Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
$259
  • Restaurant
HYATT house White Plains(White Plains)
$181
$138
$159
$140
Esplanade Hotel(White Plains)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness center
All reviewsfront deskcheesecake factorycarol annwestchester mallwhole foodsbar restaurantgreat customer servicewent out of her waybusiness tripparking garagenew yorkbreakfast buffetvery nice hoteltrain stationconvenient locationhome away from homemark
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel was a bit difficult to locate without GPS. It is essential to know which lane you need to be in for the turns. For a quiet night, ask for a room as far away from the elevators as possible. Room darkening curtains do an excellent job, but if you really like it dark, bring a couple of clothespins to hold the overlap in place. You might want to use the valet parking. The garage is being renovated. Finding your way around is a bit tricky and dangerous as two way traffic abounds. Not everyone uses common sense on the turns.. Staff members are very helpful. I needed extra handouts for my presentation. They were quickly and competently completed, and delivered to my conference room. Never left anything behind in a hotel room before so when I discovered my favorite tailored white shirt missing when I unpacked at home, I was disappointed. Never thought I would see it again, but it will be in the mail to me shortly. This hotel understands competency and service.

Room Tip: As far from the elevators as possible.
1  Thank HopeLady
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear HopeLady:

We gratefully acknowledge and thank you for the time you've taken to write a review.

We are also pleased you found our staff honest and helpful. Of course, you should expect no less from us! That you recovered your white shirt is great news; certainly many people forget to pack items and we're always pleased to reunite our guests with their belongings!

On behalf of all of us here, thank you for your business and we certainly hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at many IHG properties, including many Crowne Plazas, and I was quite disappointed in this stay. Given the location, I knew it would be expensive, but, I thought that more items would be included as standard, particularly for Platinum members. The line for check-in took 15 minutes. Parking is expensive. And the 'bonus choices' for being a Platinum member are a joke. A free bottle of water? Really? I get two of this AND a granola bar at Holiday Inn Express.

Room service was expensive, but, well, worth it after a long drive.

The biggest tick-off? No free WiFi. At every other IHG property I have been to, WiFi has been free for Platinum members. Thank goodness I have an iPad with cellular service, because I was not willing to pay the WiFi fee.

This is also the first CP I have been to where I have not been given a free breakfast.

I can't say service was terrific, either. Once I made it through the long check-in line, I turned in a tax exempt form and was told it could only be used with a company credit card. When I pointed out that it was, indeed, a company card, and that it was printed on the credit card, I got a dead look and was told they would have to make a photocopy. Fine. But, first time that has happened.....and I stay in 50+ hotels each year.

The room was clean (save for a stain on the comforter) and comfortable. The tub was slow to drain with the shower, however.

While the comfort was there, I don't plan on returning. I would rather add extra travel time to my schedule and stay a bit further up in Westchester or even change brands for a stay in the region. The value here is just not there.

Note that my most recent hotel stay (three days earlier) was at a different Crowne Plaza where I was upgraded to a suite, was greeted warmly as a Platinum member, my tax exempt paperwork was taken without issue, I had free parking, free WiFi, and was given a huge fruit tray as an evening snack for being Platinum. I guess location does matter.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Majorgal
CPWPD, General Manager at Crowne Plaza White Plains Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Majorgal:

We wish to acknowledge and thank you for your patronage and for the time taken to write a review.

IHG Rewards Platinum Members are to be offered 500 points right at check-in...that has a value spend to you equivalent to $50. Why that was not offered we will have to look into. WiFi should also have been offered to you on a complimentary basis.

We regret that these items were not extending to you during your visit, and can only hope that you reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

While it's been renovated since the last time I stayed - many years ago - the place seems dreary anyway. The room was clean and well-lit, but the hallways were dimly light and dull. Dreary. Check in was fine - although I had to wait until the clerk was done doing whatever she was doing on the computer - until I requested a late check out. There was no accommodation given. I was staying two nights and was looking for two hours. No, can't be done. Had a drink and late night snack at the bar/restaurant. The service was horrible. so much confusion and disorganization. Had to bring bill up to the register to pay since the waiter never returned to take it. The location is right next to the Westchester mall and that is fantastic.

