“Great experience!”
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 290 Restaurants in White Plains
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: The White Plains Train Station is a short walk from the restaurant. Walk North up Bank Street and cross Ferris Avenue. Bank Street turns into Main Street. Walk up Main Street, pass the Galleria Mall and then turn right on Mamaroneck Avenue. The restaurant is 1/2 a block up on the right, across from the movie theater.
Description: Westchester's favorite celebration restaurant. "The Melting Pot is pure entertainment," said the New York Times. Whether it's a romantic dinner for two, bridal event, babyshower, Ladies' Night Out, or birthday, The Melting Pot has the recipe to make all your occasions special. Relax in our private, elegant atmosphere and let our attentive servers guide you through our wide selection of fondues, fresh salads, succulent entrees and fine wines. Winner of an "Award of Excellence" from Wine Spectator magazine.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Had a great experience at The Melting Pot. Food was amazing! Great cuts of meat, fresh veggies, fruit & bread for the dipping :) Our waitress Natalie was extremely helpful regarding the menu. She made our 1st time there very enjoyable. My new favorite place!!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Our company had it's holiday party here, so it was great to experience it one someone else's dime - I would have felt cheated if it were mine. Much effort goes into style, rather than substance. For our first course we shared a classic swiss fondue and a southwestern cheddar one. Both fondues were adequate, with 4-5 ingredients mixed at the table. Dippers were bread, vegetables, and apple chunks. Even a novice cook could have easily assembled these. Next we had a relatively small salad that DID contain very tasty candied pecans. Entrees were various proteins (or one vegetarian offering) that are stewed at the table in a choice of vegetable or chicken stock (they have fancier names). Once again, serving size was less than expected for the price. I wondered why anyone should pay that much to boil beef/pork/duck/chicken in stock? Food quality: meats/seafood seem to be high quality. Of course, all of these items cook at different rates so it's impossible to gauge when anything's properly cooked.

A few administrative negatives: The sinks in the bathroom only poured ice cold water (it's December in NY!). There was no light in the fully enclosed stall in the bathroom - I should have brought my night vision goggles. The tile floors throughout the restaurant were coated with a sticky film. The restaurant has a policy not to sit anyone in a party with a reservation until all have arrived. The restaurant is in the basement of the building, with an industrial-looking staircase the only way to access.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My daughter decided that she wanted a fondue party for her 13th birthday party. Everything was great from start to end. Initially I contacted them to so the reservation and they worked well with me to get everything in order. We arrived a few minutes late and had about 5 extra guest with me but that wasn't an issue. The only issue that I would say that came about was the amount of food. The portions were small. At the end the server was very nice to us to enroll us in there frequency program and I've just received my gift cards that I plan on using very soon. It's a good experience to have. Didn't have the cheese course but did the salad, entree and chocolate, loved the turtle and the smores.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went for lunch, it's a nice quiet place. I never had fondue before so I wasn't sure what it would be like. We ordered the fiesta cheese, wasn't sure how spicy it would be so had it mild. Next time I would have a little more spice. Had the teriyaki marinated sirloin with the court bouillon cooking style. I was afraid the bouillon would take away the flavor of the marinade but it was delicious. It came with potatoes, mushrooms and broccoli. It was expensive but I found it worth the splurge. Next time I'll try chocolate fondue.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went with a discount coupon for dinner on the weekend. Very spacious, super comfortable fondue restaurant. The odors associated with eating there was minimized by the spacing. Décor was simple and classy, and layout well-planned. The waiter was extremely friendly, attentive and professional. First was a cheese fondue for two—we chose the Swiss cheese fondue which was prepared at the table on a built-in mini electric stovetop. The waiter added wines and several other ingredients which we forgot—the wines were too dominant and probably unnecessary. We were given cups of veggies and slices of granny apples, and a big bowl of bread chunks. The cheese fondue was so-so, taste-wise. Then we had a choice of salads. A house salad with house dressing (sweet & tangy) was very good with many different ingredients (eg hard boiled egg). My companion had the spinach mushroom salad which was good. The main course was an “endless entrée” fondue – you could choose veggie broth or bourguignon for no charge or a couple of others for surcharge. I’m a purist and chose the oil. We got white shrimp (good sized), filet mignon (OK), teriyaki sirloin (OK), ravioli (good) and chicken (good). There were 6 dipping sauces and all were decent, some better than others. The quality of meats was so-so-but not fatty. The skill of your fondue cooking determined how well the items came out. The waiter gave instructions on length of time each item should be cooked—but that would be affected by how many items you were cooking as that would bring down the temperature of your oil, and if there were lull period the oil could cool a bit. It took a few tries to master cooking the meats to get a tender rare inside and not tough outside. The shrimps were easy but we later learned almost crisping them was really good. The chicken was difficult not to undercook or overcook. Ravioli was easiest and tasty. We got almost a 50% discount—worth it maybe even if full-priced and all you can eat. A glass of wine was $9. The place is not cheap but the experience compares favorably with other fondue restaurants which are almost never exclusively devoted to fondue cooking. Note—we saw plenty of children and events for kids are promoted there. Fondue cooking is not for the faint of heart as we saw one child burned by splatter. Some home fondues have a splatter shield—if they didn’t have them, the restaurant should provide them when kids eat there, or maybe even for adults.