“horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Stony Point, New York
“horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Decided last minute to stay in White Plains so I could be close to where I was taking a big exam. No other hotels were available as a result of the hurricane. What a horrible place! Upon check in they didn't even tell me about breakfast and upon check out the front desk was closed. I had to walk across the street in the cold to check out at the senior housing. Walked into my room and it smelled horrible. I opened my deodorant and left that on the night stand next to me to try and help. My shower had hair and dirt all over! I had to shower so after running it for a little and the dirt remained, I used a towel to line the floor of the shower. Then the water wasn't draining. Oh and the towels are so small. The carpet was coming up in the room, the bed sheets were yellow. Slept in long pants and long sleeves and grabbed a blanket from my car to line the bed. I did not complain to anyone because I was focused on my exam and didn't want to work myself up. They will get an email from me though. That being said, I did not leave a tip in the room!! Thank goodness i only had to spend about 12 hours there. I feel horrible for anyone needing extended stays and getting stuck there!

Room Tip: Don't book any room here!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank shannon c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were victims of Hurricane Sandy. We paid for 5 days. On the 3rd day, although we locked our door & put do not disturb sign on the door, we returned from the playground at about 3:30 to find our room burglarized: there we were without a home & about $800 worth of items was stolen! There security was greatly lacking. The management credited our 2 remaining prepaid days but wouldn't even refund the day of the theft. Also, tv didn't work; they did not provide adequate sheets; grungy bedding, empty beer can greeted us in the closet....a nightmare experience...they really took advantage of people in need ...probably even an inside job.

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank alyharry

Travelers are raving about these White Plains hotels

Westchester, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Because of Hurricane Sandy, we had no electricity, heat or hot water in our house. All of the hotels in the White Plains area were sold out, and Esplanade was the only one available. I should have known that there is a reason why no-one wants to stay here. With no other options, I booked Esplanade. After reading other reviews, I knew I wasn't going to get 5 stars but also this hotel is not cheap 150$/night you should expect it to be at least decent. But I wasn't prepared for how horrible my experience would be. Stay away from this place. Upon arrival, the room had a strong stench of cigarets, it was nauseating. The carpet wasn't vacuumed. So I attempted to cleaning the floors and found multiple items of drug paraphernalia. When I ran to the front desk to ask for something to be done, manager was not surprised and said they can't do anything for me not even clean the room. I asked for a vacuum cleaner and vacuumed the floor myself. The water faucet wasn't working, you couldn't shut it off. They didn't have a plumber onsite, it took them a day to find a plumber that could fix it. The sheets are not cotton (polyester type of material) which makes your skin very itchy. There was white powder underneath the bed and dresser which I think is boric acid for roaches but I'm not completely sure what it is. I wanted to check out early and they said they can't check me out earlier than my intended stay and will not refund me. I will never come back here and advise anybody who can stay somewhere else to do so.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelingMom10010
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was on a business trip with two other people. We were booked here due to a shortage of places to stay in the area. We had to check in at the front desk for the Sr Living Apts (which are attached). The poor girl working there had to do EVERYTHING by herself. She was great! There was no Internet in some of the rooms, the carpet was awful, the bathroom totally outdated. Definitely not worth the cost of the hotel. Shower was mildewed. The staff does all they can but they can only do so much in this dumpy place. They have a 48 hr cancellation notice and I can see why as no one would want to stay. There isn't even parking. Thank goodness I only had to stay one night!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank TravelerSM
guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Excellent location and service, we stayed 2.5 months and all the staff/management made us felt like home, they provided us with EVERYTHING we need since we were staying with our newly born baby. We really enjoyed our stay in The Esplanade.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Michael E, Front Office Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
We are glad you gave us the opportunity to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future.

Michael Evans
Front Office Manager
Bangalore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Pro's

1. Good Location. A few minutes walk to major stores and restaurants..
2. Front Desk try their best to do their best but Service is nothing to Brag about.
3. Nice soft beds :) - If you are stopping by for a night just to get some sleep, Its not bad.

Cons

1. Carpets are worn out. Rooms are shabby.
2. No Breakfast. On days there was breakfast, the menu is bad..
3. Right opposite a Funeral Parlor

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear AlvinSaldanha08
Thank you for your comments. We apologize for the condition of your room and the hallway carpets. We are in the process of starting a big renovation that would address these issues. Also, I would like to remind you that breakfast is available everyday between the hours of 7:00 AM and 9:30 AM Monday through Friday and until 10:00 AM Saturday and Sunday. I have also addressed the issue of customer service with the Front Desk staff. Our goal is to provide excellent and friendly service to all our guests.
If your travels should bring you back to the area, we look forward to the opportunity to serve again.
Michael Evans
Front Office Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is probably my worst business trip experience. This building is archaic; there's no WiFi - how is this even possible? They charged me $9.99 to use an ethernet cord. They don't have the most basic amenities - IE: I forgot my toothpaste, they don't have any. There is no hair dryer.

For almost $200, this is ridiculous. I will never stay here again and encourage others to find alternative places to stay if possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 8 in White Plains
4.5 of 5 stars 390 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
Residence Inn White Plains Westchester County

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!