“Cruel to Disabled Person” 1 of 5 bubbles

Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Westbury
GreenLeadersGold level
Anchorage, Alaska
“Cruel to Disabled Person”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I've only posted glowing reviews before.

But, I called the Viana directly & reserved a handicapped accessible room for 2 nights. I was thankful they had a room, since we'd flown thousands of miles on short notice & didn't have any reservations. They told me they were close to the hospital where I was having a scary proceedure the next morning. They said my room would be accessible by elevator, with no stairs.

The law says I don't have to mention I am assisted by a Service Dog...but I usually do...I was just exhausted & forgot. My Service Dog (Mobility & Alert), has never been denied in 45 nights spent in hotels, was never denied in resturants, theaters or on 22 Commercial flights! (he is brilliant & he looks like a poster for a Service Dog & he is well marked as a Service Dog!)

When I arrived the Viana, the Manager said I was "obviously" disabled & the SD was "obviously" well trained, but they require written certification for Service Dogs. They would not accept my Handicapped Parking Permit, a letter from the Hospital or my Airline Boarding Card. The desk clerk told me she told the manager they were required to admit Disabled persons assisted by a Service Dog.

I pointed out the Federal Law specifically forbids them asking for written verification, but they had a right to know I was disabled & could ask when the SD did for me. (I said he assists with Mobility, Alerts me to falls & has 35 other commands...but keeping me out of the ER was my favorite) I assured them they, their other guests & their cleaning staff would never know my SD was there!

The manager said "she knew the Federal Law", but did not have to follow it or the New York State Law. She called the hotel owner & said "he is an attorney & he says Federal Law doesn't apply in NY State, so without written SD Certification, you can not stay".

They refused to help me find another hotel.

They refused to speak to their own Reservation Service people who offered to advise them to let us stay. They refused to listen to the Police I called & who came & said they could not deny me because of a Service Dog. After 2 1/2 hours, they said my husband and I could stay ONLY if I agreed to NOT enter the hotel lobby, the elevator, or the restuarant. They said only my husband could go everywhere every other guests could go.

I told the officer it wasn't safe without the elevator & I was done being humiliated by the hotel, so we left.

The 800# was very nice, but they said they are not legally connected to the Viana & called me from London & offered me a free trip to any of their hotels, but I told her I had no problem with the 800# as they were kind. I only want them to post signs at their hotel saying "Disabled Persons assisted by a Service Dog are welcome."

I waited 2 weeks, but didn't hear from the hotel & I wanted to make sure they didn't treat anyone else so cruelly, so today I called the General Manager who angrily told me he knew all about it & the Front Desk Manager was RIGHT to refuse a Disabled Person with a Medical Service Dog unless the Disabled Person has a written PRESCRIPTION for the use of a Service Dog.

Over and Over he angrily told me "We are pet friendly, but only if the pet has a written prescription saying they are a Service Dog."

I said your staff made me disclose very private medical information but I was so exhausted after traveling over 15 hours I kept jumping through her hoops to try to get to go to bed.

He said none of that mattered since I didn't have a prescription written to THEIR HOTEL saying I could stay there.

I said I can't believe you have known about this for 2 weeks, but you couldn't spend 3 minutes checking out the law before chewing me out for trying to stay in your hotel. I started to cry & he hung up on me.

Then he called me back and said he would check out the law, but I had been asked to leave because I had taken a picture inside the hotel lobby! Not because I had a Service Dog!

Does he really think anyone will buy that any hotel wouldn't allow pictures?? Or is it more likely he googled the law before his last call to me? All I wanted was to know no one else would run into this, I honesty thought he'd say they would re-train and make sure everyone else would be treated better. Instead he angrily lectured me. He treated me like a cockroach! (I am still shaking!) I am a HUMAN BEING! Even if there had been some stupid rule that disabled people had to stop & see a Doctor before every hotel...was sending me out to the street after 15 hours of travel a solution??

Disabled people aren't trying to "put one over on you"! We just want to live our lives as normally as possible, for as long as possible!

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank ElizabethAK
Viana1, General Manager at Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Thank you for your feedback; praise and criticism are equally important to us and we take our guests concerns very seriously. Typically if there is a review placed on here about the Viana Hotel and Spa that is less then exemplary; we respond immediately with apologies and corrective actions described. However, in this situation there is simply nothing to apologize for. You were never a guest at this Hotel, by your own choice, and you were absolutely NOT denied a check in due to your service dog. As a matter of fact, while you were in our lobby another guest was checked in with their service dog at that very moment without issue.

