“Good, but could do better”

HYATT house White Plains
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in White Plains
Hemel Hempstead, UK
“Good, but could do better”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

On arrival, we were immediately welcomed with "pardon the appearance, we are in the final stages of renovation". To be honest, not a problem - a few stray lights here and there - purely aesthetic changes. THey wanted to make a good first impression!

The hotel is quite a way from White Plains and set on a corporate park - meaning no noise at all, but everything was a drive away, but then again, they have directions to pretty much anything you want to go to, or a free shuttle (which hours it runs on though I'm not sure during the week, but when I did want it - a saturday morning at 9:00am I was told it didn't start until 10, so then I said when does it finish - 6:00pm it wasn't used by my family as wse wanted a full day out in New York. (Talking of which, White Plains to Grand Central Station - 25 minutes)

The rooms are good sized - with it being a Suites Hotel, you get a separate bedroom. Having checked on the hotel website before booking, and being as I was travelling with 2 young children I noticed there were a certain number of rooms with 2 queen beds as opposed to one King Bed, I duly requested two beds, as opposed to putting the kids to bed on the sofabed.

The hotel was booked through Expedia and when I requested two beds, I was told it was a $30 per day upgrade. NOT HAPPY about this fact. Allegedly they have 3 or 4 types of rooms available each with a different price, although this isn't shown on theirs, or Expedia's website.... Rant over.

We stayed in the room with the single bed and all in all, the room is of a good size, with full kitchen facilities including dishwasher, oven, microwave, and would be quite good for an extended stay. The room also had free internet.

Beds are comfortable, and the bathroom quite small as the vanity and sinks are actually outside of the bathroom.

The hotel also has an outdoor pool (obviously closed this time of year) and a basketball ring as well as an exercise room, laundry facilities and business centre.

The free breakfast included hot and cold foods, good selection of both and continually topped up. Also, in the evening there is free beer and wine and nibbles courtesy of the manager. In the lobby in the morning is USA Today and Wall Street Journal.

Ample parking abounds.

All in all, good quality and sized rooms, and I can see why it ranks highly in the ratings, but for me a little too far out of the way from White Plains itself, and with the way I was dismissed about requesting a room with 2 beds, I would be hesitant to go back again

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Vermont
Reviewed April 24, 2011

What a surprise it was to find such a reasonable place to stay in this area; and this really is more like a condo than anything else. Clean, comfy, great TV's, awesome bed, full kitchen...quite and close to great restaurants. Will definitely stay there if we're going through that area again. And...the staff was terrific.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Yonkers
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I booked this Hyatt not knowing what to expect, and was VERY pleasantly surprised. I booked the room for less than $200 on the website and when I checked in I realized the room was an apartment! (hence the name summerville SUITES I guess), haha. It was very spacious and modern. Tile floors, nice new carpeting, not dingy looking at all. The bedroom was very big with a dressing area and bathroom separate, a living room and a kitchen. I couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel. The one downfall is the location isn't nearby too much, but any hotel in Westchester is going to be in driving distance, not walking, to restaurants/bars/entertainment.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My boyfriend and I wanted to get away and this was a GREAT place to stay. The staff was so nice, helpful, they were all really great.

Our room had a full kitchen which we used. The room had dishes, pots, pans, cups, everything! it was great we had a great dinner that we made. The bed was Huge, and the pillows were comfortable . We slept like babies.

THe Bathroom was nice, wasn't crazy that the sink was outside of the bathroom but it was still big and clean.

The next morning we had the hotels breakfast buffet. I ate everything on my plate I was shocked by how good the food was. I was sad we left but, Happy to know we will definitely be going back

The experience felt like i was on vacation yet I still felt like home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed October 8, 2010

We had a great stay here. The rooms are large enough to accomodate a large family. We had 2 large bedrooms each with their own bathroom and a pull out couch in the living room. The kids loved the plentiful breakfast buffet. The hotel was very clean and there is very easy on/off access to the highway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Much better breakfast spread than other hotels that include breakfast; they even used real china and glasses! Lots of hot and cold choices and Seattle coffee. Room was spacious and clean with plenty of towels and large bathroom area in a Handicapped suite. Separate kitchen complete with pitcher for chilling water in fridge and takeout menus on the bulletin board. Too cold for the pool and spa, but the gardens are lovely and the exercise room is very well equipped. Full laundry room is also available.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
MUMBAI
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I along with wife and lots of our relatives stayed there. It was taken for staying guest came for attending merriage function. It has very nice location,very sumptuous breakfast and very good housekeeping.
They also provide courtsey coach for going to near by station every 15 minutes,which gave us flexibility in planning our trips for local sightseen and looking around New york city. It has a very good internet facility 24 hrs and Gym for those who dont want to miss routine of energising life.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Doral Arrowwood
#2 of 2 in Rye Brook
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh

Been to HYATT house White Plains? Share your experiences!