“One of the best”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
White Plains, New York
“One of the best”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This Rennaissance is one of the best combinations of comfortable rooms and friendly service staff - especially in the restaurant. Gary makes you feel welcomed and appreciated. Mark who plays acoustic guitar on Wednesday nights is a local treasure!

• Stayed November 2013
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Mrdorn1,
Thank you for that review!
It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the comforts and service provided by Gary during your stay with us. It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed the performance by Mark at our RLIFE Live Wednesday event.
We look forward to welcoming you on your next stay with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed November 4, 2013

You have to look to find this place. So look. This is a HUGE facility including a pool, cover 4 season (at least three) tennis court and places to roam. Don't come here if you don't like walking.....you need to walk thru a fully enclosed walkway from the hotel's mail facility to the guestrooms. The room was exceptionally well appointed in a very modern design. We had a wonderful view of the foliage and couldn't hear anyone else on the floor.

Keep in mind this is Westchester County where $ per acre is VERY high so it is somewhat unusual (and welcome) to find such a big property tucked into "the woods."

The front desk people were lively and very nice.

The room rate was more than fair and there are deals to be had if you look.

Room Tip: I'd have to guess they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Steven K,
Thank you for that awesome review!
It’s a pleasure to hear that our property met your needs.
We completed our rooms renovation in August of 2013, so I am happy to hear that the
new layout was to your liking.
When you wish to take a quick getaway from CT; we're only a couple of hours away and
will be here to welcome you on your next visit!
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. Enjoyed the design of the hotel. The lobby was comfortable and inviting to relax at the end of a business day with a nice cocktail. The room was nicely appointed, very clean, and the bed was great. The bathroom was well lit and the shower had nice pressure. I had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and both were very good. I would return if I were in the area again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Frederick O,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel!
I’m glad that you were able to enjoy the comforts & convenience while staying with us for such a joyous occasion.
We hope to see you again very soon!
Massachusetts
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Although this hotel is OK, it is certainly not what I expected from the Renaissance brand and definitely not a category 5 Marriott property. It’s kind of a disjointed, disconnected group of separate buildings connected by a long walkway. The rooms are located in what looks like a re-furbished office building with weird, unsecured entrances and the longest hallways between the elevators and most of the rooms. The hallways feel like you’re in a medical building and it all just looks a little beat up. Again, it wouldn’t be bad if it was categorized accordingly but it simply does not measure up to its brand or category. The rooms are clean and comfortable but if you look closely you will find many things that need tending to.
I will not be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Peaks Island, Maine
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were they for a wedding. The staff was friendly and extremely courteous and responsive. Rooms were clean and comfortable. More than ample parking close to entrances. Although we only had breakfast it was typical menu orders or buffet. The food was tasty and done to order.
The room costs were reasonable for the area. Only a few miles from Westchester County Airport which services Delta and Jet Blue. Well worth staying at if your in the area.

Dear Frederick O,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel!
We hope to see you again very soon!
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Had the good fortune of attending a family wedding at the RWH and stayed for 3 nights. Rooms were spacious, clean with a huge HD TV and the view is basically a dense forest of tall trees which looked stunning in October. Food was excellent (highly recommend the fillet steaks) and service was simply faultless, a special mention here must go the waiter Harry who was just about the nicest and most helpful waiter i've ever met. Only disappointment was the swimming pool being closed during the day and breakfasts were a bit over-priced considering the hot selection consisted of streaky bacon and scrambled eggs and some rather lame looking sausages, where were the mushrooms, tomatoes, hash browns etc?, however despite this, i would feel uncomfortable giving anything less than excellent as the food and service were simply faultless, a real joy to stay in this hotel, with lovely walks round the hotel grounds and only a 5 minute/ $15 ride to White Plains. it really is worth a stay

Dear Michael G,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I’m pleased that you were able to enjoy the accommodations during your recent stay.
I will definitely pass on your comments to our kitchen staff so that they may review the selection
of our breakfast items and possibly revise the buffet.
I’m glad that you were able to enjoy the steaks and the service provided by Harry and the rest of our team.
We look forward to your next visit with us!
Brazil
Reviewed October 29, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was excited about my stay at this hotel but it turned out to be the worse hotel experience I have ever had. I usually stay over 100 nights in hotels per year and I am a Platinum Rewards member.