We not only accept service dogs freely, but we are a generally pet friendly hotel. While inquiring with you as to whether your dog was a service dog or a standard pet dog; you took flash photography at close range of our associate’s faces. The employees were intimidated by you and requested that you stop taking pictures of them and repeatedly had to ask you to step out of their personal space. From the moment you walked in the door, prior to any discussion about the service dogs, you were exhibiting erratic behavior. You had no reservation. Upon arrival at approximately 5pm, you demanded full access to our spa, which had closed at 4pm. You requested the police to be called and our employees quickly obliged as they were looking for help. As a matter of fact you state in your letter that our employees said you were, “obviously” disabled. They told us quite the contrary; they felt you were actually a threatening individual. But even after all of this, the Front Office Manager with the assistance of the Police officer’s, advised you that you could check in as long as this erratic behavior stopped.

You decided not to stay at the Viana; it was your choice to leave the premises. Again, it had nothing to do with your service dog.

The Viana has been and will continue to be a Hotel that welcomes service pets. We will also continue to be a company that fully supports our disabled guests. In addition to helping our hotel guests, we receive 3 to 4 requests a week to donate to and support local charities; we send a complimentary room donation to almost each one. We are an organization that prides ourselves on our financial charitable endeavors as well including; the Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County and the FDNY343ride honoring wounded war veterans. You can see these charities at http://www.holocaust-nassau.org and http://www.fdny343ride.com. This Sunday, November 13, 2011, 10% of all of our room revenue will be donated to the wounded warriors that you can read about on the Fdny343ride website. These men’s lives have been forever changed by the injuries they sustained fighting for our country and our freedom.

It is our goal to satisfy every guest. We are sorry we did not have the opportunity to service you as a guest. Had we been given the opportunity, I believe you would have a different impression of us. We wish you well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Woodbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

The handicapped parking is on the side of the building when it should be in front of the building. I had parked there and found that there was a flight of steps or a long walk to the front of the building. This parking should be reloacted to a sensible place.

The party I went to was very enjoyable. The service was excellent and the food delicious.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane36_11
Kinnelon, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2011

We were there for a local wedding and were stuck on the weekend of the October snowstorm. We did not know whether or not we could make it out that Sunday because of road closures. The people at the front desk were wonderfully accomodating and let us extent our check out time as a result of the storm uncertainty.

Check in was also an easy and comfortable experience with seats to allow us to rest while checking in. People were courteous and helpful. Rooms were modern, and clean. I could not ask for more.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Viana Hotel because I was attending a special event at the theater down the road. I was pleased to see find the hotel was in comfortable walking distance.

The hotel was nice, and the staff folks were very friendly. The room was large as was the bathroom. I ate a meal in the restaurant, and I thought that was good too.

Finding transportation from the airport was a bit of a challenge. I ended up taking a taxi recommended by the hotel, which saved a good bit of money.

I did not find the hotel loud as was suggested by previous reviewers. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Phila area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

if you rare looking to a modern, sleek hotel in an odd location, this is the place. The hotel is very modern and clean. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. Our room as good size and clean. We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.
If the hotel was in a more attractive location, it would be a real winner. It is not is a dangerous location, just an odd one.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

My hubby and I had a brief one night stay here. It was very beautiful, clean and luxurious.
It's modern and fancy, not for families and not for children.
The only negative is that it's in the middle of nowhere, the only nearby entertaiment is a movie theater. So my advice is to use it as a relaxation type of place, not for tourism.
My favorite was that the checkout time, NOON!

• Stayed September 2011
Veracruz, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Booked a "premium" King room. The first major problem, we arrived to a very clean, very nice room, minus a couch or love seat. There was only one chair and one recliner, for a room with two people... Whatever! The biggest problem I had was our nice view of Praxair facilities. They had big trucks making noise all night, and when the co2 tank trucks refill, it sounds like a broken fire alarm for approximately an hour and a half. It escapes me that they built a hotel/spa next to a noisy welding supply company, that my window overlooks powerlines and Praxair's facility, that a room for $200+/night doesn't come with a couch. We ended up leaving and going to the Hilton Garden Inn, and got much better sleep. Book the Hyatt if you want a nice room, book the Viana if you want to hear the beeping of trucks backing up with the intermitten roar of a diesel motor. STAY on the front side if you do end up staying here

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank waterproofpanda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbury
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Oheka Castle
Oheka Castle
#1 of 3 in Huntington

Been to Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!