“REAL southern barbecue in Westfield, NY!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Westfield, New York
“REAL southern barbecue in Westfield, NY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

I recently moved back to Westfield ( I grew up here ) after spending 30 years in South Carolina. When I left SC I thought I was leaving two of my favorite SC gastronomical loves behind, those being REAL barbecue (not that stuff soaked in Kraft's barbecue sauce we pass off as barbecue around here) and old Charleston shrimp and grits. As I was driving down Route 20 I saw (and smelled ) a new barbecue restaurant had opened in what "back in the day" had been Elwell's Tastee Freeze. Well, I knew I was not going to find the heavenly real barbecue of the South here in Westfield, but I thought I would give it a try.

First, I was greeted by a wonderful and smiling young lady who welcomed me and told me how excited she was I was there and how excited they were to be in business and that they had just opened and her enthusiasm and good vibes just radiated!! Kim is a REAL asset to this restaurant. She knows how to treat people and how to make you want to come back again and again.
. Now this is NOT a fancy place by any means. It you want to impress your company from out of town with fine dining and china and crystal and linen napkins, this is NOT the place for you. It is much like all good barbecue places I have ever been to, a few tables and odd and ends of furniture that have been brought in from home and some big ol' trash cans and a LOT of napkins and bottles of sauce if you are a novice, the essentials for enjoying barbecue excellence.

I knew I was in for a treat when I saw collards, dirty rice and corn bread as "sides". OH MAMA! I then also found out that their grill man was trained in Georgia! Well, if I was still in SC that would be a bad thing as there is NOTHING worse than a reminder of a Georgia Bull Dog when you are an orange through and through Clemson grad...except maybe a Carolina Game Cock! However, this friendly guy was "grilling" and they do a pretty good job of that in Georgia I have to admit! And he does!!

This first visit I got the combo barbecue ribs and chicken with collards, dirty rice and corn bread. It was served up in one of those meal-size white foam boxes I left back in Anderson...but did it TASTE like my barbecue from the South?? I of course picked the meat up ( only sissys eat barbecue with utensils ) and took a bite....and a smile slowly spread across my face!!!! Kim was watching me to see what I thought and as that smile spread across my face, one spread across her's too! "Like it?", she asked! OH MAMA!!!!!!!!

Their barbecue is FABULOUS, beef, pork and chicken and if you are not familiar with collards and dirty rice and corn bread....you have an opportunity to sample some of the finest at KISS BARBECUE! These folks know what they are doing!!!!!! I have been back again and again and try something new each visit! I am almost through the entire menu and EVERYTHING has been fabulous....well....except ONE item. Sorry Kim, I have to say it! :) I hate to even mention it, but it important in a barbecue place. Forget the french fries as currently offered....they are thin and tasteless. I am not sure if they are frozen, but not worthy of being served with the barbecue they serve up. I am hoping they go to hand cut fries soon and they will have a PERFECT menu!

As a previous reviewer said I almost hate to post this as this place is going to TAKE OFF! They deserve to though...they have done a SPECTACULAR job!

• Visited July 2014

California
“Finally Found Great BBQ near Chautauqua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Almost didn't write this because ithe BBQ is so good that once people know about it
we probably will not get a table or they will run out of food.
As we drove by ( after having brunch) smelled the BBQ being smoked on a huge outdoor smoker.
Being a BBQ lover stopped in to check it out.
Greeted by Kim who told me they had been opened about a week.
Kim let me try the baby back ribs and they were fantastic with a light sweet sauce.
The BBQ being served looked wonderful.
Afew tables inside and benches outside.
Can't wait to go back for the Ribs, pulled pork and chicken.
Not sure of their hours. Check at 716-232-4050