The problems started right at check in. I received the standard email asking for special requests and my only request was a room close to the elevator. I was traveling with two elderly people and we were coming from Las Vegas where the long corridors where a major task on them. There was no one to assist us with our lugagge so, after carrying it over the bridge to the next buiding, we find out that our room was almost the last one in the long hallway. As we were tired from hauling the luggage, we just wanted to crash. We stoppped by the Concierge Lounge and found out that they only had a really poor quality mac & cheese and crackers for appetizers. The dessert was cold cookies.As we go back to the room, the room was freezing cold. I tried to work the thermostat, but it did not get any warmer. So we just went to sleep wearing our Winter coats. The next day I asked for maintenance to take a look and I had to call twice until someone showed up and fixed the problem.

The breakfast at the Concierge Lounge was of good quality and diversity, but in the 6 days that we were there, the attendant did not have a single smile in his face. The room was always missing silverware, plates, food... I asked for replenishment and was made feel like a nuisance.

In the first morning I find out that the housekeeping storage room was across the hall from my room and it is the meeting point for all the housekeeping staff. There was conversation, chatter, phone calls made in the hallway early in the morning during my entire stay.

The worst of all was at check out. As a Platinum member, I called to ask for a late check out as our international flight was only departing late at night. I was told the best they could do was 1 pm. I said that it did not work for me and asked for a 4 pm check out. I was then informed that I would have to pay a fee for that. I said not problem, and asked the price. The price was US$ 159, which was higher than my daily rate!! I said that did not make sense and head back "so what?". At that point I asked to talk to manager. After waiting about 10 minutes, comes in Mr. Gavin Hasty, who presented himself as the supervisor on duty. I explained the situation and he said that the reason they could not offer a late check out was because the hotel was sold out. I have no problem with that since I know how the hospitality business works, but I felt I was being lied to. While talking to him, I go online and find that I can book a room for US$ 139 a night , which was lower what I was being offered for a 3 hour stay, and there were plenty of rooms available. When I confronted him with that, he still tried to get away with asking me US$ 99 for the three hours, justifying that it was a half stay. I do not know on what clock he works on that 3 hours are considered half day in a 24-hour day.

Aside from the well-designed lobby, this hotel feels more like a Fairfield Inn than a Renaissance. Their main concern is in making money with events and expensive restaurant. To summarize, I never felt less welcomed and appreciated in a hotel in all of my years of traveling. I did write back to the hotel and encouraged Mr. Hasty to visit other Renaissance properties such as the Renaissance Schaumburg, Renaissance Amsterdam and Renaissance Sao Paulo to learn how a good hotel is run and quality service is provided.

1 Thank Braziliantraveler7
Catherine S, General Manager at Renaissance Westchester Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Braziliantraveler7,
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your stay at our Renaissance Hotel. I am terribly sorry that you encountered so many issues! What you experienced is not the norm for our hotel, and I have addressed the details with my Engineering, Styling and Concierge Ambassadors. We should be nothing if not timely, friendly and welcoming throughout your stay, and most certainly we should be consciously aware of our Guest’s need for a quiet and relaxing experience.
What happened at the Reception Desk has also been addressed, and directly with the Ambassador/Supervisor you spoke to that day. Especially as a Platinum Guest, and with the circumstances of your international flight, we should have been far more flexible. Because of your important feedback, each of our Reception Ambassadors have been and will continue to be retrained on how to really understand the specific details of each Guest encounter, and how we can serve them in the way that makes sense to the GUEST and not always what is the POLICY. This is something that I feel passionate about and I thank you, truly, for letting me know.
I hope that you will consider giving us another try when you are in Westchester, and I look forward to the opportunity to personally greet you when you do return. Meanwhile, all of us at The Renaissance Westchester and Marriott International appreciate your loyalty as our esteemed Platinum Elite Guest.
Obrigado,
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
Hilton Westchester
Hilton Westchester
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook

Been to Renaissance Westchester Hotel? Share your experiences!