“Beef on Weck Fresh Sliced off Steamship Round”

Schwabl's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 80 Restaurants in West Seneca
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a very fine place for beef on weck and always has been. Some years back, new owners took over, but are friendlier and allow take out - the previous owner would not even if you were from out of town - and the food is as good. The beef is sliced in the dining room area, rising up out of a modified steam table that holds a huge roast of beef in au jus. Its fresh sliced to order, rare to well done, and served hot and beautifully on a weck roll. Outstanding beef on weck.

Thank Ross .

Reviewed November 20, 2012

It's a mystery to me why people love this place so much? Too much hype. I've found hair in my food; was unable to chew thru my roast beef becasue it was sliced too thick (another patron of the restaurant had the same problem); and on my last (and final) visit, my sandwich was cold and soggy. Do yourself a favor and order a roast beef sandwich from Doc Sullivan's, Anderson's, Laughlin's....pretty much anywhere else.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The restaurant has been there for over 175 years. For those of us from British decent, roast beef is a staple. The beef is hand carved on a daily basis as you walk in. The restaurant is small but fairly intimate. The wait staff are excellent and attentive. My wife had the goulash and was very impressed.. Our friends enjoyed their order as well. I would recommend it if you are in the buffalo area.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have been going to Schwabl's since I was a kid. Stopped by last night. Not too busy compared to normal. Our server was terrible. The beef didn't seem the same. Ordered med rare which it was but not as tender and flavorful as usual. Was going to order Tom & Jerry's but we just wanted to get the check and get out of there (which took much too long). No reason for such a slow server. None of the regular staff present. Very unhappy with the service.

1  Thank Lynn A
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Beef on what the heck is all the fuss about? I would not recommend making this a food mission. For starters the Tom and Jerry was delectably deliciously different like a cup full of Christmas, I mean holidays....The sandwich is highly overrated in my opinion, the bun way too salty, the beef was good a little overcooked but tender, the dip would be nice on the side, but the bun killed it. The sides were nice very authentic German potato salad, like my Oma makes. The oil and vinegar coleslaw was refreshing, pickled beets and crinkle cut french fries were typical. The restaurant is 175 years old so the atmosphere had a nice cosy feeling. I wouldn't recommend going out of my way. Adios Amigos!

1  Thank Senior_V