“Fabulous Innkeepers, Heavenly Views, Food to Die For”

Captains Inn Point Lookout
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Our friends have talked about how special Point Lookout and Ron and Laurie are since we met them. They refer to their visits as their special time in a special place.

It was our 25th wedding anniversary, our kids and family are all far away. When we saw the inn from the bottom of the mountain we just smiled and knew we were in for a good stay. We were greeted with open arms by Ron and Laurie like we had known them our whole lives. We immediately felt at home and with new family members!

Ron showed us around the inn and let us settle in to an absolutely breath taking view from our room. We felt like we were in an airplane. We could see forever. Before dinner we decided to check out Woodstock which Ron directed us to. He said to be prepared for a special dinner when we got back.

We have lived in Florida, Indiana (Chicago), Tennessee, Virginia, Ohio, California, and Maine and have had the opportunity to eat at some of the best places. Our dinner was to die for great. I never order lobster out, being from Maine, but Laurie's lobster was absolutely amazing! Friends had arranged for champagne for us which Ron surprised us with. Steve, our waiter, was so attentive and charming. We felt like we were the only ones in the dining area but it was booked.

Afterwards we snuggled into bed and awoke the next morning to the most amazing sunrise! The Raid the Fridge was perfect. There was a special Italian breakfast dish waiting, fresh fruit, home made breads, danish, cereal, coffee, juice all of which we ate at our leisure and had our choice of tables inside and out, couches, and a wide screen tv. The room was like home but we didn't have to do the dishes!

Ron and Laurie and their staff made our 25th a night to remember. We will be back!!! We have new friends!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I have been to Point Lookout many times. I think that it is a great, loving restaurant that can make you feel at home

The food is amazing.Its always perfect and its great if soming thing is wrong then they will fix it right

the owners are the nicest people you could meet there very friendly and welcoming

i say anyone who wants a great dinnert and night then go to Point Lookout Mountain Inn.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2009

We attended the New Years Eve party. The hosts were kind enough to keep the dinner service alive for us, even though we arrived an hour later than the cutoff. Once we were seated in the restaurant, though, the service was spotty. That's to be forgiven to a considerably extent at a family-run inn on New Years Eve when we arrived so late. As for the food, it was tasty, but not as good as the first time we stopped there for dinner in November 2007. One more thing... they have a bar there in the restaurant, and that's nice. You don't get that at every inn in the Catskills, to be sure.

The view out of the restaurant is spectacular -- though one must, of course, arrive before dark to see it! Our hotel room afforded a similar view through a smaller window. This is part of what we came for -- that and the food, as a waypoint from New York City going up to Lake Placid.

The rooms themselves smelled a bit musty and were small and old. We weren't expecting hi-class, spacious rooms -- but the smell was a slight turn-off.

Breakfast in the morning was a bit disappointing, considering the fabulous dinner we ate at Point Lookout in fall 2007. At breakfast, they ran out of things, blowing the circuit breaker with the toaster oven, etc. And no one was on hand to fix that promptly or replenish dwindling food supplies. The breakfast food was better than an Econo Lodge and included fresh fruit (a bit plus) but not like a hot-cooked B&B meal nor like a restaurant meal.

Finally it's worth mentioning, the owners are really, really nice. It's a hospitable place on balance, to be sure.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2009

