“Beautiful Hotel, comfortable stay”
Review of The Thayer Hotel

The Thayer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Point
new york
“Beautiful Hotel, comfortable stay”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

we stayed for one night. on the whole we had a wonderful time.
the room was comfortable (it was about the size of my apartment bedroom,), the bed was extremely comfortable, the air in the room was adjustable and worked properly.
the front desk team was friendly and helpful, the concierge team was not as helpful, or knowledgeable
My husband and I like to make plans last minute. We were taking the train from NYC to go to the Boscobal Shakespeare Festival and we figured we would use one of our apps to find us a economical, and nice. Although, the station we were at was 15 miles from the hotel, it came up as a possibility. All of the popular hotel apps we looked at quoted a price of $250 and up for this place. The other choices were either high hundreds or places rated with less than 3 stars. Before we book any hotel we like to go to the website to see the amenities and to make sure that the hotel apps are representing it appropriately. I noticed on the hotel website that they had a special package for those attending the Boscobal Shakespeare festival. I called them directly to inquire. The woman who answered did not know the answer and put me on hold, when she returned she informed me that the special was not available for that night. I asked if they had any rooms available, and she said yes, and quoted me the normal hotel overnight price of $174. Considering the prices we saw on the various hotel apps were almost $100 more I booked the one night stay directly through the hotel.
We asked if they had a car service, or shuttle that could pick us up from the train station, and they seemed annoyed at this request. After a few minutes they gave us a number to a car service that was about 25-30 miles from where we were. (when I called the number the hotel gave me, the car service thought we were crazy for calling, they were not even close to our location, or the hotel)
We got a number for a nearby car service, which brought us to the hotel after the show.
The hotel is located on the grounds of West Point. It was dark out when we got there, so we were not able to appreciate the full beauty. the interior was beautiful, well decorated and you felt like you were in a special place when walking in.
The front desk staff at checkin was friendly and cheery (it was almost 11pm when we got there). He was helpful, took the time to explain some important parts of our experience and stay, he offered us his name and asked us to call him if we needed anything.
the hallways were formal, not commercial. Our floor was filled with dedications to army officers, mostly by their families.
The temperature in the room was very comfortable upon entering. it was easy to adjust.
The wifi costs $9.95 (that is a negative)
they say that they have the food network, but when we were watching it, we noticed it was the cooking channel.
the bathroom was clean. the shower gel and conditioner were attached to the wall, so you can pump out as much as you needed.
the coffee maker was a KEURIG, definitely easier than making coffee using Mr. Coffee.
for those with Iphones, or Ipods they have an Ihome, clock which can serve as a charger for your device.
another negative was the location of outlets. We did not have iphones, so we had to plug in at the available outlets which were on located on the wall opposite the bed, and close to the floor.
I would have preferred accessible outlets on the desk or nighttable.
The rooms are equipped with this energy saving lighting that goes on when there is movement, and goes off after 15 minutes of non movement. (the front desk gave us directions as to how to disable this, so that in the middle of the night if either of us woke up the room lights would not all go on)
In the morning, we wanted to take the West Point tour (upon the recommendation of the front desk attendant), we called the concierge and all they could do was tell us what time the first tour was. (we went on tour, but I would have liked the concierge to have been more helpful in getting us a reservation on this tour)
The front desk gave us a late checkout with no hesitation and no extra cost.
After our tour, we needed to get a car service to get back to Boscobal, and again, there seemed to have been an issue. (although this time, the group was able to get a local taxi)-- I would have expected a hotel to be able to get car services easily, this seemed like a chore.
