“Quilt retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 Windham B&B and Inns
Cairo, New York
“Quilt retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the third year that I have attended a quilt retreat at Christman's Windham House. I am looking forward to next year's already and I just got home! The food is always excellent. The wait staff is pleasant and quiet. Ruth and Brian Christman, the owners, are ready to help with any issue although issues are a rare event. You won't find them in a corporate office far away from the Inn. This is a family owned and run business and a "fixture" in the Windham area. Ruth might be found serving coffee to help her wait staff and Brian may be found changing light bulbs. Even after last year's Tropical Storm Irene devastated the mountaintop area of Greene County the Christman's were busy working hard to get back to business as usual and at the same time helping their neighbors. Many students in the area have learned real customer service skills working at Christman's. If you want granite, glitz and ultramodern you may need to go elsewhere. If you want wonderful people, a relaxing stay, beautiful scenery, fabulous food and from what friends have told me- a challenging golf course--- then this is the place for you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cathy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
The Jersey Shore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Been doing golf weekends for years and always hit up Christman's. Challenging mountain couse will keep you coming back. Don't bother with the valley course. Staff is always pleasant and accomodating. My family has a cabin nearby which is the reason we don't stay but I know people who have enjoyed the hotel side of Christmans. We have had some great meals there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bogart45
Mount Sinai, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here one night with our three grandchildren, age 8, 7, 2, in a two bedroom/2 bath unit. The facilities were very well kept, the room was very clean and perfect for our stay. Breakfast was amazing and service and personnel very accommodating and friendly. Grounds were landscaped and pool area inviting. Shuffleboard, swings for kids and 18 hole golf course was a plus!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank beachtrains
Ashland, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I have been to Christman's Windham House more than once for golf school. The Ben Sutton Golf School, based in FL, has a branch at Christman's. It's great to go there when the weather is hot here in Philadelphia. The climate and scenery are unbeatable. The hotel is quite old, with ambience to match. We've stayed in two different rooms in the main hotel, and both have been large, well appointed (for a country place) with a balcony and a small fridge for cold drinks. Staying in the main hotel building means a short walk downstairs to the dining room for meals and just across the street for golf school. Or for getting your clubs to play a round. The staff is super friendly and accommodating. One of the best things about the hotel is the food. It's fabulous. Breakfast is breakfast, but lunch and dinner are delightful with a variety of choices. Of course there is also a full bar and a tavern across the street offering live music on Friday night. The last time we were there, they even had a circus set up on the 9th fairway for all the townfolk (and guests) to enjoy. If you want a spa vacation with a swimming pool and those amenities, go somewhere else. If you want friendly staff, comfortable accommodations, and great food, try Christman's in the Catskills. Very easy to get to from most parts of the northeast. Less than 30 miles off the Thruway and close to other interstate highways.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony are on the front next to the road. If you're a light sleeper, maybe an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BetseyBrown
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Mrs. Christman and her staff were the nicest service folks I've run into in a while. The lady herself checked me in, and knowing that I was traveling alone took it upon herself to place me in a room in the main building in case I was worried about security (there are several lodging buildings on the grounds, I believe). I get the sense from seeing the pics on their website that the rooms in the main building are more "inn" like in their furnishings and linens than the ones in the other building (I think they get a lot of golfers and skiers throughout the year). I found my room to be nicely appointed, clean, with a good sized TV, desk, small fridge, attractive linens, and a jacuzzi tub (YEA!). A full hot breakfast was included in my stay, and it was both full and hot! I ate breakfast there twice, and you get a small menu to select from, which is served on regular china by a server (LOADS better than a continental breakfast of stale bagel at any other franchise hotel). First day I had a bowl of canteloupe (best I've ever had), with thick french toast. Day two I had canteloupe, scrambled eggs, toast and home fries. All were made to order. And, bonus on day two - when I arrived at my assigned dining table, there was a freshly made blueberry muffin waiting for me!!!

I also had dinner there on my first evening. DELICIOUS is an understatement. The restaurant is open to the public, but luckily (for me anyway) it was lightly packed on a Tuesday night. The chef outdid himself with a salad of fresh greens, and a walnut encrusted chicken breast stuffed with carmelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. That was served over cooked greens, and with a side of what I learned was called "Tom's Potatoes." I would just call them "More" because they were so good I wanted another helping. I don't usually indulge in "fancy" meals when I'm out on business, but this was well worth the break with my norm.

The service: Each time Mrs. Christman saw me she acknowledged me, making me feel like a special customer of her establishment. I borrowed a book from the Inn library and she offered to let me take it home if I liked it. The staff I had contact with was very pleasant and friendly, and seemed pleased to be there and serve their customers.

I can't speak for the shape or service of the entire property, as I didn't have the time to explore, but the lodging in the main building (housing the restaurant and reservation desk) was quite nice, and the service and food in the restaurant was even better. I'll be sure to try and stay here again when I'm going through on business or pleasure, if for no other reason than the people there were so nice, and for the day/season it was a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Didn't see all the rooms in person, but I'll wager the rooms in the main building are best.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Signal50
Okeechobee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

You want a great golf vacation or just a fabulous golf day with the best kept secret dining experience. The staff cannot do enough to make your stay unforgettable with always a smile..

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank parshot
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We were recently married and we had our reception at Christman's 1805 tavern/barn and had a fabulous event!
I've golfed here many times and my wife and I have stayed and dined here quite a few times before we married. When we were looking for a place for our reception, we wanted a unique experience and we had a 'country chic' theme. We were looking for a place where the hall was something special, with good food and handy accommodations so our guests did not have to drive after the event.
Christman's came through on every level! Ruth and Brian Christman were involved and present during the preparations and at the event itself. Kristin Garaghan, their wedding planner, had great ideas and gave us confidence through her understanding of her vendors and suppliers that all would happen as planned.
Tim Cross, is a well traveled, experienced chef and one of the most inventive chefs I know put out the most wonderful food. We had a number of well healed and snobby NYers and foodies that agreed - "the chateaubriand was the best I've ever had!" - "the fiddlehead fern tempura was delicious!" and on and on. As a matter of fact, my wife and I had dined the week before at NYC’s Gramercy Tavern where we spend $300 on a so-so meal which paled in comparison to the great work coming out of Mr. Cross’s kitchen.
The staff at Christman's attended to our every need and did so in such a way as to calm a very stressed out couple. They provided great ideas and real options and worked with us to get us what we wanted and within the budget we needed to stay within.
Since we had a theme and we are both designers, we wanted to dress up their lovely 1805 barn with our lighting and decorations. They made every effort to allow us access at any time we needed it and the staff was just a delight to work with. They even completed some renovations in advance that made the space even more attractive and had electrical needs for the live band in place by the event date.
When we arrived from the ceremony, they allowed us as many golf carts as we needed to go up the big hill to take photographs on their mountain course which has spectacular views.
They never once made us nervous and at every turn gave us more than what we expected and did so in the friendliest way possible. We felt like we were part of their family and we had a great time.
When the bill came, there were absolutely no surprises! So we whole heartedly recommend Christman’s for your events, a great round of golf, great food and warm and friendly accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Inn for an authentifc experience
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kta6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Hotel Vienna
Albergo Allegria
Albergo Allegria
#1 of 9 in Windham
5.0 of 5 stars 441 reviews

Been to Christman's Windham House? Share your experiences!