“Curated Comfort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Westport B&B and Inns
Milwaukee
“Curated Comfort”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I spent a few days in Westport at the Inn and was sad to have to leave. The innkeeper made me feel very welcome and at home. The place was spotless, my bed was very comfy, the breakfast offerings ample (cereals, yoghurt, breads and English muffins, juices, hot beverages ~ all self-service). Guests can brew myriad teas at an upstairs hall counter whenever they like. Each room is unique ~ this is not a cookie-cutter kind of place ~ and named for a renowned author. But the delight is the innkeeper's bookselling business, including first editions, on the first floor, through which guests pass to either the breakfast room or lounge (with a stunning Lake Champlain view. Clearly well-curated, it's a bookworm's paradise. And if you are a bookworm, but sure to stroll across the green to the Westport Library ~ a gem!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kasebrot
alexra4, Owner at The Inn in Westport, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you, I am so glad that you enjoyed everything and that the bookstore was able to bring you so much delight. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
upstate New York
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Inn in Westport is that increasingly hard to find property in the Adirondacks: historic yet clean and comfortable, furnished in delightful harmony with its age and architecture, not subjected to major overhauls in the name of accommodating "today's" traveler. My cozy little room, the Edgar Allen Poe, was a delight - a space that Invited me to have a quiet read in an easy chair by the window before snuggling into bed. One does not lack for something to read, being welcome to borrow a volume or two from the on-premises bookstore during one's stay. The inn is very reasonably priced: my rate in mid-October 2013, just after high season, was less than a hundred dollars a night, and the foliage was still glorious. The view of Lake Champlain, the park immediately across the street, the quietness of a town that welcomes travelers but doesn't seem to market itself as a tourism destination - all added up to a restful and too brief stay. As others have remarked, I too hope to return to Westport someday for a longer sojourn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 29, 2013

For my birthday my husband surprised me with a stop on our way to Montreal at the most charming bed and breakfast. The Inn at Westport is beautifully located on the shore of Lake Champlain. Anthony greeted us cordially and escorted us to our room.

We stayed in the Oscar Wilde room and the first thing I saw upon entering were gorgeous flowers and a bottle of chilled champagne. The room was beautifully decorated with period pieces including a luxurious king size bed. Yet the room did not lack modern amenities. We had a comfortable night.

After a filling breakfast we crossed the street to walk along the shore of Lake Champlain. Then on to Montreal. I thoroughly enjoyed my birthday surprise and I look forward to returning in warmer weather.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Canaan, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were wondering the Champlain Valley and chose the Inn because of its proximity to Crown Point and the Essex-Charlotte Ferry. The Hosts were wonderful, greeted us warmly and provided some local information. Across the street is a park that slopes down to the Lakefront, with the Green Mountains of Vermont as a backdrop. Staying in the Proust Room, we had a very good view out of the spotlessly clean large windows. (If only the town had buried the utility lines!). We saw a spectacular sunrise over the Greens.

In addition to a wonderful room, the Inn features an Antique Book Shop and gift shop featuring the work of local artisans, where we purchased some jewelry for our daughters in law. The Inn's location was perfect for wondering through the charming village of Westport. Breakfast at the Inn's cafe (not included in room rate) was delicious and filling. We decided that some time soon we would make this our destination instead of a stopping point!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with windows facing Lake Champlain!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
alexra4, Owner at The Inn in Westport, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you and we are so glad you enjoyed the Inn, we look forward to having you visit again.
Elkins, West Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Hook
My wife, son, and I stayed at the Inn during a driving trip in NE, and it was perfect for that purpose. I also believe those who are looking at it as a weekend destination would also love it. I highly recommend it.

The Inn is across the street from the lake, but the other side of the street is where an inn once stood and is now a grassy hill, so the view of the lake is wonderful. And, it is only a walk of a minute or so down to the shore.

Part of the ground floor of the Inn is a bookstore with two rooms full of used books across a wide array of topics. Some of the books are merely used, but reasonably priced. There are some older books, however, and even some first editions. It seems the books are Alexandra's passion and it appears that she has selected most if not all of them herself. I like used bookstores, and this is one I would visit even if we had not stayed at the Inn.

The main areas of the Inn are not air-conditioned. We were there during an uncommon heat spell, however, and it was not uncomfortably hot in the morning and evening (we were not there during the middle of the day). There was a portable air conditioner in our room which kept it cool, but the location of the room--1st floor, no sun exposure, and essentially no windows--helped with that as well.

In the evening, you can sit on the deck where lunch, etc is served during the day. The deck is on the side of the Inn, just out of sight on the right side of the photo above, and so is basically on the street, although to your left is a very small park. We live in a rural area and a busy street is not our idea of fun. Even though the street is the main thoroughfare on that side of the lake, however, there was very little traffic during the evening. So, it was a wonderful place to have a drink and look at the beautiful lake before retiring.

We stayed in Room 101, which has a queen bed in one room, a double bed in another, and one bathroom. It is a reasonably large suite and decently appointed. Judging from the photos, it is not as well-appointed as some of the other rooms, but it is perfect for a small family. It is not the sort of room you would want to spend the day in, but given the activities available--perhaps reading in some of the common areas on a rainy day--you wouldn't really want to. It has a separate entrance in the back, and is so cut off from the other areas of the Inn that it is literally silent. I see that other reviewers have commented about road noise. It is true that some large trucks travel past, but in Room 101, you can't hear them--or anything else--at all.

Breakfast is not included in the rate. Instead, you can choose to have breakfast in the cafe next to (and adjoining) the bookstore. I vastly prefer that approach because: 1) you can choose when or whether to breakfast; and 2) you can choose how much you want to eat/spend. The selection is pretty standard breakfast fare. For the omelets, you can choose among a variety of good quality ingredients, liberally applied. The prices are very reasonable.

The approach of the owners is more European inn-style rather than staying-in-a-friend's-house B&B. Personally, I prefer that style: in some B&B's the interaction with the staff and other guests is too close. That is not to say, however, that the owners are not personable. They were a ready resource for anything we wanted, including recommendations about where to go, where to eat, and what to see. In fact, as Alexandra brought our breakfast one morning she heard us discussing whether my wife's footwear was adequate for what we had planned. She immediately offered some of her own hiking boots for my wife to use.

At approximately $300 for 3 people for 2 nights, it was an excellent value.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was in Westport for a wedding and stayed at this super cute inn. I love the book theme that runs through it and that they have a little cafe. It was great. We were not sure what to expect in such a small town, but this inn was more than we had hoped for.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Emily Dickinson room which was great. As a corner room there was a ton of natural l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My sister & I stayed here for an overnight get-away. Our room was very large with a view of the lake & the park. The whole Inn is nicely decorated with an interesting library/author theme. The bed was very comfy, the bath is updated and well-stocked with supplies.
The Innkeepers were very nice and let us stay until the train left at 2:00.
I know the web site said there would be no breakfast offered on the off season, but just a muffin would have been nice since we ended up having to drive a distance to Elizabethtown to find a cafe. The cafe across the street was closed for renovations & would be opening in the Spring so this should not be an issue with others staying there now.
I took the train which is less than a mile from the Inn. A light packer could easily walk to the Inn. The train station is right out of an old movie, beautiful.
I am giving this a 4 instead due to the inconvenience of no place to eat breakfast and I also felt the rate was quite high for being off season.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front have a beautiful view of Lake Champlain.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westport
Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites
#5 of 6 in Ticonderoga
RoosterComb Inn
RoosterComb Inn
#3 of 4 in Keene Valley

Been to The Inn in Westport? Share your experiences!