We had the opportunity to walk around and see the view, which was beautiful!!!
The hotel has several restaurants that serve meals, or muffins. (not included in cost)
All in all we really enjoyed our stay there.
If we were going again to the area for the night we would definitely consider staying there again. we would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank masin70
Carlys_Lemler, General Manager at The Thayer Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your enlightening review about your stay at The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point. We will take your comments to the respective departments for examination and preparation for improvements. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff graduates from Excellence Training and is required to re-attend every six months. These types of reviews help us improve our services to guests to ensure that they are receiving the most memorable stay possible. Over the past few years, The Thayer Hotel has updated both amenities and offerings. Our Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival Package offers exclusive arrangements for accommodations, priority seating to the show, and a VIP tour of Boscobel Home and Garden. Our Romantic Getaway Package offers a VIP shopping experience to Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets, two Frette designer robes, and luxury accommodations at The Thayer Hotel. During your next trip to the Hudson Valley area, we hope that you will have The Thayer Hotel in mind.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Reserved a two night stay at this hotel for my sons West Point R-day. first impressions, a magnificent Historical hotel nestled on the grounds of West Point with beautiful views of the Hudson River. Our room was moderately spacious,very clean with attention to detail. our beds were quite comfortable and any ambient noise from the outside was hardly noticed. my only complaint would be the lack of water pressure in the shower and a slow sink drain. all together though, from valet...to check in...to house service... and room service.... the staff was always pleasant and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for staying with us during such a monumental event in your son’s life and career. We are glad to hear your stay was satisfactory and our rooms accommodated you pleasantly. The Thayer Hotel was honored to be part of R-Day at Eisenhower Hall this year and enjoyed meeting the families of the Class of 2017 as they enter The United States Military Academy. As their journey begins, The Thayer Hotel is glad to provide accommodations to the families and loved ones. We hope to see you again next time you are at West Point.
Hollis, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a wedding and enjoyed our stay. We arrived early and were allowed to check in. The lady at the front desk was very honest and told us that our room had a nice view however, was close to the roof top club and the train ran right by the room. She offered to switch our room if we wanted. We decided to try it out, seeing we knew we would be up late any ways. The wedding was nice with good hord'ouerves the meal was yummy as well. I enjoyed the halibut a lot. We stayed until midnight and then went back to our rooms. We didn't hear the club at all, and we know that the wedding after party was there until 2am. Never hear a peep from them. We did hear the train go by starting at about 5am, I lost track of counting after about 10 times between then and 9:30am. Luckily we are heavy sleepers and it didn't bother us to much. If you are a light sleeper I would recommend taking the lady at the front desk up on her offer. We loved the bed, it was so comfortable, one of the best sleeps we have had.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point during such a celebration. You will always be greeted with a smile as you enter the hotel and our staff will seek to get you answers to your questions. Zulu Time Rooftop Bar and Lounge is quickly rising to be the Hudson Valley’s premier venue for high end night life and unforgettable social events. Our Executive Chef, Brian Aspell CEC, has been working very hard to create a menu that will cater to even the most particular pallets. We are glad that you we not bothered by the Zulu Time excitement and the train running by the historical station. Please think of The Thayer Hotel next time you are visiting.
Fresh Meadows, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal for a weekend stay at The Thayer Hotel. I paid $159 + tax for a Saturday night King size bed room. Its cheaper than the standard price.

