“Breathtaking scenery and superb service”
Review of Twin Oaks Riding Ranch - CLOSED

Twin Oaks Riding Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: 900 acre sheep & beef property, 100 acres of native bush. Also on the property, horses, deer, goats & pigs. Beautiful streams and pockets of bush. Awesome views
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My wife and I visited the north Island as a part of our honeymoon during mid-June. We only had a few days in New Zealand before continuing to our next destination so we wanted to make the most of it with the limited time available. We wanted to ride somewhere in the Coromandel and we are SO happy that we found this gem of a place. It was one of our greatest highlights!

The owner, Andrea, was professional and super friendly and made this an amazing experience for us. We were fortunate to hit great weather that let out the full colors of their paradise of a ranch! We went uphill to a peak that overlooked Mercury Bay to the east and Whangapoua Harbour to the west. WOW! On the way back we stopped by a fresh water stream, tasty and beautiful! In case you go there during the winter time, as we did, I suggest an afternoon ride in order to avoid early morning cold weather. Our weather was perfect! The ride lasted around 2 hours.

Oh, and if all that weren't enough, at the end of the ride I've noticed that, clumsily, I must have lost my sunglasses somewhere during the ride. Not a big deal but just a little disappointing. Andrea, the owner, took note of it, and against all odds found my shades the next day and shipped them back to our home, back in the US! Maybe it's just the Kiwi culture :) but we were left dazzled.

2  Thank JonoJono

Reviewed June 4, 2012

My 11 year old daughter and I set out to ride as much as we could in NZ. Not knowing what to expect for trails, horses and guides in NZ vs. US we booked at Twin Oaks. Upon arrival the horses looked extremely healthy and well cared for (sorry to say that is not the case in the USA) The guide was very nice and pleasant. the ride up through the country side was amazing. As we had riding experience - we were allowed to run the horses to the top of the highest hill and the panoramic view was amazing. I would NOT recommend beginner riders asking for an advanced horse or to run - they are beautiful, strong and responsive horses that know what they are doing - not like the nose to tail nags in the USA. So worth the ride we went back and did it again the next day - this time bringing my 84 year old father along for a special Birthday Ride. All the riding we did in NZ was great but this was one of our favorites. Thanks for making it a great ride "Eagle" I wish I could have hooked a trailer to the plane and brought you home. (there is a bathroom but you not really a public one... really rough "but any port in a storm")

1  Thank MidwestTravelBug
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very relaxed trek with happy, healthy horses and a great guide. The scenery was fantastic from the summit of the trek - some great photo opportunities! We were lucky enough to see a family of wild pigs wander through the native bush just ahead of us, and we had arranged a stop mid-trek for a picnic, which was beside a waterfall - we had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this attraction

1  Thank serenesea