“care home”
Review of Esplanade Hotel

Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in White Plains
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and hardly saw a soul except what you would call some down and out people who have stayed here for years.
This was not a hotel it was like a hostel.The rooms were shabby we had a funeral parlour outside our bedroom window .
Do not stay here

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyndamunro

Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

The cons: parking is $8 per day unless you move your car by 8am, the rooms are dated and worn, the carpet is buckled in common areas and inside the room, our view was of a funeral home, the room key never seemed to work properly and one of the elevators was out of service. Overall, this hotel is in dire need of a makeover and good scrubbing. We decided to venture out for breakfast and not have breakfast at the hotel.
The pros: Location is amazing...you can walk to dinner on Mamaroneck Ave. in 2 minutes (would highly recommend Elements Roof top lounge), the front desk staff tries their best and the lady escorted us to the room when we checked in. In my opinion the location is really the best thing about this hotel. Based on value...the price is expensive based on the product.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Lvnc
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Had to stay in White Plains at the last-minute and this place is $60 less per night than the Crowne Plaza, and just a couple blocks from there. It's a little creepy-seeming -- barely saw a soul other than the front desk clerk who was pretty friendly. Room was large and clean but a little shabby tho important things like carpet and mattress were good. Free continental breakfast in a nice sunny room was okay and quick for getting out quickly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank nycjem
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This hotel is chock full of outdated furniture, depressing-looking rooms, and rude desk staff. My room was supposed to be a Deluxe Suite and I was unpleasantly surprised to find out I was placed in a regular suite which was in terrible shape. I was only upgraded after I pitched a fit and still had to pay the increased fee. That should have been comp'ed; it was their mistake. I won't stay here ever again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank EmelioEstevez
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I stayed over night at this hotel for one night. The shower curtain was covered in mold the paint in the bathroom area was coming from the wall. I woke up the next morning very itchy. Went to the emergency room the next day after our conference was over. To learn i was covered in "BED BUG BITES." They hurt like hell and very itchy. I very up set have tried to talk to the management at the hotel no return call.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel it will make you sick.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Tianna G
Reviewed November 6, 2011

First, I'll start by saying the positive. The two rooms that we stayed in were newly renovated. Apart from the 1980's looking bedspread and ratty blankets, everything was new (carpet, bathroom, tiles, kitchen). We got lucky on that one. We stayed here during a 5 day long power outage. We explained our situation to the front desk person, stating that we did not know how long we would need to book for. We were going to book 3 nights, but she told us that we could book night to night, and they would hold our room. She said explicitly that they would not give our room away. "Really?" we said. She repeated what she described as hotel policy. The next morning, we tried to extend our stay and another clerk said that our room had been given away. Neither the clerk, nor the manager would honor the other clerk's promise, or take any responsibility for their employee's actions. However, they did have a more expensive room that they could sell us. Hmm. How convenient. A more expensive room. In light of the fact that hotels all over the area were filling up with power outage refugees, we took the more expensive room out of desperation. We thought it ethical that they give us that room at our original price, but they felt it better to soak us for everything they possibly could. Unethical and sleazy, to say the least. Also, note that you must pay to park, pay for the internet via hard wire (and some rooms are not equipped for even this), and bring your own dish soap, shampoo, and paper towels/napkins. Corporate "suite's" in name only.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank kag51
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed at the esplanade this summer while working in near by valhalla for three months. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! This hotel is more like a motel, a roach motel. Lets begin here: There is no communication between managment and the staff. The staff knows nothing and cant even properly charge you for your room. My room was basically falling apart. Wall paper peeling off the walls leaking window, a bathroom that could have fit better at a gas station. and carpet that wasnt even laid flat (bubbling up everywhere) OH and If you need more towels to take a shower you better call at least 30 min before you need one!!! Cause it will take them FOREVER to bring you one.
Then there were the ants. The exterminator had to come three times to remove ants from my room. They were even in the bathroom! The esplanade blamed me for the ants saying that I left food out and showed me pictures of a dirty room, which they "claimed" was taken in my room. (Trust me the items shown in the picture were nothing that I owned!)
This hotel is not even worth the $100+/night they are charging. This hotel is more of a roach motel than anything. The mangers are incredibly rude and respond to you as if you are a child. Do not beliveve the pictures you see on the website! The rooms look nothing like the pictures!! (apparently there are some renovated?, no sorry dont think so) This hotel is a horrible waste of space. This hotel ruined my time in white plains this summer! My stay was uncomfortable, and for the most part unbearable I would rather sleep in my car than stay the night at the esplanade again.

Oh and if they try to put you on the 4th floor in the summer time get ready to be in sweat box.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook
HYATT house White Plains
HYATT house White Plains
#4 of 7 in White Plains

Been to Esplanade Hotel? Share your experiences!