I did not get a great value for the amount of money I spent!

2  Thank Larry20874
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had a very pleasant stay the night before a triathlon at Hunter Mountain. The location is so beautiful and peaceful. Enjoyed relaxing on the balcony with the lovely views. The room was incredibly clean and the bed was comfortable. It's so nice to stay in a place that is not only quiet within the hotel, but with no outside noise as well. I had to leave before breakfast, but it looked like a nice room to sit and have coffee. I wish that I had time to have stayed another night! I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend Hotel Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Vienna. Gracious and helpful staff, clean and comfy rooms, great views from the balcony, and a fantastic hot tub experience and swimming pool. I highly recommend the Hotel Vienna.

Room Tip: Ask for the meadow view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Albergo Allegria
The Thompson House
#3 of 7 in Windham
Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club
Copper Kettle Motel Cottages

Been to Hotel Vienna? Share your experiences!