“Spacious and relaxing”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Whitianga
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Spacious and relaxing”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We decided to end our trip to New Zealand with a week to relax on the Coromandel peninsula. We had briefly stayed in the area on a previous visit and decided that Whitianga would be the best place to stay to explore the top end of the peninsula. The i-site pointed us in the direction of The Admiralty saying it had been recently refurbished. We were actually given the disabled accommodation which had a particularly spacious bathroom with a walk in shower and bathrobes. The rest of the accommodation was equally spacious and comprised a separate bedroom with king-sized bed, a kitchen area with fridge/freezer, microwave, cooker and plenty of cutlery/crockery for four people. Tea, coffee and milk were supplied and replenished daily. Breakfast is available if required but we did not have this, preferring to visit the local supermarket and stock up for ourselves. There was also a large lounge, big enough to accommodate two single beds as well as two sofas and a coffee table. This was especially useful as we had enough luggage for a long trip so were able to store it out of the way. A flat screen tv had Sky channels and free Wi-Fi is also available. We were on the ground floor with easy access to the pool and a private terrace where we had our breakfast. The building faces east so gets the morning sun but unfortunately this disappears by mid-afternoon and it can feel quite chilly. However the sun remains in the pool area until quite late.
The apartment was serviced daily with sheets and towels replaced regularly. The staff were very efficient, friendly and helpful. There are mountain bikes to borrow for a ride along the sea front opposite the motel and spades to use at Hot Water Beach.
This was the first time we have ever stayed in a motel, having stayed in B&Bs and homestays previously. We were very impressed with the accommodation and will definitely consider staying in motels on any future visit to NZ. The only downside to The Admiralty is its position right on the side of the road into town, so there can be quite a lot of traffic noise. However, the foliage and pool area provide a certain amount of privacy.
Whitianga is a fairly decent-sized town offering plenty of daytime activities and places to eat. It is within easy reach of Coromandel Town and Hot Water Beach and travelling along the 309 road is an experience in itself.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms have a better sea view but are smaller studio rooms. The ground floor rooms a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret252

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We were in Whitianga for a family occasion and only stayed the one night in the disabled room at the Admiralty Lodge, but found it to be a very pleasant stay.
We had a disabled room because I have difficulty walking and at times (more often that not these days) need the use of a wheelchair.
The room was easy to get into with the chair (there were appropriate ramps from the carpark), and certainly fine to navigate around. If I wanted to go onto the deck at the front, there was a slight problem with being able to do so. Lucky I was able to use my crutches to get me there, as I know we would not have been able to take the wheelchair over the lip of the doorway, so not too good there. As a side note, the beautiful view of Buffalo Beach is almost totally blocked by a silly palm tree that has been planted right in the middle of your view, so you had to look either left or right to see the ocean.
The bed was incredibly low to the floor, which would have been impossible for me to get off on my own, and very difficult even with the help of someone else. Fortunately, I had bought along my own little gadget, called a bed lever, which enabled me to get off.
The bathroom was adequate, although there was a lack of hand rails, there was one by the toilet and another by the shower, but nothing to help you get from one to the other. There was a rail by the washbasin, which was incredibly handy.
In the shower there is a tiny little wall mounted seat made of plastic, I didn't use this as being around 100kg, I felt that I would end up on the floor if I did, totally unsuitable, and frankly quite useless.
The toilet was of a good height for me (being 6 foot tall), but without a drop down rail on one side, still made it a bit of a challenge.
But all in all, I have stayed in quite a lot worse around the country, and if you are not a 6 foot, 100kg man, you will most likely have no problems. So I do recommend this motel to anyone that is disabled, it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My Husband surprised me by staying here for 2 nights. We had a spa suite, with a balcony and view. Upon arrival we had chocolate and champagne.
The views were amazing, and it felt nice and private. The staff were most helpful and assisted us with bookings and things to do in the area. If you have time, borrow the complementary bikes, it's a great way to get around. The pool was heated and most times we had the area to ourselves. Would recommend to Anyone!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarah j
admiraltylodge, Manager at Admiralty Lodge Motel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and biking around beautiful town. I hope you will come back and stay with us on your next trip to Whitianga.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed January 23, 2014

It pays to shop around. We have stayed at other '5 Star' accommodation in Whitianga which were alot nicer, the staff more friendlier, and the rooms much cheaper than the Admiralty Lodge.

