“Warming,engaging and well located”

Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
New York City, New York
“Warming,engaging and well located”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

3 main rules of real estate: location, location, location. The fact that the grassmere is located right on main street, minutes away from the beach and the train station and only 1:15 hours from new york city is enough for me to make the whole trip worthwhile. On top of that, the service is very welcoming and accommodating. I got beach passes, a ride to tennis and help with places to visit in the area. Peter is very knowledgeable and friendly. A 5 star resort? I wouldn't think so, but I knew the type of place it was from talking to peter and reading the description beforehand. Guests that stay there are mostly friendly and sociable. I am definitely going back this fall and next summer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Wilmette, Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The guest came in from the Chicago area - Carpenter installing a kitchen project in the area and stayed at the Grassmee Inn for 3 weeks. Peter Kaplan from the Grassmere Inn helped me with the arrangements for his guest to have a private spot and not always have to be part of the Inn's main activity areas. Peter was very accomadating and our installer was very comfortable in a cottage behind the Inn to come and go to the job site as he pleased. Our Installer said he was very comfortable and if having to go back and work at that same job site would go back to the Grassmere Inn.

A very statisfied guest from Chicago.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Walking in to this hotel was shocking. The inn is extremely rundown and in need of investment and some serious TLC. Our room was up 2 flights of very creaky stairs covered in ancient, fraying rugs. The shower was on par with a campsite, with chipping tiles, mold and dirty jars of soap/shampoo. We had envisioned bringing back wine and cheese and relaxing in the inn, but the last thing we wanted to do was to spend time there. The only good thing that I can say is that the sheets were clean and there were no bugs.

To say this is not the Ritz, as I've seen in other reviews, is a gross understatement.

As I rely on Tripadvisor when I travel, I felt compelled to write this review. It was the first time I ever got such an inaccurate picture of the hotel.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere. This is not a bargain, just amazingly low quality.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Miriam S
westhamptontennis, Owner at Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am the owner of the Grassmere Inn. We take every single guests' stay quite seriously. Regardless of how much or how little one pays, there are certain matters which are non negotiable and one cannot compromise on. To us, the most important issue is cleanliness. Second most important issue to us is providing realistic expectations and meeting or exceeding those expectations. Apparently we failed here. I personally handle 95 - 98% of the inquiries and reservations If one books "online" I personally attempt to contact every single guest prior to arrival. However, occasionally that is impossible as contact information is not always provided. I am not certain who this guest is but hope he/she reads this and contacts me. My home number is 914 234 9462 and it is readily available and printed on all our communications, website, advertisements. etc. We do not have a separate line and in many cases our phones do not have caller id. I am accessible virtually 24 hours per day.. My guess is I did not speak to them prior to arrival but perhaps I am; wrong. Re : Complaints Carpeting. There is no question the stairway carpeting is old and must be replaced or eliminated. In fact, we have eliminated carpets in virtually all the guest rooms and have reclaimed the hardwood floors or have installed new wood flooring. It is much easier to keep clean and most guests prefer it. However, we have not had a chance to do the hallway carpeting yet. Re Mold This is untrue. One of my closest friends has an air quality and mold inspection company. We monitor the bathrooms for this constantly. There is no mold. I am trying to find out which room this guest was in. However, we do provide expensive soap and shampoos which are kept in dispensers in the bathrooms.. So, far, we can't find any that are dirty. Nor can we find the tiles that are supposedly coming off. We will keep looking or perhaps the guest will advise. RE Housekeeping Each housekeeper is assigned a room and there is no incentive to do the rooms quickly. The only incentive is for them to do a thorough job or they will not have a job !! So, no pressure to turn the rooms over quickly. . After a room is cleaned, another housekeeper must inspect and sign off on it. Finally, a front office person must also sign off. 2 or 3 sets of eyes are better than 1. We have our staff sleep in different rooms to ascertain the comfort of the beds and making certain all items are working. And, that there are no other issues. As I advise each staff member, every guest is a new test. We must be respectful of his/her time. The write of this complaint and all other prospective guests are welcome to call me at home. There are many good reasons why so many dignitaries and other professionals have stayed with us after inspecting our property and comparing it to others.
Long Beach NY
Reviewed September 14, 2012

To begin with, i have to say this was my first stay at a B&B and we had no idea what to expect. The staff was extremly friendly and the Manager Peter would bend over backwards to help you feel comfortable. We rented the 2 room apartment in the back building as it offerred some privacy and had its own bathroom. The couch was opened when we got there and seemed comfortable. The room was cozy but sparse, which suited us fine. The bedroom, with a low ceiling, had a queen size bed which was a llittle hard but comfortable, but was creaky when you rolled around. The AC worked well and kept the bugs out. Another reviewer mentioned no lights other than lamps on the night stand and i suppose that may be an issue for some people. But the sheets and pillow cases were clean. The bathroom was small. The shower was small....i stand 5'8" and i felt like a giant. Anyone 6' or taller will have a problem showering unless they lie down. The manager said the bathroom was old and the fixtuers were old but to his credit they all worked pretty well, even with the uneven bathtub ( i guess it helps the water to drain). All in all, i was comfortable staying there for the price i paid ($200.00 for a last minute saturday night after Labor Day Weekend).
With that said, there are little things we noticed which could use a lil TLC. The floor was redone with a floating floor (Pergo Style) and you could tell it was to cover up a damaged/ uneven sub floor. Thats the purpose and they did a good job. But they didnt put the wooden door sill which would present a seamless floor from one room to the other...looked unfinished.
The shower as i said was small, the shower rod basically at eye level with me. Fine, i understand they are making due with what they have. But the shower curtain was a normal size curtain. So as you take a shower you are standing in the excess shower curtain. And when you get out the excess shower curtain on THAT side, which was cloth is also on the floor and all wet. A simple solution Peter could solve with a pair of scissors. Also the mirror in Bathroom looked warped...of course its not, it just needs a lil magnet behind the top of the door to work with the one on the bottom....5 seconds and its done. And the lights over the medicine cabinet?? Way to bright Peter. Wasting electricity as well as causing eye damage, but thats me.
Few other little details that they are probably to busy to notice. But they try, you can tell when you speak to them. The place was just as he had described, Comfy Beachy and Cozy.

Room Tip: Back Building has more privacy
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob T
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Beautiful location, I'm sure it is nice during the summer. We came in September and definitely were under the impression that the folks who ran the establishment used it as their hang out spot. A little weird, but not that burdensome. NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN THE ROOMS. Good thing to keep in mind, it really does make a difference.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Hoagiekogge
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a fabulous time staying at the Grassmere this summer. It was our 7th time visiting our favorite B&B in the Hamptons. We love returning because we're always made to feel right at home by their caring and attentive owner/manager Peter Kaplan. The rooms are always very clean and comfortable and we feel the value is second to none in the Hamptons. We love the fact that the Grassmere is located just one block away from downtown Westhampton Beach and yet just down the road from the beach...As avid tennis players, we always enjoy playing at the beautifully maintained hard tru tennis courts that are included in our weekend package. Court time was always available and the tennis staff was extremely friendly. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation at the beach you'll be thrilled with your experience at the Grassmere.

Room Tip: Speak to the owner Peter Kaplan and explain exactly what you're looking for? He will always take...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is my third year staying at the Grassmere Inn.
Peter Kaplan goes the Extra Mile to be the host extra ordinare!
The location is quaint, accomodating and perfectly situated in the heart of the West Hampton experience.
And they will always keep the light on for you !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
The Drake Inn
#1 of 12 in Hampton Bays
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Hotel Indigo Long Island - East End

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!