“Good Food; Distracted Service”
Review of Don Coqui

Don Coqui
Ranked #75 of 272 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went as a two family group with children. The food was good, but the service was less than attentive, despite the being in a space designed for parties and groups. It is on the expensive side for families as there is no "kids" menu.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Although it was not my first time at Don Coqui, it was a pleasure to go back. Originally I thought it was a fluke that the wait staff was good, the vibe was good (we went on a Friday night the first time) and the food was outrageous but as it turns out IT'S THEIR STANDARD! We celebrated a cousin's birthday so it was 3 of us and were so stuffed by good food that we had lunch the next day on leftovers.
The food is served on over-sized plates, almost platters, and it is like sitting in Puerto Rico at a home where the food is cooked by someone's grandmother.
The menu is extremely diverse with the standard Puerto Rican fare, as is the cocktail list. The moment that you walk into the door you are greeted by some very good looking people, including the looming owner/manager (who is also very good looking but a bit stodgy). The decor is a Miami style restaurant with its clean edges and white backdrop. There are 3 areas to this hip place - the restaurant, the bar and then the back bar. It's an incredible space with great music, which is a bit too loud, but the overall feel is young, new, fresh and WEPA!!!
It's a great place to go just for the Sangria, but you must go.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

It was a take out order but they definitely did the right thing by us. Down to utensils & napkins. The food reminded me of abuelita. The mofongo was tasty but a little on the dry side. The pernil could have fed a small army and delish. Not salty at all. The potato salad is a must! If we are in the area again, we would definitely dine at the restaurant to enjoy the fool experience.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I've been to this location twice and both times I was not pleased what so ever.

First time I went with two co-workers and the service wasn't great and the food wasn't good at all. I had ropa vieja and it was not even close to what I expected. The service lacked a lot which shocked us because the place wasn't even that busy. When we finally received our coffee after waiting about 10-15 minutes - it's very cold. Do not understand why it took so long if when we received it it was cold! Since it was only a week after their grand opening, my coworker and I decided to give them a second chance.

We each purchased a groupon and hoped that Don Coqui would be a lot better this time around. Once again we were disappointed but this time worse than before. As soon as we got there we sat for about 10 minutes, when we noticed that we were not given a menu. WE had to go up to the hostess and tell her. The waiter never greeted us or showed any hospitality. Every time we needed something we had to get up and walk over to the hostess or wave to the her. The hostess had to take our lunch orders because still no waiter came. We received our lunch but never received our sweet plantains which we requested with our meal selection. Throughout the course of eating still no waiter and apparently the bus boys does not speak any English or Spanish because we requested the sweet plantains to two different individuals and still nothing. When it came down to paying we had to tell the hostess we wanted our check AND then is when the waiter appeared. We were told we were not allowed to use two groupons and if we wanted to speak to the manager we can do so. Apparently the hostess was the manager which was not stated until we had many issues. Only then when we were ready to pay is when we were told we can only use one groupon per table. That wasn't even the problem for us. The problem was that no one seemed to want to work or help in any way possible. All problems and no solutions. We were given the opportunity to receive free drinks or additional dessert and etc but that's after the point. We were already 20 minutes late back to work because of the constant waiting and were not willing to wait more.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went here to celebrate a family birthday. When we arrived the hostess took us to a lounge until the rest of the party got there (16 of us) so we wouldn't have to stand up in the front entry. Then we were seated at these beautiful tables with white couches and chairs and white fabric flowing from the ceiling. The wait-staff was very attentive. As we were being seated they promptly put plantain crisp with dips on the table. Then they brought out the apps. Wow! There were shrimp and chicken skewers, calamari, clams on half shell, plantains with various toppings (delish). The empanada's were amazing! The veggie ones were my favorite. There was also a bite size app of pernil wrapped in yucca (again delish)!!!
For the main entrée I had paella. I knew eating all the apps I might have a problem eating my dinner but I couldn't stop and sure enough the minute I saw the massive bowl of yellow rice w/clams, shrimp, mussels, chorizo, chicken and a lobster on top I knew I was in trouble. I had 5 bites and was completely, uncomfortably stuffed. One of my son's had the steak and the aroma coming off his plate was amazing. My other son had arroz con pollo a chicken and rice dish.
The have signature drinks that some had and they looked delish but I was driving so only had a glass of chardonnay. And I am glad I did because the drinks were very pricey at $30 a glass!
Then came out the dessert... I had had my meal wrapped but just couldn't resist the tempting flan which I don't, well have never cared for. It was fabulous! the kids devoured the rice pudding and cakes. Served with dessert was shot glasses of coquito a Puerto Rican eggnog like drink.
Everyone was so pleased. My biggest complaint would be the food was so awesome that I ate too much and it hurt to walk to the car.