“Seafood and Sunday Brunch Delightful”

MacArthur's Riverview Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
MacArthur's Riverview Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in West Point
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Oradell, New Jersey
“Seafood and Sunday Brunch Delightful”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent the weekend at the Thayer Hotel as a gift from our kids. We started Friday night off with the Seafood Buffet which was wonderful. I love seafood and was in heaven with the choices. Normally I am a 2 plate girl at buffets but this time I went back for a 3rd plate. Everything fresh, tasty and plenty of it. Our waitress was constantly coming by asking us what she can do for us and the hostess Maria was wonderful and accomadating. We had the buffet breakfast the next morning which was very good too but nothing was as good as the Sunday Brunch. We didn't know where to start. It had everything from breakfast foods to dinner foods. I could barely walk out the door when I was done. The nicest thing was we were greeted with a big hug and a good morning by our hostess Maria. It was like visiting an old friend. Mimosas were flowing and I didn't want to leave. For me the restaruant made my weekend.

• Visited January 2014

Marco Island, Florida
“thanksgiving day buffet, well worth it!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

wow, I read some of the other trip advisor reviews and was apprehensive about going there with my wife for the thanksgiving day buffet. As you can tell by the number of reviews I have written, we are well traveled and stay/eat at upscale locations.

Overall, we had a very fine experience at Thayer hotel restaurant. I must say that we are not buffet fans but we were alone for thanksgiving this year and decided to give this place a try. It has been a cold and windy today and driving up to the mountains along the hudson river was delightful. As soon as entered the hotel, we were greeted by a doorman and directed into the lobby with a rip roaring fire on… nice touch. We had a noon reservation and were seated before our time. we were seated at a lovely table with a good view of the river below the cliffs.

When I looked at the top of the TA page, there was a picture of a mound of shrimp. The real thing looked exactly the same. A huge pile of x-large/jumbo shrimp along with a fruit and veggie bar. Good start. The place was packed but there was very little wait for any of the serving table items inc. carved beef and turkey. They also served creamed onions that were excellent. Overall, given the crowds and the day, I would rate the food as very good. Now as far as the service goes, everyone from the manager to the assistants did an A+ job of running things smoothly. our server kelly s. (#220) was attentive and very pleasant. She improved the experience more than the food and location. I’m sure she would have rather been home with her family, but she was smiling and happy and was there when we needed her without being obtrusive. Good job young lady!

Overall, the cost of the buffet, two glasses of wine, tax (8%, thank god I do not live in NYS) and tip came to $130. We liked everything and would recommend it but promised each other that next thanksgiving, we will be eating at the ritz-carlton in naples, florida. WAY TO GO THAYER RESTAURANT!

PS.. hey guys, the comment card should not have a plastic coating on it...impossible to write on..

• Visited November 2013
new york suburb
“UGH!!!!”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We decided to try the Hotel Thayer for Thanksgiving Dinner. It was a horrible experience. We were the first table seated for the 3pm dinner, and many of the food stations had empty trays. We mentioned to the staff that many of the items were empty. They remained empty throughout the evening. The wait staff were amazingly lazy!!! We were asked when we sat down if we wanted a drink. We said yes, and the waiter asked if we planned on having a second drink later on. What kind of a question is that? Give me a chance to have my first drink before asking me if i "planned on" having another. Seems he just wanted to make one trip to the bar for us for the whole evening. Also, after we finished eating the bland dinner, the waitress told me to hang onto my silverware since you would need it to eat your dessert. Really?? My fork had mashed potato and gravy stuck on it. Again, the waitstaff was too lazy to switch out our silverware. I had to use a fork to stir my coffee. It has been about 15 years since we were here and now we remember why we didn't go back. Never ever again.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank kennyuncle
Marietta, Georgia
“Very poor”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We and lunch upon arrival at the hotel. We were virtually ignored, and the food was not good. We had the breakfast buffet next morning because service was too slow. Would never recommend it.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Laura P
Holmes, New York, United States
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife does not like sea food and she said the sea food was great.
We visited during a football game and there was no one there. It was a cool environment and the ambiance of being near the Hudson was great.

• Visited August 2013