“Solid lodging, extremely close to Whiteface Mtn”

The Hungry Trout Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We chose this location as our accommodation to complement a 3 day ski trip to Whiteface Mountain. The proximity to the mountain is very good - it takes less than 3 minutes to drive to the base lodge.

We stayed in the "deluxe" rooms, one that had a recent renovation to the bathroom. It was a modest 90 dollars plus taxes. The room was adequately sized with a tube TV and two queen beds. The beds were a little on the soft side but otherwise the room was very nicely furnished and clean. The bathroom featured some nice new fixtures and a walk in shower. The best part is a time controlled fan and heat lamp for the bathroom.

The owner is very friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. I would stay here again - the only drawback is the distance from Lake Placid itself, but we sacrificed that in exchange for being very close to the mountain.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jltao27

Reviewed February 4, 2014

We drove up from Toronto for a weekend ski trip @ Whiteface Mountain and were very pleased with every aspect of out stay. The rooms, dining, and location blew away all of our expectations.

Jerry and his staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and did a great job during our stay. The food in the dining room restaurant was very filling, extremely tasty, and reasonably priced. The food in the pub was just as good, which is why we didn't even look for anywhere else to even try!

Our rooms were very clean and tidy, we booked king and 2 queen rooms. If we needed anything the staff was there ready to help with no hesitation.

The Location was really close to the mountain, it was a :30 second drive door to door which was a priority we had when booking.

This is a great resort, with great people, great food, and awesome hospitality. We will be spreading the word to our fellow skiers!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed in a renovated room for I believe $10 extra. This is well worth the extra money cause it is clean and functional. The beds are very comfy; maybe they are the same for all rooms. Very quiet, and nice view of the White Face Mtn in the bay window. The food is a little expensive, not unlike other similar establishment in the area. The quality is good, but portion is small. The view of the Ausable river in the dining room is spectacular. House keeping, checking in and out were all smooth.

Room Tip: I enjoyed room 11 because it is one of the renovated ones. I think they call them Deluxe or somethi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed two nights as part of a weekend package with the Santa's Workshop attraction. With the package you got two nights accommodations at the Hungry Trout with Dinner Friday and Saturday night and Breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Also, Santa's Workshop had set up entertainment for the kids each night.

When we arrived Friday afternoon precipitation had just started but I noticed that the parking lot was completely covered in ice....at first I thought it was a little odd but then started to think maybe that was the norm in the North Country.

Regarding the facility... it's a not a resort.... lets call it what it is... a roadside motel that happens to abut a river famous for trout fishing and has a restaurant and bar on the property but far enough away from the rooms that the property could be sub-divided and the restaurant sold off and no one would know any different.

So, this mixed precipitation comes down for the next two days and there is the owner Jerry (a very nice enough older chap) totally unprepared. I'm not sure if he was caught off guard by the weather or just didn't want to spend the money on salting and sanding the lot. He used what ever salt he had sparingly to try to coat the walkway to the restaurant but every time you left your room you took the risk of falling on your behind,

The room was clean and fine, but it was just a room. The Bathroom had upgraded fixtures and seemed clean. The pictures on their website make the place look more resort like than it really is.

So, as I said we had the room for 2 nights as part of a package with Santa's Workshop and then we planned on staying on our own another 4 nights. On Sunday the ice was so bad that they closed Santa's Workshop so around 11AM we headed to Lake Placid and did some shopping on Main Street which had no ice or snow on it.

I had booked my room in June and was quoted a rate of $109 a night but we were told by the people in the room next to us that they were paying $79 and night and Jerry even thought we were paying $99 a night...so I have no idea if they just pick prices out of thin air.

Sunday night after we return from Lake Placid we are unwinding and watching TV when the power goes out....well along with the power being out so was the heat. I sleep with a CPAP machine and none of us got a good night's sleep in the cold with my snoring.

The power finally came back at 6 AM and I discovered I could get a room at the Crown Plaza in Lake Placid, which is a real resort, for $11 more a night. So I walk in to the office and Jerry asks if we are leaving. I explained that I can't risk being without power and the use of my CPAP machine nor risk falling on the ice as I have already had 1 hip replacement. He was cordial but never offered to comp the room or give a discount....frankly, while I realize the weather was out of his control but when you rent a room you expect it to have power and heat.

That said...I don't know if I would go back there because there are a lot of other choices in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
JerryBot, Owner at The Hungry Trout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

The day this wonderful man arrived at our facility, a major ice storm hit our community that lasted three days and nights. It devastating trees, roads, power lines and, of course, driveways and sidewalks. It was the worst weather event here in two decades.
This facility spent $2,000 in plowing and sanding fees in three days trying to keep up with an unending barrage of rain that traveled through a 48 degree temperature elevation (that of Lake Placid) prior to landing in 30 degree temperature here at this facility. No ice in Lake Placid and higher elevations, MAJOR ice accumulation here next to Whiteface Mountain (which closed for a day because of it.)
We worked each day and into the nights trying to keep up with the work required to maintain a safe condition for our guests. We would sand, it would freeze over, sand again...freeze over again. We have over 300 yards of driveway to maintain on this 10 acre property.
There were 12 power company trucks with 30 employees parked a few miles away ready to fix the power lines that were surely expected to break that evening and they did. This owner immediately got dressed and went to every room handing out flashlights and detailing the problem to our guests, all of whom were very understanding and appreciative of my efforts and happy the power returned in the night . For this man to suggest that less than every effort was taken to keep our sidewalks and driveways safe and walkable is preposterous. That chipping sound you heard that night, sir, was me removing yet another ice build up in front of your door!
Regarding his rate issue, I, like every other owner or manager in this business, am very happy to discount a room to guests who have been inconvenienced in some fashion during their stay, even if it's a result of something not of our doing. It's easier to do so, however, if the guest is pleasant, understanding, polite and appreciative.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 6th anniversary at The Hungry Trout in Oct 2013. I wish we would have gone a bit earlier in the month when it was NOT snowing, but we managed to have a great time anyway. We forgot my fly reel and Evan at the (closed but open for us) fly shop was kind enough to loan me one vs. making me buy one. Many thanks, Evan. He took some time to encourage us to try lobbing the kitchen sink( sculpin pattern) at late season feeders and the first day we had no luck. The next day hubby saw some trout surface feeding at a "beginner's paradise" right behind the restaurant and I was able to snag a nice 13-14" brown on an elk hair caddis. BOOOYAH! Made my whole trip!! We loved the convenience of the two on site eateries with great food and drinks. Our room was newly renovated, modern, clean and the BED was SO comfy, as mentioned by previous reviewers. The staff/owners showed personal attention and it was greatly appreciated. I will spread the word to fellow fishermen and friends to stay w/ you in the future. We WILL be back. Thanks so much for a great weekend!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amykatefoster
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Cozy rooms and wonderful dining experiences await you at the Hungry Trout. Our room was comfortable and afforded us a beautiful view of the mountains. The restaurant has excellent food. Our steaks were done perfectly! The soups are very tasty. We have stayed there before and will stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our group of 7 walked in on a saturday night, no reservations, and were immediately seated in the large dining room with a great view of the river. The dinners ranged from pan fried trout, prime rib, pork chops and grilled trout. No one had any complaints. the food was hot and the service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. The prices were in line with the area, which i have No problem paying for as long as it is very good, which it was.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
#4 of 9 in Wilmington
Lake House
Lake House
#8 of 31 in Lake Placid

Been to The Hungry Trout Resort? Share your experiences!