“Great room, service and price. -- Why would anyone complain?”

Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Williamsville
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked the room for one night (Oct. 17) on our way to Dallas and took advantage of their park and fly. There is no better service. We appreciate that the motel is not new, but it was very clean and comfortable. The pool and exercise area is one of the best I have seen in a motel of this size and class. The front desk was very accommodating. There was a bit of a mix up because we booked on line then made a change by calling direct. Initially, we had expected everything to be included, i.e. room, park'n fly and shuttle. By the time we got there, they did not have us on a Park'n Fly rate. However, that was quickly cleared up and we got everything for a lower rate than we had expected.
Our departure was at 5:00 a.m., well before their free breakfast so they provided us with breakfast in a bag which included a muffin, an orange or apple and a canned drink. If you wanted coffee, that was available 24 hr/day.
The room was not luxury, but a great deal better than many I have stayed in; even in some of the strip hotels in Las Vegas. You should read my review of the Quad in Las Vegas.
My next stop over in Buffalo WILL include the Clarion.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LPOJIBWA
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport

Reviewed October 22, 2013

After reading a few of the reviews here I was a bit nervous, about our upcoming stay (it was Oct. 13-14). We were very pleasantly surprised and impressed, by the service given to us! When we went to check in our online booking was weird, it was there but they were having an issue checking us in, so instead they gave us a new room at a better price and got us set up right away. Everything in the room was great! The towels and linens were soft and clean and so was the room. I don't know what or why others were complaining about, I mean it is not a brand new hotel, but it was not falling down or dirty. Breakfast was wonderful as was all of the staff we interacted with, thank you for a great last night on our vacation!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank J W
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I'd like to make this review based on my experience and so others can see that this is really not the place to stay on your trip. I booked this hotel off Hotwire and with a rating of 70% good reviews and a 3 star, I thought it wouldn't be so bad. After finding out it was the Clarion, I immediately looked up the reviews prior to coming. Some were horrible (as you can see) and some were decent. Because it had already been booked, I figured we would just stay here and it was only 1 night, it cant be that bad. I was wrong. Upon arriving to the hotel for check in, I was not greeted in a polite manner and was disappointed when we got our room key. Everything in the room is outdated, and the smell was not pleasant. An air fresher would be of a great use. We took a walk around the hotel amenities and again.. disappointed. The only plus.. was the pool. We left to go eat some food and come back. Upon returning we just looked around our room, and dust off the bed etc.. we found it to be dirty behind the drawers and dusty behind the tv. As a place that got 70%, id figure it would have been able to hire appropriate housekeepers to do the job. Now after we showered, we lay to go to bed, and we just did not feel right. Upon turning back on the light, we noticed little bugs on our sheets. That was it for me. I wanted to check out. It was 2:30am!!! Upon checking out, the gentlemen did not ask me for my room number nor my name. He just took my room keys. And gave me a receipt. After we had left, my partner who I was with, asked why didn't the guy ask for your room number? did he check out the right room? After looking at the receipt.. IT WAS THE WRONG ROOM CHECKED OUT!! I had to call back and make sure he did his job correctly.
Overall.. this place is not the place to stay. We came to get a little break yet this place was not worth a 70% review. There was lack of customer service skills, lack of cleanliness, lack of ability to do job right. I wish I had taken pictures but I just wanted to get out of there asap! Terrible experience.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at this hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
karas23, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

I am very sorry for the experience that you had. Can you please contact me in regards to the issues because I would like to make things right. I will definitely be investigating the issues that you had, and correcting them. We have our new furniture coming in this month for the guest rooms and we are renovating our lobby very soon. We are working hard on our renovations and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Michael Karas

