“Lovely hotel in beautiful grounds”

Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Barrhead
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Great looking hotel in quiet and peaceful grounds.The gardens were lovely. I slept well in a clean room although the shower wasn't great. Breakfast was served quickly and efficiently and was absolutely perfect. I can't comment on other meals as I was only booked in for B&B but everything went smoothly and I've no complaints. Wifi connection was fine.

There are newer reviews for Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2014

We loved the situation and gardens and the 'Old Country Manor Ambience' was great - along with the tartan carpet and the ornate Victorian radiator! The bathroom and shower was OK but when I tried to dry my long hair I discovered the power of the supplied hairdryer was reminiscent of a Baby's Breath! It took 1 1/2 hours dry my hair! This is no exaggeration. It normally takes about 10-15 minutes. Hence we missed an evening meal.
Breakfast was passable and the staff were lovely and friendly - as were the other guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a decent hairdryer!!
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Had booked this hotel for 4 night , but changed hotels after the first night.

Room very poorly decorated and strong smell of stale smoke and fried food coming from the kitchen extractor fans.

The mattress on the bed must of been about 100 years old all lumps & bumps so very poor night’s sleep.

Offered a room with a Spa bath which didn’t work

Wi-Fi was more like using dialup very slow once you finally managed to get access.

Food was completely uneatable , I suspect the only two cooking equipment available the chef was a microwave & fryer!!! For breakfast I tried the smoked haddock, well might as well emptied the salt pot into my mouth it was so salty & very over cooked.

Room Tip: Book a diffent hotel !!!!!
1  Thank Ian J
Reviewed August 23, 2014

Went to this hotel with a group of mourners .Very disappointing when the grieving widow asked to be seated with the family and was told that there were a couple of seats at another table 3 at another table When the Manager was told there were more people to come he walked away Then 15 minutes later when others arrived had to set another table The service with exception of the barman was appalling tea/coffee was served about 20 minutes after the party was seated My wife asked for a one shot latte and was told the Hotel did not have a machine to make latte (4 star hotel no coffee making facilities) When food ran out on the tables and more was asked for the staff reluctantly brought some after waiting another 10 minutes I do not image me returning to this establishment

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We stayed for one night in August 2014.

I booked the hotel as the last night of our Scotland holiday and it was supposed to be a bit of comfort after three days in a log cabin on the Isle of Mull. Sadly it did not quite work out that way. I paid extra for a room with a garden view and a jet tub.

The hotel was really nice on arrival. A lovely old building. The room was equally nice and included bathrobes (dressing gowns), chocolates and a bowl of fresh fruit. They were excellent touches and we were very pleased by them. This is where they hotel peaked.

I ran the bath, which took about 30 minutes due to the terrible water pressure in the room. The water pressure was so low (to the bath, not to the sink or the toilet) that it made having a shower virtually impossible as it was not power assisted. Once filled I tried the jet tub and it would not start. I rung reception who were very helpful and came to the room and pressed the 'trip switch' on the wall and it the jet tub ran for one cycle. At the end of the cycle it would not start again and had tripped out. Pressing the trip switch activated the jet tub for decreasing periods from about 10 seconds before it stopped working all together. At this point I gave it up as a bad job.

Breakfast is served between 8:30 and 9:30. We arrived for breakfast just before 9:10 to find approximately 7 tables seated. We chose one of the only tables that were partly set for breakfast, it was only set for one person. We were not acknowledged on entering for breakfast by the staff who were working and 25 minutes later we had not had our breakfast order, table set or been acknowledged. Another couple which had gone down for breakfast approximately 10 minutes earlier were still sat awaiting the same. They had got up an asked for menus but this had not instigated any service from the staff. At 9:30, which was technically the end of breakfast we reported to reception that we wished to complain and for a refund. The lady, who was very pleasant enquired as to why and then apologised and gave us a full refund. Which we were pleased about and thought that was good service. We still left without being offered any breakfast and supplemented ourselves at the local Weatherspoons in Paisley, which I can recommend.

