“Unacceptable”

Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Williamsville
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed here via a booking on Southwest and had paid in advance. They insisted that there was no payment. I had to call Southwest before I received satisfaction that they were not going to charge me.
The rooms are filthy. There was brown mildew in the bathroom on the wallpaper. Wallpaper was peeling. I had to move a bureau to plug in an appliance and the baseboard areas throughout the room were filthy. The room, in a word, is tired. We could hear discussions in the next room -- walls are that thin.
The room was no-smoking but it was very apparent from the residual odor that it had been a smoking room.
The lobby is dingy, the rugs are worn, and is very unappealing. The front desk is less than friendly.
This stay was a mistake and Clarion is off my list for hotels to use.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank David B

Reviewed October 24, 2010

My colleague and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel, left at 10pm, came back at 3am to find that both of our MacBook laptops ($5000 value alltogether) got stolen while we were gone. Cash from her wallet left in the room was also taken (wallet was in her purse in her bag). Called the lobby and spoke with the staff on duty, but they offered no help, since there were no security cameras or ways of tracking who entered the room and when. I lost all my work and project files on that laptop, thanks to their poor security measures.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank veryupset911
Reviewed October 24, 2010

The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was great and coffee, cookies and fresh fruit were available 24/7.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank becky1618
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I young couple was married on 10/2 and as our gift to them we booked the Clarion for a 2-night Honeymoon for them. Five women went in on this hotel as our gift to this couple. They were not planning a honeymoon and we felt it was important they had one. The bride has Cerebral Palsy and we were thrilled to see her experience getting married. Unfortunately, what we had hoped was a nice romantic weekend turned into anything but. Upon checking in (we checked in for them, paid cash for the room, and went to their room with gift baskets of goodies, rose pedals for the bed, etc.) The hotel was very dirty from the moment we walked into it. Wrappers and dust all over the floors. The breakfast/food area the wallpaper was half ripped off the wall and large pieces were just left hanging. It just looked "shabby." As we walked to the room, there was liter everywhere and it just looked run down and dirty. Upon entering the room, the bed was just thrown together. It looked liked someone just quicked tucked in blankets/sheets in a rush to move on. We actually had to remake the bed! There was dirt on the counter area, etc. I went to place food in refrigerator and the door had hair all over the inside and dirt. I had to clean it out and wipe off counters to make the room presentable. Honestly, I would have asked for our money back but we were rushing off to the wedding reception. The morning after they arrived, they left the hotel to visit some family who came into town. Upon their return, they had no housekeeping done. They called the front desk and asked if someone could empty their garbage can and they needed clean sheets. They were told "No." They would not change their bed linen or sheets! The groom actually got so upset he took the dirty sheets to the front desk and requested clean sheets to make his own bed! They knew at check in this was for their honeymoon and they were handicapped individuals. I cannot believe this is how they spent their honeymoon...arguing for clean sheets and their trash to be emptied in what was already a dirty room and hotel. I immediately wrote the manager and called with 2 days of them checking out. It's been two weeks and not one call has been made. They owed this couple an apology at the very least! I contacted corporate and they also did not respond for more than one week. I called again this morning, only to be told they will not speak to me despite the fact "I" paid the bill. They want to speak to the couple who stayed there. I explained they would not be able to understand them over the telephone and was told simply they would not speak to me or apologize to me on their behalf! What kind of customer service do you call this??? I am appalled at the treatment this special couple has received. More importantly, I am embarrassed that I choose this hotel for such a special ocassion and gift. I would have rather put the money in their card at the reception. We were trying to do something special and give them something memorable! I would never, ever stay at this hotel again and honestly I think this has tarnished all five women who paid for this honeymoon opinion of Choice Hotels. They not only lost the honeymooners future business, they lost five other couples as well. Was a simple letter of apology to the couple worth losing all this potential business? Shame on you Clarion and Choice Hotels!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Disneyfanatic60
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Stayed one night for $99 which included car park for 2 weeks. Hotel was probable pretty good in 1990s. Hotel has breakfast but I left before 6am. Hotel has free shuttle from 6am to midnight. Cab ride has a flat fee of $15 outside of that time. If you can find a better deal, stay elsewhere. If not, stay here is good for a night.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Quick checkin, I had a great initial impression of the room, it was very large with a recliner, table and desk. Internet was very fast (wired). The VCR/DVD player was a nice touch and the room was filled with lots of bright lamps, unusual for a hotel today. There were lots of television channels, more than your typical hotel. A refrigerator and microwave were included. The bathroom was a little small considering the size of the room and could have used more counter space. The indoor pool was great, the hot tub was wonderful with a great jet for your lower back after a day of sightseeing. The front desk staff was attentive. I had no trouble with parking and was able to consistently park near a door. There is only parking on one side of the hotel. Breakfast was good, with make your own waffles, toast and eggs. I didn’t care for the scrambled eggs, the rest was fine. Room had a refrigerator and microwave, but I didn't use them. There was a Cracker Barrel across the busy street, with many other restaurants within 1-3 miles. $75 a night for one person, tax was 13.75%. I would stay here again, but make sure you request a room facing away from the toll-way if you want peace and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We spent three nights at the Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport while in Buffalo for a family wedding. We reserved with one of the on-line booking services, picking the hotel for price, location, and the free extras.

Our medium-large room featured a comfortable king-sized bed, a bedside table, work desk, dresser, and TV cabinet, all in a light blond finish. Our room faced the New York State Thruway, a stone's throw away. I feared we might be kept awake all night by road noise, but running the air condition-heater fan on low speed totally blocked out any sound of traffic.

High-speed internet was complimentary, with a choice of WiFi or cable connection. The TV received about 20 local and satellite channels. I was disappointed that a hotel right on the border and with over half Canadian license plates in the parking lot did not offer any Canadian channels for guests from the Great White North.

The free breakfast was basic but filling, a choice of four dry cereals, hot oatmeal mix, a make-your-own waffle station, juice, coffee and tea. Our first morning we were offered rubbery scrambled eggs, and sausage my wife pronounced delicious. The other two mornings, hard-boiled eggs were on offer. Apples were out two mornings, and fruit salad the third morning.

The hotel has an inviting indoor swimming pool, a whirlpool,, and a small workout room. The pool is open from 5:00 a.m. to midnight, far more generous than most hotels we frequent. One night there were no pool towels available. The front desk suggested using our room towels, and then sent someone down to our room with a stack of fresh towels.

While the carpets were worn and stained in places and the walls a bit scuffed here and there, the hotel seemed spotlessly clean. In fact, we have never seen so many cleaning staff scurrying about in a hotel of this size.

Desk staff and the hostesses in the breakfast rooms were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamsville
Salvatore's Garden Place Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Quality Inn Buffalo Airport
Quality Inn Buffalo Airport
#20 of 22 in Cheektowaga
SpringHill Suites Buffalo Airport

Been to Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport? Share your experiences!