“Very Nice With an Interesting Menu”
Review of Gaucho Grill

Gaucho Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaucho Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 270 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between Main Street and Hamilton Avenue
Transit: Bee-line Bus System stops at North Broadway and Main Street (1 minute walk to restaurant). Only a ten minute walk from the Metro North Railroad Station (White Plains stop available local and express).
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We decided that we needed to try a new place. So, on the spur of the moment, I made a reservation for tonight. I looked at their menu on the website and decided that this place would be worth a try. And was it ever. A little pricey so it's definitely not a twice per month destination but once in a while -- by all means go.

We started with the Insalata Bandiera - Baby arugula, fresh mozzarella, shrimp, avocado, cherry tomatoes, dressed in an Italian vinaigrette. The menu description was intriguing so we tried it although I do have a religious objection to 12 bucks for a salad. One salad for two was a nice start to dinner.

My wife had the Chicken Martini - chicken breast in a parmesan crust in a lemon wine sauce. Very nice lite mild dish served with a boring dollop of mashed potatoes. I had the halibut special which was prepared with various savory ingredients including olives capers and some sort of a small hot pepper. I don't heat much spicy food and this wasn't spicy at all although I will say that if the peppers were omitted from the recipe, something would have been missing. The fish was plated on a bed of perfectly prepared spinach. Since neither dish came with a side, we ordered the grilled asparagus. I love asparagus and these would be on the "I will order this again" list.

We finished with coffee - no dessert.

The service was fine. The wait staff works in teams and it was efficient and polite. And, very important to me - when I am served and respond to the server with "Thank You" I never want to hear "No Problem" as the response and when I do, the tip goes down. I never once heard that phrase.

We arrived for a 6:45 PM dinner reservation and were seated promptly. We left at 8:30 - perfect!!!!

The one downside that I found was that the parking lot is a bit shabby and the elevators weren't working well so we had to walk around to the entrance to a retail shopping mall to find another set of elevators to take us up into the parking lot and then, since we were on the far side of the parking area, had some difficulty locating the car. Something I didn't know in advance is that the restaurant offers Valet Parking. When I go again (and I will) I will avail myself of the valet service.

While the champagne cocktails were a little pricey at $15.00 per, at $70.00 per person complete (tax and a 22% tip - yep the service was that good) not bad for what we got.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice menu with plenty of options. Italian fused with Spanish makes it a wonderful pairing. Definitely would come back

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We got there early and literally had the whole outdoor patio to ourselves. The service was great. Food excellent. Our steak was amazing! We did meet the owners as they have a house in Oregon, where we are from. We really had a great evening. Had a discrepancy on the bill but the owner took care of it right away.

I'm sorry to hear about the last review's story. It doesn't seem right to me either, but I can't imagine that happens very often. The place is very busy and obviously very popular. I would still recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Don't come to this restaurant if you expect to be treated respectfully when the Knicks are in the house. My wife and I came to Gaucho Grill for the first time on Saturday night. We were seated at a very pleasant table in the outdoor dining area. As we were relaxing and finishing our appetizer, we were informed by our hostess that several members ( 6 to be exact) of the Knicks and Knicks management would be smoking cigars at a nearby table. She was not asking, she was telling. I told her that that would not be acceptable to me (as I can't stand the smell of cigars when I'm trying to eat) and she then disappeared. After the cigars were being lit, I mentioned the situation to our waiter and we were unceremoniously escorted to an indoor table. I was not happy with this outcome and felt my wife and I had not been not treated appropriately. I mentioned this to one of the new servers inside and he told me in a very high handed way that it was perfectly legal to smoke in the outside dining area. I also mentioned this to owner of the restaurant, who offered a half hearted apology but didn't seem to be particularly concerned by my unhappiness with the way the situation had been handled. I can understand that a restuarant may feel pressure to accomodate the requests of celebrity customers, however this should not be done at the expense of other paying customers. By the way, smoking in outdoor restaurant dining areas is a direct violation of Article XX of the Westchester County Sanitary Code, so accomodating this request not only had a very negative impact on my dining experience, but was illegal. As I was literally walking out the door, the owner called out to me that he was going to offer to buy me an after dinner drink. A classic case of too little, way too late. I will not be back.

1  Thank estebanNewYork
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Expecting a more simple restaurant I was surprised by the ambiance of this restaurant. And the food is great too. So next time I will go again ($60 pp with starter and drinks)