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor (as I do with all my hotel stays), and I was able to get it with the Choice Hotel's 30% off Fall Sale. I figured because I was getting it at such a great rate, I could put up with the negatives that had been written about this place. Upon pulling up to the hotel, my heart sank into my stomach. I thought "what have I gotten us into!?!" The place looks like it's about to fall down. It does not look well taken care of AT ALL. It looks "dirty" for lack of a better word. Our check in was fine, and once I was inside I felt a little better, but not great. I noticed after staying 2 nights that everyone who worked there had facial piercings and visible tattoos, and they all wore whatever they wanted... there didn't seem to be any sort of a uniform. Let me be clear that I actually have a nose ring myself, so I have no judgement on people who do, but it was just very odd that EVERY single person working there that weekend were all around the same age (mid 20's) and not very professional looking. Everyone seemed to be fairly nice though, so that's all I can ask for. Anyway, we got up to our King room which was non-smoking, but there were rooms around us that were smoking, so the halls stunk bad sometimes when someone was actively smoking in their room. It's beyond me why hotels still allow smoking... most don't, but apparently this one still does. Anyway, our room was huge, which was great! Lots and lots of space, and it was clean enough that I could handle it, but I will point out the things that were dirty: the loveseat in our room was COVERED in stains (I never sat on it... I refused). There was dried food or boogers on the information booklet that sits on the desk... ewwwww. There was a lot of dust and cobwebs behind the furniture. And lastly, we had a "balcony" that looked out into what appeared to be a low income housing street, so it wasn't a pretty view, but you could actually walk out onto the balcony because the sliding glass door opened. I actually thought about checking it out but I am SO SO SO glad I didn't because at night when the outside porch light was on, I looked onto the balcony and there were literally DOZENS of gigantic spiders!!! No one has been out to clean that balcony in months if not years. Looking out there was like being in a horror film, and if you don't like spiders, I'm pretty sure you'd have a hard time sleeping that night. Here were the positives: The breakfast was excellent! Lots of choices, and everything tasted great. The indoor pool was well kept and a warm and inviting environment. Our room was very large, so we had lots of room to move around and throw all of our stuff. But that's it! And since cleanliness/appearance is what ranks high on my must haves, I will not return.

Room Tip: If you want a nicer room get the upgraded King that has the business desk and love seat. It has a l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SParrinello
karas23, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

I am sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. We have reviewed our uniform policy and I am enforcing this policy to the fullest. We had an all staff meeting and this issue is being corrected. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I hope you can try us again as we are going through some renovations with new and exciting changes. Once again, I am sorry, and I assure you these issue are being attended to.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Upon checking in to the Clarion I was informed that they had overbooked. They did however, have a room for us. Thinking that was the end we went to our room. Then it began. Knocks on the door people trying to use their keys that yes were keyed to our room. That took phone calls to the front desk and me opening the door to let others know that this room was already taken. Then early in the morning the cleaning staff began knocking to see if we were staying or checking out, I might point out that checkout is noon and this started before nine a.m.. Our room was large no complaint there. Common areas need updated.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite. Much larger.
Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christine M

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you were disturbed in your room. We have express check-out at the hotel which enables guest to check out with out notifying the front desk. Housekeeping does knock throughout the day to see which guests have departed. There are instructed not to knock on doors with a "Do Not Disturb" sign. I am sorry there was a mix up at check-in and I will see who was working that night and correct the issue. Once again, I apologize for your experience and I hope you can try us again.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

For a hotel that is constantly booked, you'd think they made enough money to update the hotel and amenities. The room was old and outdated, the furniture looked like it belonged in a nursing home. My sheets were dusty and had strands of someone else's hair on them and when I pulled them back, there was some tiny bug on them (I thought it was a bed bug, I captured it in a plastic baggy and presented it to the front desk manager.) Speaking of insects, there was a spider on my ceiling! I was far too uncomfortable to sleep so I decided to take a shower. The bathroom was clean, but again, very outdated! And the wall-switch (to turn on the light) was crooked and dangling off exposing the hole behind it.

PS: there is no elevator! So me and my 60lb bag and to walk upstairs to locate our room. I wasn't made aware of this until I'd walked the length of the hotel (from the back entrance near my room to the front desk where, after I asked the front desk person, was informed "no elevator but its only 12 steps to the second floor.")

The next morning, I told the manager of my experience (and gave him the bed bug?) He was very kind and apologized and told me they do not have bed bugs, but he would make sure the room was thoroughly checked and sprayed for insects. He discounted my room, but I will not be back! The Clarion chain desperately needs to update this hotel! In every area from the bumpy, pot-hole filled parking lot to the outdated furniture.

PROS: nice staff, decent price, okay location.

CONS: old and outdated, dirty, dusty, bugs, outdated furniture, no elevator, hair on my sheets, holes in the walls...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Soixante17

I am sorry for the experience that you had. I will investigate to ensure these issues do not happen again. We are updating our furniture this fall. We do weekly inspections to ensure we do not have insect problems, which includes taking down the headboards and mattress inspections. Our lobby renovations are beginning this November. I hope you can try us again. Once again, I apologize for you experience.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came in from NC (driving) and we stayed here. The facility was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly. The kids had a great time at the pool! Great location, we did not have to travel far for anything. Overall it was a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us. It is great to receive compliments as we are working hard to serve our guests. I am glad you had a great experience, and enjoyed our facilities. We hope to see you again soon and thank you for your wonderful comments.

Michael Karas GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamsville
Salvatore's Grand Hotel
Sleep Inn Buffalo Airport
Sleep Inn Buffalo Airport
#13 of 22 in Cheektowaga
SpringHill Suites Buffalo Airport

Been to Clarion Hotel Buffalo Airport? Share your experiences!