“Worst dinner ever”

On Fire
Cuisines: Pizza, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Come and relax in our beach front location. Live music every night, savoury pizzas, tasty cocktails, a truly multi sensorial experience
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Took a group of 8 out for dinner service was so bad some got dinner over an hour before the rest of our group would not recommend at all

1  Thank Domstaa

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Got here at 5.30 after being told we couldn't reserve a table and got sat on a table next to one that said reserved. We ordered 7 out of 8 drinks arrived quite quickly then came the wait for dinner. Beef nachos came out after 10 mins wow we are impressed followed about 15 mins later by the chowder and 15 mins later by garlic bread. 30 minutes later we ask where the rest of the mains are and was told a 25 min wait for the pizzas. It's now 7pm so s 2 hour wait. We are a group of 8 with 5 young children the whole order was mains including the garlic bread so we ate in relays.

1  Thank Pholly
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We spent five nights in Whitianga and ended up spending most of them at On Fire, which was just across the road from our apartment. We loved the wonderful view, fabulous atmosphere with a Balinese feel and the tasty, reasonable food and drinks. Great pizzas made in the outdoor pizza oven. The staff were so attentive and lovely to deal with. They were happy to make the vegetable salad vegan, which I had three times- very tasty! The owner kindly set up snail racing for the children- a fun activity for them to take part in. We feel that On Fire made our stay in Whitianga a memorable one!

1  Thank lailbale
Reviewed April 7, 2014

On Fire looks lovely inside and out :) perhaps we were there on an 'off night'. The kitchen couldn't keep up, they were trying someone new on front of house. The orders got jumbled up and lost. And oh my gosh, the energy in there was very negative. I'm surprised we stayed as long as we did, but we wanted pizza. Which was quite good. We even had staff comment on how poor things were running. They weren't angry or anything, just fed up I think. We had looked forward to live Jazz, but what we experienced was weird. We get the concept, but with the amount of negativity we were trying to fight off, it was difficult to feel anything else. It was a let down really, all round. People in front of us, who seemed to know that Jazz band (perhaps friends or partners of), were arguing a lot and about whose pizza was who's because of the mess up. This place could be so much better. I would say we definately won't go back there, but it will be a different day when we go, so I will hold space and hope things have improved. There is always opportunity for improvement, I really hope they take it, so we can enjoy it next time :) Oh and DO NOT GET THE SELF SAUCING BUTTERSCOTCH PUDDING THING!! It really seemed to just be Aunty bettys steamed pudding slapped in a dish and icecream dumped on it! What the heck! There was no effort to even disguise the fact that it was crappy. We tried to save the experience by having dessert, but it was really very bad. Please try harder guys. I can give you some recipes if you want! :) Seriously. The service was average, as the staff were stressed. It they weren't stressed, I am sure that it would have been much better :) I hope to give a better rating next time. If I can get my partner through the door again that is.

1  Thank BexLovesRich
Reviewed April 6, 2014

On fire in Whitianga has, among other things, THE best view of ALL the dining and entertainment options in Whitianga. The relaxed, fun, cool and funky deck is the perfect setting any time of day. Couple this with incredible Pizza and a great choice of drinks and snacks and its a must visit if youre in Whitianga or the Coromandel area, actually near impossible to drive past without stopping on a sunny day if you fancy a cold beer and a pizza.
Its also really really nice to get away from the repeat DJ's and top forty offerings of some of towns other venues and enjoy some live performance you wont find elsewhere in town.
Highly recommend this place!!