“Best Beast on 'Weck!”

Charlie the Butcher's Kitchen
Ranked #3 of 154 Restaurants in Williamsville
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“Best Beast on 'Weck!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

"Beef on Weck" is a Buffalo tradition. Along with Anchor bar hot wings, it's THE defining indigenous Buffalo dish. Nobody does it better than Charlie. Oh you can pay more at Schwabl's, but it won't TASTE better.

Charlie's kitchen is located about a mile from the Buffalo airport, no doubt to serve the many Buffalo residents returning from parts afar, and DYING for a great, big B.O.W. It's fairly inexpensive, and a downright bargain when you consider the freshly sliced, perfectly cooked, and delicious slices of beef piled high on the sandwich.

Charlie's is a must for us when we make the hike up to Toronto from Virginia. We time it out so we hit Buffalo at lunch-time. YUUUMMMMMMM-OOOOOOO!

• Visited August 2013

Portland, Oregon
“Kinda disappointing, but you'll probably still go anyway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I will always visit restaurants like this when traveling. I want to enjoy the regional specialty at one of the classic original places, the older the better. Unfortunately, no one in our group was impressed at all with the beef on weck here. The bun was not very fresh, which was surprising, and it needed to be dipped in more au jus before serving to make this appetizing. So what we ate was a pretty dry and small sandwich, which is totally the opposite of what we had at other establishments while in town. I can't complain about the meat, but it took forever to get our food. We were shocked that this was not awesome, considering how adorable the building looked.

You will probably still go there because of the great press it gets, but get some dip on the side and hope for the best.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank some_honest_guy
Pflugerville, Texas
“The beef on weck was featured on Best Thing I Ever Ate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We ended up trying this place because the sandwich was featured on Best Thing I Ever Ate, and after reading some reviews here on Trip Advisor and checking out some videos on youtube, I decided that I had to try it. I am so glad I did, because it was delicious.

First off, the building and the inside are much smaller than they look. You walk in one side and down the counter and give your order. Then you step into the dining area through the door and pay for your order. I would say if it is crowded, get your order to go and as someone else mentioned, get the au jus on the side so it doesn't get soggy. The service is very matter of a fact, and is not a warm and fuzzy sort of thing. I didn't find it particularly slow or fast, it just seemed efficient to me like we got our sandwiches as quickly as they could in the order we were in.

When we were there, Charlie was actually cutting up meat and doing prep and didn't look famous at all. He just looked like a very methodical worker. In fact, if I hadn't seen the videos, I wouldn't have guessed he was the owner. We sat at the counter and just sort of enjoyed in a surreal way the complete uncelebrityism of the whole experience while waiting for our order. Most of the prep area is completely open on the other side of the counter so you can easily watch them assembling your sandwich.

Anyway, we got the beef on weck and just the regular fries. The fries were fine, though nothing spectacular. The beef on weck though, was truly amazing. The bun has just the right amount of salt, and when you add some horseradish, it combines to make just the right combination of flavors. The meat is a thicker slice than you might expect, so not thin slivers. I've been wanting another sandwich since we went and this is a problem since Buffalo is not at all close to central Texas, so I have to live with disappointment.

My son also wants me to mention that the chocolate chip cookies (huge by the way) are quite yummy also in case you are in the mood for something sweet. In case you are a baker, they do sell a jar of the spice mix for the rolls so you can make your own and in hindsight I wished I had picked one up so that I could try to replicate it as that will probably be the closest way I'll get to enjoy one anytime soon.

• Visited July 2013
Naples, Florida
“OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Went to Charlie's for the first time yesterday. It's your basic burger and beef on weck place in Buffalo. Wait time for the food to come out was unexpectedly long for a simple order but the food was ok......the amount of meat on the beef on weck could have been more generous.
Despite that, we will go back for a burger/fries lunch.

• Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Best Beef on a Weck and Sweet Potato Fries with honey and butter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Yum. Read a review about this place and the beef on a weck and their sweet potato fries with honey and butter.

I had never tried the fries with honey AND butter, try it,so glad that I did, melted in my mouth. I can't say enough about them. Best meal in Buffalo this past weekend.

• Visited July 2013