The hotel is a really nice building, set in pleasant grounds, with some lovely rooms and excellent touches but it didn't deliver what was expected, including any breakfast. We were left disappointed as the hotel has so much more potential. Maybe it was just a bad day or week, I hope it was, if it wasn't, these issues need correcting urgently.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We booked here for three nights and on arrival were totally won over by how lovely the building is - ivy clad entrance and lovely gardens. The entrance hall and the lounge off it were beautiful. We found our room no problem - old fashioned and full of character - dark wood, thick red curtains and little lampshades over the wall lights :) It is a 'country house', after all.

We had our evening meal in the bistro - we have simple tastes and so the soup and scampi/haddock and chips suited us fine. The barman/waiter was lovely.
The breakfasts on our three mornings were the typical ingredients - juice, cereal, toast, cooked breakfast and coffee. It was very nice to be served the cooked breakfast rather than queue for the self-serve buffet as with so many hotels.

Just a couple of niggles but the first one is kind f excusable - the very creaky floorboards in the corridor outside the bedroom. It IS an old house and to be fair, if people didn't stamp down the corridor at midnight and later it wouldn't be so bad! LOL
The bed was a little too hard for my wife but that's all a matter of taste. It was OK for me.
What spoiled our first night (Tuesday), however, was the man in the next room who went to bed early at 9.30 and rose at 6.30. He was evidently a businessman and had an early start. The problem was that he woke me up at 6.30 just going around his room and that was after snoring extremely loudly for a whole hour the previous night from 9.30. The wall was so thin I could hear every single breath he took! Thankfully he only stayed that 1 night and the next person didn't have his problem - and neither did we!! I don't know what the hotel could do, but it was not good having to listen to loud snoring.

The wifi was terrible - it worked on our phones but not a laptop. The management did know about it and tried to help.

The staff were all very, very helpful and friendly and the extra noises aside, we had a lovely relaxed time and I'm sure we would return here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the far end of the corridor so other people don't walk past your door on th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Hi, I booked into the Dalmeny Park on the 30th of July for a night before flying off to Vegas on the 31st for my Husbands 50th. This was right in the middle of the Commonwealth games and we wanted to avoid the maddening crowd and relax before rushing to the airport. Upon arrival first impressions were very good, lovely grounds and lovely old building which looked like a hidden treasure considering it was so near the motorway and Glasgow. We asked to be moved to another room with a bath if one was available and this was no issue to the guy at reception. The 'upgraded' room smelled musty and bit of toilet blocks but we opened the window and agreed that as we were not going to be there long we could suffer it, we then immediately went to the bar to start our holiday in style. The bar staff were lovely and very helpful and after a few drinks we decided to head to bed. This was about 12 midnight. The toilet in the room is separate from the actual bathroom so I headed off to run a bath while my Husband went to use the loo. On hearing his gasp's I followed him to find that the toilet seat that he had lifted up resembled silence of the lambs where some unfortunate guest before us had obviously had a heavy period (I hope, either that a murder had been committed in that room) and the house staff had not cleaned it - see photo's. I took a photo and went to reception where the night porter looked suitably disgusted and said I should talk to the duty Manager in the morning. I ended up having to use various balancing techniques to do a pee as there were no staff on the clean it and I was definitely not tackling it myself. Next morning the duty manager was not on shift and the receptionist was very helpful and again appalled that it had not been cleaned and took my number and my email address for the manager when he came on duty. I was told that if I was en-route to my holiday by the time he came in she would get him to email me for my return. Once in Vegas I did pick up a voice mail simply stating ' I apologise for your stay last night, please call me on your return'...eh...no! It's your responsibility to keep me happy not the other way round. No emails either and no follow up calls and I have been home for two weeks now.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tricia M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrhead
Parklands Hotel & Country Club
Burnhouse Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burnhouse
Lynnhurst Hotel
#1 of 1 in Johnstone

Been to Dalmeny Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!