“OK for a pit stop”

Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
Warwick, United Kingdom
“OK for a pit stop”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

So a friend and I stayed here for one night on our way from Manhattan to Boston. It was just the trick as we hadn't slept for 4 days partying in Manhattan and we needed somewhere to rest ourselves.

The guest house it self is run by a charming man (Peter) and the staff are all lovely. The room and facilities are very basic. The stairs are literally the most creaky stairs you will ever walk on.

It was a strange place. I don't want to bad mouth it because it was everything it said it was but it was not exactly luxurious nor was it particularly comfortable.

All in all if you are looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful in this area then go ahead. But don't stay for long.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I am the owner of the Grassmere Inn. I am truly appreciative that this guest noted our hospitality, value, cleanliness, rgreat location, and service oriented culture. And, particularly happy that he/she felt we met his expectations. It is very true that our stairs creak. Our building is over 140 years old. Perhaps he was too close to the stairs and is a light sleeper. We don't know. However, concerned that he felt we were strange in some way. . We have guests from all walks of life. There have been Presidents and Ministers of foreign countries. Good Morning America hosts. Professional athletes and CEOS of public companies. However, we also cater to families and working people. Virtually all our guests feel we meet or exceed their expectations and are welcoming to all. Would love to have the opportunity for another visit with him/her. Most feel we are much more than a pit stop but we respect his opinion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This little Inn is a nice option for a shortstay in the Hamptons. The owner and stuff are absolutly lovely but don't expect to much if it comes to equipment and furnishing. It's and an old house and not much done on renovation for a long time, we guess. The floor and stairs creak and the bed squeaks. (So nothing for honeymooners or active couples ;) )
The location on the other hand is just perfect. The restaurants are just around the corner and it takes only a 10 - 15 min walk to get to the beautiful beach.
We enjoyed our stay a lot but the house could really need some improvement.

1 Thank KatWitch64
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I've recently returned from my stay at the Grassmere Inn and will definitely be back! We arrived a little early and the front desk was so warm and welcoming, they were even able to get us into our rooms before check in. Our rooms were very comfortable and clean. The Inn is so cozy and beachy, you can lounge around, use their wifi, and store snacks in the guest fridge. They also have tennis facilities nearby and were able to accommodate lessons for us at the last minute. The Grassmere has fair rates and creates a sweet spot to enjoy the beauty of the area. Peter is super knowledgeable about the Hamptons and makes an effort to be sure you're enjoying yourself. Really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, you can ask for a shared bath. There might not even be anyone sharing th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Whitestone, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was a little apprehensive when reading some negative reviews but we got here and Peter Kaplan, Property manager was there to greet us with a smile! We arrived a little later than Check-In Time. The views of the room were wonderful, quiet, perfect location, you're right around the corner from the shops. It was a real treat. It was the first time I stayed overnight in Westhampton and can't wait to go back. I absolutely loved this place and the rooms inthe Sports Complex were great. Breakfast in the open garden was wonderful too, the living room was a great time to meet others visiting. Overall. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the Annex, Sports Complex, great rooms!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I've never been to the Hamptons before and I live in NYC. I decided to spend my 31st birthday here with some friends. I really didn't know what to expect but I'm so glad we came. Although it was an overnight stay, we had such a great time and plan to return back. The manager of the Grassmere Inn, Peter Kaplan, was simply great to us and so hospitable. He made sure things were smooth for a first time visitor. I recommend this stay...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kgloverlover
nyc
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I came to stay here based on a Groupon offer. We stayed in the back building and had two comfy beds, an older style TV, dresser, lamp, closets and private bath. If there were any other people on our floor, we didn't see them. It was fairly quiet and private.

It's rare when you get to spend so much time talking to the Proprietor. Peter Kaplan was open, accessible and accommodating. This coupon included some free tennis lessons, which were terrific. They were clearly overwhelmed by the amazing response their Groupon offer generated but Peter handled it well and we were quite satisfied with our stay.

This is an old fashioned B&B, in an old front house and a smaller back house in a ritzy community. You don't come to stay here for the luxury amenities, but to have a laid-back, rustic visit in a clean and safe environment close to all the action. The room had a rustic charm (C-5) with wainscotted walls. We had ants on the dresser by the day we left, but truth be told, I think I had an unfinished cookie in my bag and it undoubtedly attracted them (there are signs everywhere advising people not to bring any food or drinks into their rooms). They were tiny, too, and as soon as I mentioned it, they was seen to. Our room faced the front and the light coming in was a very strong at night. My suggestion to Peter would be to find a way to have the outdoor lights outside the back building be less bright, or movement triggered.

We paid $5 for breakfast (it wasn't included in our coupon), which was a bargain considering that a cup of coffee around the corner would be $3 alone. Breakfast was cereal, yogurt, various breads and spreads, and a nice fruit salad (plus juice, coffee and tea). They had a variety of newspapers every morning. You could eat inside or outside. They have a fridge in the main house dining area where you can store some food.

It's a mile to the beach - I rode my bike there - mostly flat, so an easy ride. The beach costs $10 to get on and is well worth it. Town is a 1 minute walk away. So the location is excellent.

The only downside to staying in the back building is that there is no wi-fi there. You have to go to the big house to use it. I was happy to save the money and just walked over to the main house when I needed to use my laptop. It would have been nice if they'd had a sofa in the living room area (there are just 3 or 4 club chairs there at the moment) - it was a large space that was begging for some more furniture, like a sofa and coffee table.

The Staff was friendly and young.

I would recommend this place to anyone for their next stay in Westhampton.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house are nicer, with a bit nicer bathrooms too; but the ones in the back buil...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to get away for a night and The Grassmere Inn was the perfect place. We arrived on a Tuesday and felt comfortable within minutes! Peter was so nice and very helpful! He gave us the passes to get onto the beach (you still have to pay $10), and suggested places for us to eat. All of his suggestions were great! We could go down the block to the beach or around the corner to the town.
We stayed in room 9 in the main building. The room was very nice and the bed and pillows were VERY comfortable! In the morning they had a nice breakfast of different breads and spreads and great fruit salad. It was so nice to enjoy breakfast on the beautiful porch. The common area is also very nice and they have a ton of board games incase you are there on a rainy day.

We Loved the Atomsphere! We will be going back

Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Colonial Shores Resort
Colonial Shores Resort
#4 of 12 in Hampton Bays

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!