The rooms were spacious and clean but they didn't feel very private. The leather couch was slippery, uncomfortable and hard, and the beds were way too soft!

The bathroom was located in the middle of the apartment so had no external windows. The room fogged up rather fast upon showering, and the condensation lingered for ages due to poor ventilation.

As far as word of mouth would go, I wouldn't recommend the Admiralty Lodge to anyone.

Room Tip: Shop around. There are nicer "5 Star" places in town that cost alot less than Admiralty Lo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crash2012
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The Star rating is provided by Qualmark, based on their strict guidelines and annual audits. I am not aware of any other 5 Star accommodation in Whitianga, except there are some B&B's and that is a different playing field.

In regards to the condensation in the bathroom, this is the first time I have heard about it, each bathroom has a exhaust fan which runs for an additional time even after switching it off, in order to remove all moisture. I will have the maintenance people look in all the bathrooms for this issue. The condensation you may have felt could be due to high humidity, as we had some summer days where the humidity level was extremely high.

Unfortunately, the bed's softness/hardness is more of a personal preference. I do have rooms which have firm mattresses. Wish you had mentioned something during your stay and I would have been more than happy to relocate you to a room with a firm mattress.

It will be great if you could let me know the staff issues so I can discuss it with them and improve upon, we always strive to improve and enhance the guest experience.

Once again, I apologize for the issues you had.
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Our room was very comfortable & the unit was fully stocked with all comforts of home. We had no noise issues & even the putt-putt (9th hole) outside our backdoor didn't affect us. There was 1 couple who played that night, but they were quiet & we had a calm, relaxing evening. The view was nice, but not close to the water. It's beyond the highway which is in front of the Motel. It was close to everything you would need & even though it was right on a major highway, we were not bothered at all! Management was very polite & helpful, too! Great place to stay while in the area!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LUVU2MUCH
Thank you for your review and kind comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a wonderful time. Whitianga is a great place to visit and thank you for choosing to stay with us. If your travel plans bring you to this area, I hope you will choose us again.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Before I explain why I have scored this motel so badly I will first start by saying that the facilities are good and the rooms were modern and clean. However, the motel building is clearly cheaply built. This is reflected in the fact that when the neighbouring unit turns their shower on the noise is so loud that it is like you are actually in the shower yourself. This would not normally be too bad, unless of course the people in the neighbouring unit decide to start showering at 10:30pm and do not finish until after 1am (with only a few moments of peace when I assume they were getting dirty again). The motel did not provide any contact number for the manager and knocking on their door was unproductive. When the manager was informed the next day he seemed disinterested at best. I would suggest you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 104 and the noise from the plumbing was incredible.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew H
I am extremely sorry to hear about your experience at the lodge and thank you for bringing it to my attention that morning. I believe the water noise you heard was from the Spabath being used late at night from the unit above yours and I can understand the frustration.

I apologize if you felt that I was disinterested in listening to your concern. I do care about my customers and want them to have a comfortable stay. I hope you wont judge us too harshly with this unpleasant issue.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were on honeymoon trip and were very much pleased with this hotel. We had studio suite with spa bath. The views were amazing from room of the beach and the sunrise view was amazing. The staff was also extremely helpful.

Room Tip: Go for the studio suite with spa bath
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nss4646
Thank you for your kind comments and it is great that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us on your honeymoon trip. I hope you enjoyed rest of the New Zealand trip, as it has a lot to offer.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during a special time in your life.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
#3 of 18 in Whitianga
Oceans Resort Whitianga
Oceans Resort Whitianga
#2 of 18 in Whitianga

Been to Admiralty Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!