It matches the description, it is a historic hotel which is full of characters. The decor is very classy and you can see the military photos everywhere, even the hallways to the rooms. The staffs are very friendly and knowledgeable. They answered every single question without hesitation.

What really turn me off is the room that I stayed. Although the front desk already warned me (yes, I totally admit that this is my own fault), my room is facing the train track with a gorgeous view. Even though the train is not running often, its noisy enough to wake me up in the middle of the night and early morning. The interesting part is the hotel even provides the ear plugs for this side of the room, which is very thoughtful, but does not compensate the annoying part. As I only stayed for one night, I did not request to change room. But do want to warn those who is very sensitive with noise, TAKE THE ADVICE FROM FRONT DESK, do not stay at the river side view room. You will regret.

Another surprising disappointment is I found the bedding is very old although its clean. I see holes on many pillow cases. There's also stains on the sofa.

Its pretty quiet within the neighborhood of the hotel. I believe its because its literally within walking distance of West Point Military School. We had our dinner at Schades Restaurant which is 2 blocks outside the Thayer Hotel gate. The food is okay but the waitresses are amazingly friendly. The price is reasonable as well. We also had the brunch in the Hotel's restaurant (and I forgot the name already). Again, staffs are very very nice but the food selection is just average. With such price tag, I don't think it worth it. After the brunch, don't forget to take some photos at the patio dining area, it has a very nice view!

With the price that I paid, I found it acceptable but if I would need to pay for the full price...guess not.

Room Tip: River side rooms have gorgeous view but extremely noisy when train passes by!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your informative review of your stay at The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point. The hotel is a living museum and history hangs on every wall and in each corner. The military photographs offer in-depth lessons on various aspects of The United States Military Academy and the graduates that have risen to the top. Zulu Time Rooftop Bar and Lounge is creating lots of buzz and offers live music on Thursday and Friday nights. With this, our Front Desk staff makes sure guests are aware that there may be excitement coming from that venue. Zulu Time offers signature drink specials, exclusively The Double Tap, that is comprised of your choice of liquor, a beer chaser, and souvenir cup and t-shirt. In addition, Zulu Time offers breathtaking views of the Hudson River. Come enjoy a refreshing meal and drink during your next stay.
Hershey, PA, USA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed at the Thayer for the umpteenth time last week; short notice (funeral). Were nice enough to allow me military rate. Rooms much improved over the past few years; breakfast buffet still C+ at best: dessicated eggs, underdone breakfast meats. Service was cordial but too many tables for too few servers. Bottom line: improving, but still has a way to go.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the Zulu Lounge unless you like staying up late.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point appreciates your review and we send our condolences for your loss. New management of the hotel, whom are graduates of The United States Military Academy, inspires the Thayer Team to exceed the expectations of our guests. When we miss the mark, we take it very seriously. We apologize that your dining experience was less than extraordinary and will bring this to the attention of our team. We provide Excellence Training to our staff and each player on our team is mandated to graduate this course. We wish to welcome you back to The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point to show you our improvements.
DC
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our room was a glorified holiday inn - nice sheets and a decent bed but otherwise in need of a full renovation. The food at the hotel was HORRENDOUS. Do not eat there if you can help it. We had microwaved crab cakes (soggy) and hard-as-a-rock chicken swimming in gelatinous gravy. The wine list was ridiculous (charging 4 to 5 times the market cost of average wines).

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor river view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
The Historic Thayer Hotel always aims for excellence and we are terribly disappointed when our guests have a less than satisfactory experience. We will take these comments to our kitchen for review and a plan of action to implement improvements. We apologize that you caught us on one of our less than perfect days. Our execution has won our main dining outlet, MacArthur’s Riverview Restaurant, the honor of “Best Brunch in the Hudson Valley” for twelve years running. We hope to have you back to The Thayer Hotel to show you we can execute in our dining and services.
philadelphia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at the Thayer for a 100th Birthday Celebration that was hosted at the Thayer. We drove up from Philadelphia and arrived prior to check-in (as the party started at 2pm). Kaitlyn at the front desk was fabulous. At first we were unable to check in (and thus get ready for the party) but Kaitlyn moved some things around and found us a room in a matter of minutes. The food, service and accommadtions were all great. The only down side is the noise level at the bar at night. It is a fun scene but ask for a room on the other side of the Hotel if you are a lite sleeper.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point to celebrate such a memorable birthday. Our Front Desk staff is devoted to providing quality information and guest fulfillment. We combine modern amenities and renovated rooms with the history and charm that the hotel was built on. Our dining outlets: MacArthur’s Riverview Restaurant, General Patton’s Tavern, and Rooftop Bar and Lounge, Zulu Time, boast culinary creations and views of the Hudson River. Our Executive Chef, Brian Aspell CEC, is a graduate of The Culinary Institute of America and is putting a new spin on The Thayer Hotel dining experience. We hope you will think of The Thayer Hotel for your next celebration or event.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Point
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
West Point Motel
West Point Motel
#1 of 2 in Highland Falls

Been to The Thayer Hotel? Share your experiences!