“Great historic hotel with fantastic views”
Review of The Thayer Hotel

The Thayer Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Point
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Can't say enough positive things about the Thayer. I was picking up my kid from camp at West Point and spent the night at this historic property. I had never been to West Point before and had no idea what to expect. The staff was very professional and friendly. The food was excellent. My room was very comfortable and quiet. The property sits on a bluff overlooking the Hudson River. I strongly recommend having a cocktail on the rooftop Zulu lounge to fully soak in the amazing views. From check-in to check out, I cannot think of a single flaw in my hotel experience and would strongly recommend staying at the Thayer if you are anywhere near the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
ThayerWestPoint, Public Relations Manager at The Thayer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

We are so happy to hear that your first experience with The Thayer Hotel was a memorable one. The Thayer Hotel has been exquisitely renovated and we are pleased to hear that the hard work helped you enjoy your time at West Point. We are thrilled you were able to experience the amazing rooftop views at Zulu Time Lounge.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great experience from start to finish. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room looked to be recently updated. TV, lighting and iHome were state of the art. Bed was really comfortable, loads of pillows. We loved the food at MacArthur's restaurant. Be sure to make reservations to get a table with the best view of the Hudson River. We were treated to quite the floor show when a full moon rose over the mountains. PS, the red velvet cake was great, not your mother's red velvet cake but a treat for both the eyes and mouth. Truly decadent!

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience and the photos from your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed the beauty of our location on the Hudson River and are thrilled you experienced the best of what we have to offer. We hope that you will join us again in the near future.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Thayer Hotel is an absolute gem. The setting, the service, the history are incredible. Treat yourself, loved ones or your office to an unforgetable trip to West Point. The Zulu Time rooftop lounge has incredible views and the dining room buffets will exceed you expectations. Be sure to stop by the bar and watch some sports or news or engage in some great conversation with the bartender! Whether it is for your personal enjoyment as it was for me; or business/team building/corporate events, or perhaps an unforgettable chapter in your life (wedding/bar mitzvah/anniversary, this is a perfect destination.
I gave Location 4/5 only so you are aware this beautiful remote location requires a tad bit of extra transporation from the airport - but hey, it just adds a little "planes, trains, and automobiles" to your bucket list and once you are there you realize many of the best things in life come with a bit of extra effort! Enjoy!

Room Tip: The new corporate suites are beautiful and private!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ypmaven
Carlys_Lemler, General Manager at The Thayer Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

We are very proud of our hotel and are thrilled that you experienced the best of what we have to offer. Thank you for taking the time to highlight how our historic hotel has such a diverse appeal: whether celebrating a special occasion, or using one of our state of the art conference spaces, we strive to blend excellent service with the unique grandeur of our hotel and location on West Point. We hope that you will come back to visit this hidden jewel soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 2 day stay at The Thayer pursuant to a Groupon offer we received a week or two ago. I had visited West Point as a kid many years ago and had often remarked to my wife that we ought to visit there sometime. The Groupon offer spurred us to do so. I'm not sure what our expectations were, but they were greatly exceeded. The staff could not have been nicer, and the food and service in MacArthur's and the Zulu Lounge were terrific. The breakfast buffet is first class. We were fortunate to eat every meal outside enjoying the view of the Hudson River. The location on the Military Academy campus is also very cool. We enjoyed a free concert by the West Point Band in Eisenhower Hall after dinner the first evening at the suggestion of one of the staff members. We also enjoyed walking around the campus itself and seeing the great views of the Hudson Valley from Trophy Point after taking a formal tour from the Visitor Center. We also spent about 5 hours hiking in Bear Mountain State Park, about 4 miles south of West Point .... lots of trails to choose from. In short, there is a lot to do, and The Thayer is in the middle of it all.

Room Tip: Higher floors on the Hudson River side offer great views. Our room was on the 2nd floor and looked...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Historic Thayer Hotel. We are very proud that our hotel boasts a beautiful location along the Hudson, blending tradition with the modern luxuries and comforts travelers can enjoy. The Thayer Hotel has been exquisitely re-renovated and we are pleased to hear that the hard work helped you to enjoy a weekend getaway. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us - we appreciate and use your feedback to congratulate our team.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Thayer is fine as a three star hotel but no way would I classify it as "Luxury" as their description or price would lead you to believe. The staff was very nice and polite but do not ask for help or advice with local attractions or even West Point tours, they will direct you to the West Point Welcome Center in town.
If you are "lucky" enough to get a room facing the river don't forget your ear plugs. There's a train station across the river and it's active throughout the night.
Do NOT get a room on the fifth floor. The a/c units on the roof shake the walls and beds. (the maintenance person told me it's always like that, so why don't they fix it?).
We had two fire alarms during our two nights stay and had to evacuate. The first time during a strong thunderstorm and had to wait outside getting wet for 20 minutes before the fire department showed up. The second at 3am. Both were false alarms (luckily).
Breakfast was very basic for a "Luxury" hotel. I was not here for the Sunday Brunch.
I think the hotel would have been ok had I not paid such a high price and had I not expected a "luxury Hotel".

