“The Perfect Spot For Us!!!”

Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast
“The Perfect Spot For Us!!!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I just returned back to the city after a week at the grassmere inn, and I have to say my stay was more than I expected. Peter, the owner, was fun, incredibly understanding, and quick to fix any complaints I had, which were little to none. My room was comfortable, charming, and I had absolutely no problems with the air conditioner, television, shower or bathroom. The staff was easy going, very helpful, accommodating, respectful, and might I add, very good looking!
The location of the grassmere inn could not be more ideal for a getaway to the hamptons! The town of West Hampton beach is walking distance, right around the corner in fact. Beach passes were provided, for access to the beautiful beach which is a short walk away.
There isn't a person I wouldn't recommend the grassmere inn to. It is relaxing, low key, and fun for everyone. As the other reviews pointed out, the place itself is old, and certainly not a typical "fancy" very modern place to stay. However, putting all expectations aside, this place is beachy, cozy, and everything else can be easily overlooked. I personally participated in the tennis program that the inn also provided, and i can say that it was nothing but laughs, and genuinely a fun atmoshpere to learn the game. It seems that all the negative reviews have been published during the off season for the hamptons, because I am certain that my summer week at the grassmere was above what I expected.

I look forward to my next stay at the grassmere, with Peter and the staff.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
new york
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Westhampton Beach is a wonderful, fashionable little town with a spectacular beach and enough shopping and dining to keep you busy for days. The Grassmere Inn is a lovely bed and breakfast a short walk to town and you can also walk to the beach. It is in the perfect location but the best part of The Grassmere is the people. Peter is funny, smart, insightful, and obviously loves what he does. He is one of those people you can have a conversation with, about anything! His staff as well as the tennis instructors are top-notch, and might I add incredibly good-looking! The atmosphere is beachy and friendly - a great place to stay, a great place to come home to, a great place to sleep, a great place to hang out and relax! My room was bigger than I thought it would be, and everything was nice and clean. My only complaint was that I couldn't stay longer. To the few people who balked at a carpet stain, at a neat big old B&B, The Grassmere is better off without people like you! Thank you Peter and staff of The Grassmere - I can't wait to bring my 11-yr-old son with me next time, spend the day at the beach, relax back at The Grassmere, walk to town (love the Beach Bakery's stuffed croissants and iced coffee, as well as all the high-end specialty shops and restaurants), then walk back to The Grassmere for a peaceful night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My child participated in a tennis camp here run by our club back home and it was the highlight of her summer. What a great location for a camp. The Grassmere Inn was perfect for the group. The kids got to enjoy the beach every day after playing tennis all day. They were able to walk ino town which is just a block away. The tennis facility was very nice and the overall experience was great. The staff was extremely accommodating and everything they requested or needed was taken care of immedietely. The kids all came back really excited and happy and can't wait for next year. We can't say enough good things.

• Stayed August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just had one of the most phenomenal getaways with my family ever! It was not just the usual Florida, Myrtle Beach or Ocean City type of trip. This time I convinced my husband and teenage sons to go on a little adventure that started in Manhattan and took a detour to the Hamptons. We had no particular destination in mind, and after an agent suggested Westhampton Beach, I googled hotels in the area. Only three came up, and the Grassmere Inn was the only one that offered an extremely affordable solution that gave us two bedrooms (across the hall from each other), bathrooms, TVs, and wireless internet access!

I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast, so I was a little leery, especially when Peter Kaplan (the owner) told me that it was "not The Ritz" and that "the rooms were simply furnished, but nice and clean". He was right! However, the charm of the inn and the staff's (mainly Peter's) attention to our every need made me quickly forget all about places like The Ritz. As a result, our plans to stay for one night were extended to three. If my boys weren't clamoring to get to Ocean City (there is a teen club there), it would have turned into four or five.

I don't know what won me over the most -- maybe the rocking chairs on the front porch where my husband and I spent each evening rocking and talking while our boys played basketball on the side yard, or the napping in the chairs under the big shade tree on the side of the inn after a long walk to the beach and complimentary croissants and fruit. Aww man -- it was great!!!!!! I have never had this much fun at a Ritz Carlton ever!

One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen is less than a mile from the inn, and it is such a pleasant walk as you enjoy the view of multi-million dollar homes and gorgeous landscaping. In the other direction, a lovely village is less than two blocks away with a drug store, restaurants and shops. We enjoyed a delicious lunch at the Post Stop Cafe (best waffle fries ever) and drove about 25 minutes to Riverhead, NY to a Tangers Outlet (my best outlet trip to date). So plenty to do, a lot of beautiful sites to see, and lots of opportunity for rest, relaxation, family time and romance! I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, you may want to pick a room further away from the stairs. The owner is...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ny
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from an overnight at the Grassmere Inn,a bed and breakfast in Westhampton Beach and the location is perfect. It is about a mile to Rodgers Beach and just a walk around the corner to the town of Westhampton Beach with its restaurants and stores. Since it is the closest Hampton from the city, it only took 1 hour to get there (on a Monday morning). Upon arriving, while our room wasn't ready, we were shown the guest bathroom to change in and off we went to the beach. Arriving back to the Inn, we checked in with the owner, Peter, who was friendly and humorous. Our room was on the top floor. Simple, clean, great air conditioning, and quiet. Before dinner we enjoyed snacks on the porch and you can keep your items in their refrigerator. Breakfast is help yourself, bagels, croissants, fresh fruit, yogurt and more.We ate outside at a table to enjoy the morning. There is a "living room" with a large TV, comfortable seating and board games in case of rain. It is not the RItz, but a great place to go to for a very reasonable price in the Hamptons!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was a little dubious at first given the photos of the rooms and Peter Kaplan's description which was completely honest. It is certainly a "no frills" kind of place but what it lacks in aesthetics it more than makes up for in the ambience of relaxation and friendliness. Peter's efforts in making your stay a pleasurable and enjoyable one is felt right from the time you get there. He and his staff put out a really good and nutritious breakfast with real dishes and silverware. The outside area is pretty and the guests I met there were interesting and ready to exchange conversation and ideas about things to do. I also participated in Peter's Tennis Camp for adults where the pros were all from Spain this past time and were gracious, friendly, talented and very good looking. I feel I learned a great deal from attending those tennis clinics. I would highly recommend Peter Kaplan's Grassmere Inn for the convenience of being right in the downtown area, a few blocks from the beach and for the "at home" atmosphere that Peter and his staff create.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York
Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was our 8th year going to the Grassmere with our friends. Everything about this place is right. Peter and his staff are always friendly, respectful, courteous and very helpful. The rooms are quite nice and affordable and very clean. We have stayed in various rooms with the same expectation and we have been very satisfied each and every time. The continental breakfast is more than enough and you have several choices from bagels, muffins yogurt and fresh fruit daily. His location can't be topped, walk to town and extremely close to the beach. We always go in the summer. We are again planning a trip sometime next month and again I'm certain that we will be very satisfied as we have been in the past. For thepeople that had complaints, get a life, I think you need one!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hilton Garden Inn Riverhead
Colonial Shores Resort
Colonial Shores Resort
#4 of 12 in Hampton Bays

Been to Grassmere Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!