1  Thank truthbetold_10

Dear truthbetold_10:

Many thanks for the time you've taken to write a review...we really appreciate the feedback.

On most days of the year, honoring a late check-out request is easily done and a couple of hours not being a big deal. On the dates you were our guest however, we were at 100% capacity and it is therefore a real challenge for us to delay cleaning a room, anticipating the arrival of new occupants (you can appreciate how they might feel if their room is not ready upon arrival)!

We regret that on this rare occasion we could not honor your late check-out request. We hope that at the very least the guest services team offered to store any luggage or personal items you may have had.

We apologize for the service (or lack thereof) in the lounge. Your comments will of course be used to improve our level of services offered.

Thank you for your business and we are looking forward to your return in the near future.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My family had stayed At the Crowne Plaza in White Plains two summers back for a wedding, during a major renovation. I was pleased to see that the room was clean, modern, and up-to-date. The room was large and, well, roomy, with good lighting and a large television. There was also a refridgerator, The bathroom was also very large. Unfortunately, the water pressure was so low that I could not get the hotel's shampoo out of my hair. It was a dribbe not a spray, even on the "massage" feature. Considering that it's a new renovation, it was very disappointing.

One small, but big issue: the volume on the channel the TV tunes to when you turn it on is blastingly loud. It is just that channel. I was awakened in the middle of the night when my neighbor turned their TV on, and may have accidentally returned the favor in the moring.

The service at the hotel was sub-par. I wanted to have the valet park my car, but sat for about two minutes without being noticed before giving up and deciding to park in the garage. The garage is under construction, and has limited space. I got all the way to the top without finding a space, but found a valet there (on the sixth floor of the parking lot?) who told me to park where the valets park one flight down from the entrance. That worked out. And there were valets in the hotel lobby when I got there, but none were looking outward.

There was a long line at check-in (at 6 PM on a week night) and one clerk at the front desk. She was ignoring the long line and giving the guest she was talking to restaurant suggestions. That she did not ask him to ask the concierge, who was ten feet away, and he did not step aside to let the ten or so people wanting to check in step forward, is on both of them. After about four minutes a second clerk came to the desk and began to process people.

The fellow who checked me in did his job remarkably adequately. He took my credit card and ID (but did not actually look at my ID). I was required to sign an electronic pad three times, acknowledging various things that made me, an almost 50 year old business man who is platinum with this family of hotel brands, feel extremely unwelcome. I am sorry, but it's not welcoming to ask guests to sign non-standard liabilitiy waivers to get their room. He was also unconcerned that there were no valets outside the hotel but did acknowledge that the parking garage construction was problematic.

I have spent may nights at another Crowne Plaza (at San Francisco Airport) and based on that experience, thought Crowne Plaza was a premium hotel brand. This hotel does not do the Crowne Plaza brand any favors.

1  Thank fenwayman

Dear fenwayman:

We are grateful and thank you for the time taken to write an on-line review.

Certainly we're pleased you found your room clean, modern, up-to-date and of good size. More worrying was the water pressure mentioned in your review. This is unusual for our hotel, and we will certainly see if there was any blockage inhibiting water flow.

We were full the night of your visit and clearly the parking garage was jammed. We apologize that no one was available at the time of your arrival to assist with valet. We will also look into the TV volume on the opening channel...thank you for mentioning that!

Please do call upon us when you next visit to White Plains, New York. We are very grateful for your patronage.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at Crowne Plaza – White Plains on Saturday 09/28/2013 for one night because it was the suggested hotel for my nephew’s wedding. Management should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Self parking is very conveniently located right after the valet area in front of the hotel. We arrived around 2 pm and check in was a mess as there were apparently 7 wedding groups checking in that weekend. They only had 2 people checking in the guests and we waited on line for about 20-25 minutes and we had to be at Church by 3. The hotel itself was ok, rooms were ok - standard.

