My two teenagers and I spent 2 nights here while visiting West Point. The hotel is quite historical and very formal. We felt out of place in our jeans but not a big deal. Here are my observations:
1. Well maintained and excellent location. You must pass through a check point and show ID.
2. The front desk staff was curt but efficient. Out of all the hotels I stayed in NY the staff here was not overly friendly.
3. I parked in the lot below the hotel and it was a short uphill hike to the property. On the day I arrived it was raining and it was nice they had a van to drive us to the property.
4. We stayed in the executive suites which was recently renovated. Upon entering the nicely spacious room (I believe a king bed and a sofa couch in the front room) the smell of paint was overwhelming. I am sure over time the smell will diminish. The bathroom was also spacious.
5. Both phones in the room and the refrigerator were not working. I should have complained when I discovered these items were not working but I just told them when I checked out.
6. The restaurant was very good and attentive and friendly staff.
7. One reason I would never return is the fact that in each bedroom there is a fire/smoke detector on the ceiling that when the lights are off it appears there is a strobe light in your room! Hard to fall asleep with those little lights blinking in the dark (had to cover my head with a pillow!!!!). It must be a state law because I observed other hotels in NY having similar detectors but since they were on the wall I was able to conceal the light with a small towel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As one of the most unique addresses in the world, The Historic Thayer Hotel at West Point has been a celebrated part of American history since 1926. The Thayer Hotel at West Point consists of 151 luxurious guest rooms with 23 recently renovated executive suites and 10 elegant venues for meetings, weddings and special events. The Thayer Hotel offers a perfect home base for amazing group itineraries in the historic Hudson River Valley with a plethora of nearby attractions, cultural institutions, historical landmarks and award-winning dining options at MacArthur's Riverview Restaurant, General Patton's Tavern, and Zulu Time Rooftop Bar and Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your The Thayer Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thayer Hotel West Point