“Run down campground with poor facilities”

Whitianga Campground
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The cabin we stayed in was grotty, and uncomfortable. There was no toilet roll holder or soap in the bathroom. The shower was has a 5 minute limit which is hard for those with long hair.

But for what we paid I guess you can't ask for much. In hindsight I would definitely pay more to stay at a more decent place.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kiwi_Emz
Grant J, Manager at Whitianga Campground, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

We accept that the cabin may not be as clean as it should have been in November, as we hadn't finished our spring cleaning through all our cabins, in readiness for Xmas holidays
Most guests seem to be happy with a 5 minute shower, I recall when 3 minutes was the norm
Our toilet blocks now have soap or liquid soap
Regards

Manager

Reviewed March 31, 2013

this place leaves a bad taste in the mouth. as a visitor in new zealand the bad attitude of the owner is a bad example of kiwi hospitality.
- toilets dirty, disgusting, wet, unclean
- cockroaches in the kitchen
- freezer and fridge have not been cleaned for a long time
- cowboy owner

Room Tip: don't go here
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Aria S
Grant J, Owner at Whitianga Campground, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

2 guests turned up with a dog, for a 2 night stay in a tent, and agreed to be sited at the rear of the campground, as dogs can be a problem for other guests
The next morning I received a phone call from them complaining about some other campers.
They said that they would be leaving if the campers stayed another night
Their booking was for 1 night only, but before I could confirm this I received a text from the guests advising that they had left and requesting a refund
Our cancellation policy is clearly displayed in our office along with our after hours number, which the guests should have used to contact me the previous night, to deal with any issue that might have had .
I spoke to our regular campers, none of whom had any complaints regarding noise
Our ablutions are cleaned daily, sometimes twice a day over the busy period , we have been making a special effort this year to make the campground look more park like. and have had alot of positive feedback

Reviewed March 30, 2013

If you're someone traveling with your family, friends, or partner and looking for a quiet holiday campground to sit back and enjoy nature, then this place is NOT for you.

First of all, the manager or owner or whatever he is named Grant does not reply to email inquiries regarding booking (umm, if you don't want our money as clients then close down your business!); the toilets are not clean and it was wet and nasty. Obviously no one maintains them; the kitchen had no dishwashing liquid and a bunch of items for cooking are unavailable (not even a damn can opener); and most of all no one supervises the campground to ensure the comfort and safety of other campers.

My partner and I rented a $20/night campground vis-a-vis the cabins and were looking forward to a quiet holiday free from the noise of the city. We lead highly stressful lives with our jobs and it was a welcome holiday for us be offline from technology. Lo and behold, there were three tents at the other end of the camp occupied by around six guys and two girls (a mix of local Kiwis and some Brits) who took it upon themselves to blast music from their car until 1AM loud enough to wake up the dead. Goodbye soothing sound of crickets, leaves swaying, and nature, and hello to bad hip hop selections, thrashiness, inebriation, screaming, and super loud conversations until 3AM! Those campers were loud, obnoxious, and VERY DRUNK and we didn't want to create a scene by going up to them. As two women, we feared for our safety especially from drunk guys who are strangers. We also didn't get to sleep (and we weren't alone as my partner heard a male guest saying he was unable to sleep because of the noise). The drive back to the city was 3 hours with some very treacherous and narrow winding roads.

No one monitors the camp and when I spoke to Grant the next day to explain the incident, he wasn't very receptive and hung up on me! I wasn't rude but he sure the hell was! I called again (twice at different times) and it just rang and went to voicemail. I sent him a text message asking regarding a refund (we paid for two nights and only stayed for one because of the drunk and disorderly campers) and never got a reply. GRANT IS RUDE AND HAS NO UNDERSTANDING OF GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. WHAT A CRAPPY PLACE TO STAY IN! If I was a tourist and new to New Zealand, I would have left with a very bad impression of the country and wouldn't return.

AVOID WHITIANGA CAMPGROUND. Your money is better spent somewhere else with nicer people and a safer place. The only redeeming factor is a nice old woman named Dawn who lives near the manager's office. If this incident was a one-off then we'll be more understanding if management explained and apologized, but the lack of any good service from management only proves how this place is not worth support from a good clientele.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank newyorkbikecommuter

this review is from the same neurotic guests who have posted the review above, treacherous roads - really ?

Reviewed January 20, 2013

It was tidy and looked to have just had a paint and carpet. The sheets and blankets were old which wasnt very inviting, milk in a jug rather than a sealed bottle. Tea coffee and sugar in containers which im not sure how long they were there for. The shower was very low pressure. Tv only had one channel. Coffee cups were stained.

Everything else was fine, we slept well, we had a toilet in our unit which was good.
Enough plugs to use hairdryers etc. Mirrors were well lit.

If u were camping it would be great i think but we were just passing through

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chonnni
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the family cabin with 3 kids and 2 adults it was clean and tidy everything worked staff were friendly and chatie all and all a great stay kids loved the atmosphere of the campground going to play with t other kids in the grounds

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We arrived to find a queue of people waiting. They told us that the owner had 'lost their booking' and they had been waiting for an hour. He'd wandered off to check his computer 30 minutes ago and eventually reappeared eating the last of his sandwich! We couldn't believe he had left us standing there while he had his lunch! And it was all downhill from there. I'd had a conversation with him and he agreed to book 2 cabins for us on receipt of my email, and he responded telling us to bring sheets and pillows. So there we were 8 people in peak holiday season with him telling us that we didn't have a booking. He kept referring us to other places with vacancies that had nothing when we called them. It was like a scene with Basil Fawlty. My advice is to avoid this campground, there are much better ones in Whitianga anyway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Louise B

As I recall this guest arrived from Australia, there had been email correspondence, but she hadn't paid the deposit, and unfortunately we were unable to accommodate her.
I did my best to find alternative accommodation
Our hours at out by 10am and in after 2pm and if you arrive in between those hours it is quite likley you may find me having my lunch.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Not worth the money useless you manage to get a VERY special price on an accommodation website which might make it worthwhile for 1 night.

Toilets smell and are chronically wet
Spiders in rooms
Old, dirty facilities and tv's barely work.

Also wifi is archaic and useless

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank cramcus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Hahei Holiday Resort
#12 of 25 in Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
#1 of 18 in Whitianga

Been to Whitianga Campground? Share your experiences!