“TOO MANY DRUGS”

Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Westbury
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Reserved with AAA and then when i checked in was told not accepting aaa. Smoke detecter alwasy going off from people smoking i rooms.

Staff was happy whenver i saw them.

Wish the hotel would do sumthing about all the drug use. Leaving hotel with my children and saw a drug deal right in the parking lot. Stayed for 2 nights on the 3 floor and smelled very funny smells. Checked out and went to holiday inn. Called down to front desk and was told unless i could prove what room it was coming from nothing could be done.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ANONYMOUS P
gwenrichard, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

I apologize for your experience at our inn. We strive to not only meet but exceed our guests expectations and in this case it sounds as if we did neither. Our team has a single focus to provide the best experience in regards to the comfort and safety of our guests at all times. I hope you will give us the chance to experience this the next time you are in town.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel was clean, rooms were small, services and amenities were few. Located in a industrial area. We stayed for a weekend family event on the island. It was good enough for that purpose. There is no pool, restaurant, gym. The only amenity they offered was round the clock lobby coffee.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
gwenrichard, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for the review on your recent stay with us. For the items you listed that were not there, we try and make up for with a comfortable stay in a great location. Being conveniently located near great dining and major attractions always makes for a great stay at the Red Roof Inn Long Island. We thank you for the review and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Have been staying here during the week for going on 3 weeks now, staying in a King sweet so I have a fridge and micro. The rooms have been very clean and comfortable much cleaner then other hotel I stayed in up here. The tv actually has good reception. The help have been very Friendly and welcoming. biggest knock is no fittness room. NOT AT ALL what I expected when I heard Red Roof Inn. Will be up hear off and on for a couple more months and will continue to stay here.

Room Tip: Need a place to watch sports go to Bottomz Up about 1 mile away (I have walked there) 50 Tvs any tea...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We're from the area, and come back often to visit family. Since we usually travel with our dog our choices are limited in Nassau County. The rooms are clean and basic, nothing fancy but certainly adequate for a night or 2. The staff is pleasant and always welcoming. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner (they give you a tiny bottle of 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, pretty useless).
I have never heard any dogs barking, and I have not had any issues when we ask for extra towels. The location is great, lots of shopping and restaurants in the area and it's a safe neighborhood. They have coffee in the lobby but the powdered creamer is gross, not sure why they can't provide some milk or cream in the lobby in the morning. All in all it's a decent place to stay for the money, and if you have AAA ask for the discount! Beware, the free wi-fi is slow!

Room Tip: The king deluxe rooms are a little more $ but worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend. Called down to front desk, asked for an extra pillow (there were 3 on bed for 2 people) We both like to sleep with 2. We were told there are no more pillows. How are you out of pillows? When maid came to make up room, our towels were not replaced. The dust on the dresser is a shock. The fact that it was not wiped down amazes me. I put my purse on top of dresser and dust actually blew. The faucet on sink which is located in same room as your bed ( about 3 feet away) was broken. The set up is very odd. Sinks are usually in bathrooms. Our door we had to SLAM shut as the lock on door was broken. I have lived in NY my entire life, and have seen other hotels in area when family would come up to visit, and this by far is the worst. Stay at the Hyatt or Hampton Inn which is around corner. Much better quality. This place is dark, dingy and a joke. They should host a murder mystery weekend here - It would be perfect. Oh btw - The dogs barging across hall was a complete joke. I have 5 dogs, so I am a huge animal lover. However, I would NEVER let them get out of hand like that. So be aware - this is a pet "friendly" hotel. Too bad its not people friendly.

Room Tip: Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jean D
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My first stay. Expected 3 stars per TravelAdvisor. Wasn't even close. Changed rooms bc of uncontrolled dog barking in first room and lack of light bulbs or iron. 2nd room had uncloseable exterior window, no lamp on desk, side wall light that didn't work, broken faucet on sink, bathroom door unlockable with broken handle, dirty carpet, no soap, no extra TP roll and had to call twice for iron over 2 hour period. Rooms are generally dark. No complimentary breakfast. Staff not knowledgeable about local walkable places to eat. Hallways and stairwells needed attention re vacuuming etc. Beats sleeping under a bridge and I'm sure I don't appreciate the residual impact of Hurricane Sandy, but...yes I was disappointed. Sorry Red Roof Westbury but that IS what happened.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank StanDyck
gwenrichard, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for the comments on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing as we are looking into all that you have mentioned. Your feedback is so important to us and every day we use it to get better, so we thank you for that. I hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you back this way.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn recently for a bit less than a week. We managed an online deal and got a king-sized room for a reasonable price. But it's definitely one of your average, no-frills hotels. You get free soap, thin towels, shampoo and your standard anemic hair dryer. The only other frill was a mini coffee maker in the room which was not bad - better than the coffee in the lobby.

Our biggest issue was that they put us in a handicapped-accessible room (number 215) without warning us. The shower was almost impossible to use - the showerhead was at shoulder height in the middle of the tub (not the end) so you had to huddle to one side to get under the spray. When we tried to adjust it it either fell off or sprayed the water outside the shower. But the next morning when I asked for a non-handicapped room they were happy to change us over.

Pros: Comfortable bed, lots of room, nice and clean. One of the staff members was wonderful and polite (wish I could remember his name) - he was the one who changed over our room and later on asked to see if we were happy with the new room.

Cons: Sink area is pretty small for a couple sharing the space. No breakfast option at all. Walls were pretty thin - we heard our neighbour's alarm go off about 5 times one morning. A different staff member was a bit abrasive at check-in and when I rang to ask what the weather was going to be he told me to look out the window to see it was raining; when I asked the temperature he said 'cold.' Maybe he thought it was funny but I found it quite rude.

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm that you are NOT in a handicapped room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
gwenrichard, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are sorry about the room type you were originally put into. I am glad we were able to work that out for you to make your stay more comfortable. Also, I have shared your comments with the staff because feedback such as yours only makes us better. We hope to see you real soon if your travels bring you back this way.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbury
Hilton Garden Inn Westbury
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Hyatt Place Garden City
Hyatt Place Garden City
#3 of 4 in Garden City

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island? Share your experiences!