“a descent indian place”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2012

i have been there times already and its a nice Indian restaurant finally in WP downtown. the food is good and the service is good. they are pretty new. couple months now. i would go again. i guess they can do a little better with the decor. like someone mentioned a little bland.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was running an errand and just happened to notice this restaurant and I am so glad I did. When I walked into Taj Palace I was immediately greeted by a friendly smile. She offered me the choice of where I wanted to sit. While I waited for my food the hostess brought over a tasty mango drink. I did not have to wait long for my piping hot chicken tikka masala to arrive. The flavors were fresh and comforting. The service was impeccable! I am looking forward to going back to this restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Based on a good NY Times Restaurant Review, we went there on a Weds. night, Besides ourselves, one other table was occupied, which is probably because they just opened and haven't been discovered yet. The space is quite large and spacious. The staff was great. Good selection of Indian beers. The food was just OK, vegetarian samosa were good, but we've had better Lamb Vindaloo and Aloo Gobi. I think they will improve over time though. I want to come back to the Lunch Buffet, which they also have over the weekends. This could provide a better sense of their food.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been to Taj Palace on several occasions now. What I have noticed is their food is good - - especially if you order their specials. The taste of the food is unique compared to your average Indian restaurant. I have dealt with the owner on several occasions and she is extremely friendly and courteous. I would recommend to anyone looking for a change. It is one of the better restaurants in the area.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Taj Palace is located on a quiet, out of the way block across the street from Sports Authority, in the cavernous space formerly occupied by Graziella's. With the difficult task of filling the shoes left empty by the sad demise of Bengal Tiger, Taj Palace unfortunately comes up very short. After a few recent visits, here are my observations.

1. The main dining room (one of three that comprise the restaurant) is enormous, but totally lacking in warmth or personality. Tables are simply placed where space allows in the big room. The U-shaped table setup used for the buffet lunch remains in the middle of the dining room for dinner, empty and ugly.

2. The menu is very large, and covers several geographical parts of India along with their varied styles of cuisine. Prices are average, with appetizers in the $8 to $16 range, and entrees in the $18 to $28 range.

3. At both the buffet lunch and at dinner, the quality of the food was similar: vegetable dishes were very good, and meat and seafood dishes were average at best. Some of the chicken dishes came with burnt pieces and a few small bones where there should have been none. Sauces, especially when we asked for "spicy" (vindaloo),were milder than we're used to. Perhaps the chefs were afraid of overspicing. Portions were average in size.

4. The wait staff is terribly in need of improvement at every level. Waiters had communication and language problems, and are obviously untrained in how and when to take orders. Various waiters took different parts of our orders, could not answer questions about the menu, and seemed in general to be overly shy, befuddled, and inconsistent.

In summary, Taj Palace needs work at many junctures to come close to the level of either Bengal Tiger or Dawat, its two predecessors in downtown White Plains.

And while on the topic of White Plains, keep in mind that the city administration seems to do everything in its power to make parking a nightmare. Not only is there no free parking anywhere in the area, and ridiculous tariffs for meters (that continue late into the night) but parking police will slap a ticket on your car even if it is one minute before the meter curfew. For this reason alone, you may want to consider staying out of White Plains when dining. It's unfortunate that the merchants have to be the victims of the city's draconian parking policies. That too is in drastic need of change.