“Excellent food in a good setting”

Salt Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 57 Restaurants in Whitianga
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Waters edge dining in beautiful Whitianga serving European style food using only the best local ingredients. Whether it's a quiet cocktail on the deck accompanied by a bar snack, or a full dining experience, Salt will cater for your needs. Call us today for a booking. OPEN 7 DAYS FROM 11.30AM
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Was very surprised to read some recent poor reviews of Salt as our experience was very good.
The menu has recently changed and has a wide range of dishes. We had steak and venison and both were superbly cooked and presented, with amazing flavours. We were quite surprised to find such quality in a fairly small town.
The waiting staff were very friendly and attentive. It was apparently our waitress's first day, but she was efficient and helpful so we wouldn't have known.
Well worth a visit if you are looking for a gourmet dinner ($50+ pp for 2 courses to give an idea of prices, but well worth it)

There are newer reviews for Salt Bar and Restaurant

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I live in San Francisco--a great place for dining. I was on vacation in Whitianga and was recommended to Salt from the innkeepers at Wairua Lodge. What a disaster! I came in at 5:45 alone and the restaurant was nearly empty (some people in bar, none in dining room). The girl said without reservations I could be seated if I promised to leave no later than 7:15; she then walked away. A different hostess said I could dine in the bar but there was no service and I had to go and stand up to the bar. Yet a different girl asked me what I wanted. I ordered a cocktail from a fourth person! I went outside and sat down at a table on the veranda and my cocktail came. The young guy dropped in on the table without a word--no napkin either--walking away leaving half of my cocktail spilled over the table. I got up and left.

All of the staff that I encountered were young, rude and more interested in talking with each other. Perhaps tipping is a good thing afterall. They couldn't care less about seating me, helping me to stay at their restaurant and have a good experience, dumping a cocktail all over the table, etc. Why go here when it is absolutely nothing special?

I drove over to Luke's Kitchen and was treated kindly and had great food.

2  Thank Natalie F
Phoenix36, Owner at Salt Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

We are far from the personal insults that this reviewer finds it ok to hurl. We certainly do employ young people but they are all extremely professional in how they deal with any customer. I was involved in this whole encounter and I found the reviewer to be incredibly rude and most difficult to deal with. But life in a busy restaurant is not always smooth sailing and we deal with a whole host of customers. I was the 'young man' (thanks heaps on that one - i'm 39!) and I delivered the cocktail to the customer and I certainly would never spill it. After all, the customer pays good money for these beautiful drinks and I would never want them to waste a drop. As for the different waitresses, everyone was just making sure that she was alright and being looked after as she seemed to have some inner difficulties to attend to...

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Being fairly new to the Coromandel Peninsula and being more of a meat and potatoes kind of person, it took a lot of effort to convince me to accept a business lunch invitation to Salt, Whitianga. A great sunny day on the deck overlooking the Whitianga marina, attentive service and a superb steak sandwich with thick hand cut fries (what else) made it a memorable experience, to the point where I felt compelled to write my first ever review. Especially the pleasant smoky aftertaste lingering in my mouth after each bite of the steak will be hard to forget. I will be back, for dinner with my wife, to have the grain fed scotch fillet (with a side of fries, of course).

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Have dined here many times before and again we had a fabulous experience.
Our overseas friends were blown away by the standard of food and service for such a small town.
Lovely atmosphere, friendly professional staff and the setting is 'picture postcard'.
(Try the Pork Belly!! Melts in your mouth!!)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Did not have all the menu items even though we were led to believe they did prior to seating. Poor to inaccurate description of food. Poor service. Would not recommend it. Poor value for your money.

2  Thank Seaskyski

Apologies but as explained by the waitress we were in between menus changing from our winter to summer and only a couple of items were not available. This was made very clear. This is extremely rare and it would have been fairer if this was taken into account. The two reviews from this day appear to be from the same table as everyone else this evening were full of the usual praise for both the food and the service.