After the Church ceremony, we arrived back to the hotel around 4:30-4:45. Other guests who had arrived a lot earlier than we did, were not provided the rooms that were already assigned to them, for one reason or another, so they were told to come back later after the ceremony. My sister, the mother of the groom, had pre-arranged everything a week or 2 before with 15 or so pre-paid room assignments, pre-paid amenities for each room, etc and it was all undone by the manager on duty that day – Jackie! I attempted to help my sister resolve this issue because she was already so flustered and Jackie was so rude and unprofessional. She said she needed to discuss the arrangement my sister had with Olivia, but we said everything was in the printed emails which my sister had with her. What if Olivia was not on site – it was a Saturday after all? She basically stormed off and went to her office, like a child throwing a tantrum. The front desk staff, Lourdes and another girl, whose name I can’t recall, were really nice, friendly, hard working and professional. They were very understanding of the situation and they were very apologetic. They each tried numerous times to call Jackie on her office line – in between checking guests in and she wasn’t picking up the phone! What kind of managerial example is that? That is so unprofessional when management can’t even handle a situation like this and subordinates are more professional. Right before the first shuttle to the reception venue was to arrive (6 pm) I went back down to the lobby and found out my sister was able to get in touch with Olivia. I met Olivia on my way out to the shuttle and discussed the whole situation that happened with Jackie. Olivia should be the manager because she certainly was a better example of how customer service should be. She was very professional and she tried to fix everything she could according to what the arrangements were supposed to be. The things that she wasn’t able to fix, which was undone by Jackie, she tried to compensate in other ways. Although it was appreciated, I don’t think the compensation was enough, due to the added stress caused to my sister and the embarrassment she felt to her invited guests.

Sunday morning, my husband finds the invoice that was slipped under the door. We were charged $89.55 for internet charges ($9.95 x 9?? – there were only 3 devices for goodness sake!!). I had mentioned at check-in that we were rewards members and it was on my reservation, so internet was supposed to be free. We went to the front desk to check out and the girl said she saw my membership number, but that it was inactive, so she just activated it and brought my internet charges to zero. It was only 2 minutes of my time, but seriously????

If there are 7 wedding groups checking in, management should make sure the hotel is properly staffed. Honor ALL prior arrangements THAT WERE PAID FOR (not free). Lastly, you should bend over backwards to accommodate someone when you completely destroy a pre-paid, pre-arranged and pre-assigned booking. Although there were other staff members like Oilivia, Lourdes, etc that tried their best to accommodate any prior arrangements, which really would have made this stay a higher rating, the 1 manager on duty - JACKIE was so unorganized, unprofessional, curt, and condescending. What a poor representation for management! I understand nothing in life is perfect and there will be glitches, especially in big events such as a wedding, but for Jackie to add that much more stress and humiliation is really incomprehensible.

We have stayed at many hotels (Marriott, Westin, W, Hilton, etc.) for other weddings and events in the past, even with small glitches, still ran so smoothly. This was definitely the first I’ve experienced something like this, which has now soured me to an entire hotel chain. Will never stay at Crowne Plaza, much less this location in White Plains, ever again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear LissaBL01:

We again acknowledge and thank you for your comments following a recent visit. As I personally promised in a telephone conversation, we would and have followed-up on your observations and have taken corrective measures and re-training initiatives.

We deeply regret you were disappointed and had hoped that one individual's actions (or inactions in this case) wouldn't reflect upon the other 160 associates who toil every day to do their level best to service our guests.

We are not perfect, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused to you.

It is sad and distressing for all of us collectively - including 29 other managers - to have to live forever under the TripAdvisor heading "horrible manager". We understand and endorse your right and privilege as a consumer to post such words publically. But as your review was written specifically about one person in particular, we only wished you had given us a reasonable opportunity to handle this matter in a more private manner. No one can be expected to be perfect.

We appreciate your business and wish you well with all your future endeavors.