First stayed at Point Lookout last winter & fell in love with the place by the end of the weekend. We have been back several times since & it only gets better.
The owners Ron & Laurie really do go out of their way to make sure you feel welcome & comfortable. We've been back since that first weekend 4 times & let me just say they have gone above & beyond what I would expect to be hospitable & to really treat us like family. You cannot put a price on that kind of service & it really speaks as to what great people they really are.
We last stayed in November for a Murder Mystery Dinner & had a great time. It was a lot of fun.
Whenever we stay we eat at their wonderful restaurant. I can't say enough how great the food is there. We live in NYC & have eaten at a lot of great restaurants & their place is on par with them & by far one of my absolute favorites!
The attention to the food is really obvious & refreshing...right down to the smallest detail. The soups are seasonal & absolutely delicious. The crab cakes are the best I've ever tasted! No matter what I've ordered from the menu I have never been disappointed. The wait staff is alway friendly & accomodating.
As for the rooms, I have always found them quaint & comfortable. Exactly what I would expect at a country mountain inn. On our last visit we were informed that some of the rooms were redecorated & were able to see a few & they have really done a great job with them.
The "Raid the Refrigerator" breakfast in the morning is very special & really does make you feel like you are visiting friends. The food is delicious & plentiful & the coffee is great.
All of this & I haven't even gotten to the view...which is really spectacular!! The view from the rooms are like nothing you could ever imagine. The restaurant looks out onto the amazing view & there are outdoor decks with tables & chairs to sit & take it all in.
I highly reccommend this beautiful inn & restaurant without any hesitation to anyone who is looking for a great, friendly place to get away. I know you will enjoy your time there.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kat8NY
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We spent a night at the Lookout Point Inn. It was my first time in the Catskills and what a great experience. Ron and Laurie were more than hospitable. They were friendly, entertaining and gracious hosts. Ron even mailed me my computer power cord that I had left behind. The views were fantastic and add to a relaxing, stress free environment!

We definitely plan on making a return trip!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachlcsw
Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at this very cozy, very comfortable inn. We were celebrating a milestone anniversary and had originally planned a New England cruise that we needed to cancel because of a change in my husbands job. I was very nervous going to an Inn -sight-unseen but was happy with the reviews it got here at trip-advisor (except that last one). When we arrived we got such a warm welcome from Ron (the owner) and had an absolutely wonderful dinner in their restaurant (Laurie, Rons wife, is the cook there). There was no reason to look for local restaurants after that. The food was incredible.We went to the room, #8, where there was a four poster bed with pillow top mattress and down comforter. I knew this was a perfect chioce but things only got better. When we woke up the next morning- the views from our room as well as the Inn were spectacular. The "raid the refrigerator breakfast" was a unique experience for us and just added to the "stress-free" enviroment of the Inn. We both have jobs that are very demanding and now know we can look forward to a weekend here and unwind. We got home and started to plan our next escape from the real world. I would and already have recommended "The Point Lookout Mountain Inn" to my family and co-workers.
Thank you Ron and Laurie for a weekend to remember

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Where do I start? The pictures of this hotel are deceiving, for sure. The view is spectacular, but that's it. My family chose this hotel because it was the only one in the area that allowed dogs. We arrived to check in and were given keys for the room and the door after the inn was locked, however, when we returned that evening, the key for the outside door didn't even work. And naturally, there was no one around. We had to wait 20 minutes before someone working in the restaurant was leaving for the night.

Once in the room, I was overwhelmed by the dusty pink, cherub, and all over horrid 80s theme. There was one full sized bed, and one tiny cot folded up which had no place to fit! The only way to fit it was to totally block the bathroom and room doors... fire hazard... which, speaking of that...

We happened to be staying over during a storm, and naturally in the location the Point is in, the light show was out of control. However, without shades on one of our room windows, we were kept up all night by the constant flashing light... and of course the 3 separate occasions of the fire alarm going off, and of course not being able to get out because of the lack of room ANYWHERE.

Though the room was clean, everything was so old it was hard to tell. The bathroom tub was dirty. The carpet was so old it smelled. Our dog didn't even want to sleep on it. The television only had one channel, and it was in black and white... there was WiFi available, but only with a password... which of course couldn't be obtained because no one was around, at all!

We tried to get the breakfast we paid for in the morning, but no one was around, and the lousy key we had wouldn't open the door. It was absurdly overpriced, not even worth the trip for the view (which was so clouded over it didn't matter), and not to mention the lack of sleep thanks to the lightning and fire alarms. And could we complain to anyone about it in the office? Naww... no one was there! Don't even waste your money. I'll be contacting them for a discount or refund, which I probably won't even get because I doubt anyone will answer...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
43  Thank nynative3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windham
Hotel Vienna
Hunter Mountain Resort
Hunter Mountain Resort
#4 of 4 in Hunter
Beds On Clouds Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Captains Inn Point Lookout? Share your experiences!