“Really disappointing”

Renaissance Westchester Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
“Really disappointing”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This hotel seems to miss just a little bit everywhere which leads to a lousy experience.

Here are the pluses and minuses:

Pluses:
1) Staff is friendly but not overly helpful
2) Concierge lounge is great
3) Bar and breakfast area is excellent
4) Cleanliness of the rooms is good.
5) Aveda products are a nice touch.

Minuses:
1) Be aware, long walks to most rooms. I was in 587 and it took me 4-8 minutes to walk to my room or to reception.
2) Linens need updating for this quality of a hotel.
3) The internet here will make you long for the days of dial-up. It is just horrid and unacceptable. To put it in one word...shameful and they charge $12 for the privilege of wishing you had your internet service of 1999.
4) The bed is lumpy and not too comfortable.
5) Heating was spotty. At times it would feel like you were in a sauna and other times you would feel like you were in an ice house. They need to do better.
6) The heating system hurts your sleep quality. I woke up multiple times either freezing or sweating. Bad combination.
7) During winter, the room is unusually dry. My eyes were bloodshot each morning. I wish I could say it was because I was out clubbing but it was the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BusLeis45458

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The staff at this hotel win the award in every category, and especially for hospitality. I travel weekly away from home, sometimes with my children. Each visit they have gone above and beyond to provide comfort, amenities and compassion to help make each stray unforgettable. They have become my family and friends away from home. Once again, best hotel ever!

• Stayed January 2014
Mauricio P, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Melanie,
Great to hear we have created a home a way from home for you! We appreciate your loyalty to the team and we are looking forward for your return.

Gavin Hasty
Front Office Manager
DC
Reviewed January 3, 2014

stayed @ the Renaissance Westchester Hotel for the 2nd time w/my family this winter & had another great experience! this hotel offers newly renovated/well-priced rooms for an upscale hotel (complete w/comfy queen beds, perfect when traveling w/kids), great access to NYC, great/friendly staff & a true home away from home feel. we recommend it to anyone staying in the NY/westchester area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mauricio P, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear JenJen225,

Thank you for your review.
I’m glad that we're able to accommodate you and your family’s needs and make it feel like your home away from home.
We appreciate your business and look forward to your next visit with us!
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed here for one night after our plans for alternate lodging well through. We had a wonderful experience and would consider a similar hotel for our honeymoon.

It's a bit hard to get to as it is off of a one-way road right near where two high-ways intersect, but I think that that adds to the seclusion of the property. We made it without any wrong turns.

Our check in experience was quite nice, as the representative gave us a short tour and was quite pleasant. We got our luggage and went to our room. It was very clean, ornate, and comfortable. We never used the tv, but the bed was quite nice. We overheard our neighbors also apparently enjoying the bed. My girlfriend heard them at least twice.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was amazing! After a run that chilly morning, we cleaned up and went down. The salmon and locks were just great! The eggs, potatoes, bacon, and sausages all tasted great. The berries were so fresh and juicy, despite it being December/January. The french toast was a bit dry, but otherwise, we were very impressed with the meal. (We were fortunate to have the meal included in our stay, although we would have gotten it anyway through my Platinum Status.) If you can, definitely book the meal with your room rate. It is worth nearly $20-30 a person, and well-worth it!

We were a bit sad to leave so soon but would seriously consider returning if we are in the area!

Room Tip: Maybe consider a suite if you are on a honeymoon.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hsphoser36
Dear Hsphoser36,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay!
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience in our new Hive Living Room + Bar Restaurant.
We hope to see you on a future visit!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We were a wedding party that stayed overnight at the hotel. The day before the wedding and the day of the wedding we were amazed at the level of service provided - often by staff that did not even know we were a wedding party. The front desk fielded all sorts of calls for assistance with kindness and grace. Engineering brought up super glue when the unity candle broke. Maintenance carried up a chair from the restaurant so that the hairdresser could easily do our hair. The restaurant prepared a special lunch and had it delivered to the rooms so the bride could eat something before the ceremony. Finally, housekeeping worked around a bunch of flustered women running in and out of rooms - removing plates, assisting wherever they could. Every single person at the hotel was delightful - even the bartender that waited on us before the rehearsal dinner. I highly recommend this hotel and commend the staff and management.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Mauricio P, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear DOB28,

Thank you for such a wonderful review!
It’s pleasing to hear that our staff was able to assist in making this a memorable occasion for you!
Come back soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was my first stay in the west jester location and I loved it. I'm a local of west chested county and thought this location was ideal. Close to shopping and entertainment but far enough to relax when I wanted. Beef shirt rib dinner and pot of hot chocolate made my night lol. Oh...and Monique and Jessica, the front desk staff were amazing. They were very polite and friendly. They ordered My airport taxi and It was there when I needed it,

Room Tip: The halls are long so choose a room close to the elevator. ;)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Mauricio P, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear ASH7984,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review of your stay with us.
It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience and the service provided by our staff members.
We look forward to your next visit with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near White Plains
Hilton Westchester
Hilton Westchester
#1 of 2 in Rye Brook
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester

Been to Renaissance Westchester Hotel? Share your experiences!