Room Tip: Do Not get a room on fifth floor. If you don't want to hear a train whistle throughout the night...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate your input and apologize that our staff did not inform you of the train noise. We have notified our Director of Guest Services who will be using your feedback as a case-study in our upcoming Service Excellence training for our Front Desk staff. We are sorry you did not receive the level of luxury you deserve but we hope you’ll give us another try.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Much improved since our last visit a couple of years ago. Loved the new valet parking. Easy, early check-in, pleasant staff. Immaculate room and bathroom, wonderful view of the Hudson river. Bed extremely comfortable as were the fluffy pillows. Guestbook in room was nice touch. The rooms are now dedicated to military personnel, including framed photos which were interesting. Keurig coffeemaker new to bathroom and coffee available all day in lobby. We had the seafood buffet on Friday evening, excellent array of delicious dishes and nice wait staff. Visited the new Zulu (outdoor) lounge and enjoyed a glass of their house wine (complimentary with online coupon), pleasant music and large screen tv's. Had the breakfast buffet on Saturday, a good variety including smoked salmon, sweet honeydew, eggs, and typical breakfast meats. Only drawback was one 2 slice toaster.

Room Tip: 4th floor room overlooking the Hudson, quiet, great view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vincent M

Thank you for the superior review and wonderful comments. Through The Thayer Hotel’s Room Dedication Program, each of our 151 guest rooms will eventually be dedicated to an inspirational leader of character: each room will feature a West Point graduate who has been instrumental in shaping the history of America and the world. In those rooms, there are framed photos that were personally selected by the honoree (or his or her family), and we are happy that you were able to stay in one of th rooms that have already been dedicated. We are so glad that you decided to give The Thayer Hotel another try and even more pleased that you had so much fun with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My two teenagers and I spent 2 nights here while visiting West Point. The hotel is quite historical and very formal. We felt out of place in our jeans but not a big deal. Here are my observations:
1. Well maintained and excellent location. You must pass through a check point and show ID.
2. The front desk staff was curt but efficient. Out of all the hotels I stayed in NY the staff here was not overly friendly.
3. I parked in the lot below the hotel and it was a short uphill hike to the property. On the day I arrived it was raining and it was nice they had a van to drive us to the property.
4. We stayed in the executive suites which was recently renovated. Upon entering the nicely spacious room (I believe a king bed and a sofa couch in the front room) the smell of paint was overwhelming. I am sure over time the smell will diminish. The bathroom was also spacious.
5. Both phones in the room and the refrigerator were not working. I should have complained when I discovered these items were not working but I just told them when I checked out.
6. The restaurant was very good and attentive and friendly staff.
7. One reason I would never return is the fact that in each bedroom there is a fire/smoke detector on the ceiling that when the lights are off it appears there is a strobe light in your room! Hard to fall asleep with those little lights blinking in the dark (had to cover my head with a pillow!!!!). It must be a state law because I observed other hotels in NY having similar detectors but since they were on the wall I was able to conceal the light with a small towel.

Room Tip: Executive Suites are the newest rooms and are spacious .
1  Thank LuvSDenvirons

We are glad that you enjoyed the beauty of our location and that our restaurant staff gave you great, friendly service. We are sorry that the phones and refrigerator were not working: we are committed to resolving maintenance issues immediately, and quickly fixed the telephones after you notified us. We have a policy of keeping the refrigerators unplugged when the room is unoccupied (one of our efforts to reduce energy use in the hotel), and have since verified that when plugged in, the refrigerator in the room you stayed in does work. We are working with our Front Desk team to ensure that every guest is warmly welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Point
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
Hampton Inn Harriman Woodbury
#1 of 2 in Central Valley
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peekskill - Hudson Valley

Been to The Thayer Hotel? Share your experiences!