“Excellent Host, Great Location”

Ledge Rock at Whiteface
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Wilmington
Binghamton, New York, United States
“Excellent Host, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our crew stayed 4 days and loved every minute, FCMC FOREVER. We had a need for a large gathering family type atmosphere. We all ride motorcycles and bring in a truck and trailer for community tent complete with bar-b-que and tables and chairs. Very accommodating to our needs and even printed weather reports for our rides as well as taking pictures. He printed out a huge group shot and gave enough copies for everyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark C

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at a Ledge Rock in a Skyward Room during 29 June-2 July. The hotel was highly recommended by our friends who stayed there already 4 times and we loved it as much as they said!
It is a very cozy hotel, close to the road but built by the hill which gives you privacy from the cars and people. A great location - just a few minutes from the Whiteface Mountain, spacious and extremely clean rooms with coffee maker (can not live without coffee :)), fridge, microwave and air-conditioner; magnificent view of the mountain from the balcony. A very friendly owner David gave us all kind of info we needed, nice restaurants nearby and lots of places to dine out in Lake Placid. A great advantage is a recreation room with small pool table, fireplace, various board games and movies; a pool outside to cool down and relax after day activities was a big plus.
Gorgeous nature, plenty of activities all year around; we were surprised with very reasonable ski & stay packages for coming winter.
We highly recommend a Ledge Rock at Whiteface and definitely will be back! Thank you David!
Anna & Yuri

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AY_View
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I checked in on 17 March and the owner appeared to be polite and professional. How wrong I was! Returning from Lake Placid there was an extremely foggy night with almost zero visibility. I attempted to pull in the driveway, but due to the combined effect of poor lighting what appeared to be a driveway it was in fact a grassy area about 10 feet ahead of the real driveway. As the ground was very soft my car got stack in the mud and I had to call AAA to tow me out. When I saw the tow truck coming I went to meet the driver at the car and one the owners 3 dogs which were let loose in the parking lot bit me, fortunately not hard enough to draw blood. One of the owners family members appeared immediately and accused me of being drunk, ruining his lawn and asked me to pay for the “ lawn damage” , after they will receive an estimate from a landscaping company. I tried to that explain that area was already damaged by at least 10 other cars (counting the tire tracks) whose owners were similarly confused due to the almost inexistent lighting conditions, but stated that he is not going to listen, period. Obviously, the intent was that in my absence, the quotation would be for the entire area damaged by others and not the two tracks that I left in place. He immediately called the state troopers saying that he will ask them to charge me with careless driving. Upon surveying the area, the attending officer confirmed that under the existing lighting conditions he would have made exactly the same error. Obviously I wasn’t charged with anything. The owner then asked me to vacate the premises immediately, which I did with a great sense of relief.
If you have any kids with you, beware of the dogs. If you happen to drive in, beware of the owner!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank cgeng
, Owner at Ledge Rock at Whiteface, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
This gentlemen turned onto our lawn about 50 ft before our driveway entrance on a foggy evening. The area was very wet. His car sank deeply into the mud . His attempts to free the car tore the lawn up considerably. We had no idea of the incident until the next morning. We live on premises and can be reached at any hour by simply dialing zero from any room phone.
The next morning, I asked my son to get a license plate number because we did not know if the car belonged to a guest or someone staying elsewhere. As my son approached the car, a tow truck appeared and the guest came down from his room. My son asked the guest for his insurance information so that we could file a claim. The guest became agitated and began swearing at our son. At this point, he called the New York State Police to get the insurance information from him..
At no time, did we or the State Trooper accuse him of being drunk., He did not state that our dog bit him nor did he exhibit any evidence of a dog bite. The State trooper estimated the damage at $500.00 We will happily provide a copy of the police report, to verify the incident.
After the police left, the guest entered our office and began to swear at me. He also threatened to sue us. He did leave when we asked. While we sympathize with the guests problem, we do not believe the financial burden should be ours. We submitted a claim for $375.49 to his insurance company and were promptly reimbursed for the damage.
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I'm familiar with the area as I ski Whiteface each year and living in Montreal, I always spend 2 or 3 nights a year in Wilmington. However, I had never tried the Ledge Rock. I was attracted by the location (it's as close as you can get from the mountain) and the fair pricing for lodging. Met the owner at check in, our lift passes had been printed earlier that day and we were ready to hit the gondola at 8:30 AM, which is great. Large clean rooms although a bit outdated (carpet, tube TV, soft mattress) but you don't go there to watch a film in bed. A great feature is the recreation room upstairs which has a fireplace, a small pool table, a few board games and treats such as home-cooked brownies (which were great by the way!). All in all: fantastic location, friendly owner (I forgot my iPhone power cord & adapter and he shipped it back to me) and great bang for your buck. Would definitely return. Thanks David!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Flynt_HEC
ottawa ON canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stayed thursday and Friday 3rd and 4th of Feb 2012, great service enjoyed a fantastic weekend... so my 13 year old daugther says, me and my wife too. Clean rooms, a nice big family room upstairs, had fun with the owners dogs and cats after we insisted to see them. A really decent price for ski tickets a hundred yards away, a great view in the morning to whiteface mountain (need to tune your skis..it is icy but not overly so) What can i say? Best value if you want to ski, sorry but way better than Tremblant. If you are from Ottawa, you can notice by the other family skiers. This our third trip in 5 years, and Ledgerock rocks! Now looking at the last review, spoke to owner about it. Well if you want to reserve pay the deposit otherwise suck it up, What the spouse says and the big mean husband responds to, well I'm a husband too, understand she is upset, but she can be wrong....ok so can I ;-}

Room Tip: was mentioning the bad previous review
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank slaties
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

These guys charged my credit card for a cancellation after I called back to cancel in LESS THAN 24HOURS!!! before we even got a confirmation from them!!! No reasoning with them. They hung up in my face! Rude, arrogant! They lied about what they told us over the phone, they lied about their policy. They lied about sending us a confirmation. They changed their story to suit the argument of the moment and them hung up when they could not answer. Crooks! These guys are shifty, greedy, two faced liars.
Deal with these guys at your own risk. BEWARE!

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mike R
Stoney Creek, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

I cant say enough good things about the family that runs this place. They are truly good people.
The room was very clean but quite outdated. The TV was tiny but we had every thing we needed with a mini fridge and microwave. The Barbque came in handy also.
It is a good bit out of town with no restaraunts nearby so you will have to travel alot to eat or bring food to the room.
I was a bit miffed that the prices were almost double just for the Iron Man weekend. However the whole town of Lake Placid does this too. Suppy and Demand. As a $125 room it was perfectly priced but as a $200 room it is not up to the standard. Sorry

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank 47Coco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
#3 of 9 in Wilmington
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid

Been to Ledge Rock at Whiteface? Share your experiences!