All reviews bath house fire pit glow worms outdoor bath swimming hole native forest spa pool hidden paradise walking trails waterfall walk hosts debbie magical place great escape communal kitchen get away from it all gravel road homemade bread
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed in the River Desck Suite July 2009 - I know I know, a bit late writing this review but oh well!
My husband and I eloped and the following weekend we decided to stay here for a few nights. We absolutly loved the location of Wairua Lodge. The gentle sounds of the river at night was lovely, and the bathhouse was a highlight.
Being that we stayed here in the middle of winter, the smell of the wooden walls was glorious and the rooms were nice and cosy warm. We feasted on apple and rhubarb pie with lots of warm custard! Yum.
Were thinking about coming back to stay again for our 3rd wedding anniversary this winter too!

Room tip: River Deck Suite for sure!
Date of stay: July 2011
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Staying at the Wairua Lodge was truly a unique and amazing experience. I admit I had my doubts when my we turned down the gravel road that led to the lodge after four hours of driving. But once we arrived, I knew I made the right choice booking this place. The owner greeted my husband and I and showed us around the property and to our king snug room. The room was very cosy, but had everything we needed. The property is huge and gorgeous with hiking trails, swimming holes, and two outdoor jucuzzi tubs for guests to use. The owners seemed to be prepared for all the guests' needs with information on local attractions, maps of hiking trails on the property, water shoes for guests to use, and even buckets and shovels for the Hot Water Beach.

After a long drive, we decided to spend a few hours exploring the property and walked along one of the nature trails to the top of the hill overlooking the lodge. When we got to the top, there were beautiful views of the lodge and surrounding areas. This somehow turned into a much longer hike than expected as we encountered a waterfall on our trip down and had to climb down it using the rope provided! It was quite challenging, but we had a lot of fun! We also had a great time swimming in the swimming hole and swinging from the rope swing. The outdoor jucuzzi tub was a perfect way to relax at the end of our very active day.

The room was very comfortable for the our two night stay. We left the door open most of the time and enjoyed the outdoor sounds at night. While warm during the day, there was plenty of cool air at night and I slept really well with the fresh air coming in. In addition, we were told that the elevation prevented mosquitos and other bugs from invading the property, which was great. While there was no cable TV, our room had a DVD player and there were plenty of DVD movies to borrow during our stay. There was also a grill outside our room and we enjoyed cooking dinner one night and just relaxing with wine on the patio. Breakfast was simple, but definitely a sufficient amount of food. It included bread, fruit, yogurt, granola, and cereal. The owners delivered it the night before so we were able to eat at our convenience.

The lodge is about 15 minutes by car from Whitianga, so it was easy to get to town to visit the restaurants and shops. Whitianga was a really cute town with plenty of activity and we enjoyed walking around there. We also visited Cathedral Cove and the Hot Water Beach during our stay and loved them both! However, when we returned to the Wairua Lodge each night, it felt completely isolated and peaceful. It was a really nice change from the other larger hotels we visited during our New Zealand trip. Of course, we tried the treetop bathhouse, which was just as amazing as it looks in the photos.

Overall, I loved the time I spent at the Wairua Lodge. It was a rare combination of nature and luxury. The owners did an amazing job with the property and clearly care about their guests. They were friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We enoyed our time here so much that we recommended it to other travelers we met later in our trip. While we stayed in many nice places in New Zealand, this was our favorite because it was such a unique and special experience. I would highly recommend the Wairua Lodge to anyone visiting the Coromandel Peninsula!

Date of stay: February 2012
Reviewed March 20, 2012

After much searching on the internet and reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to spend a night at Wairua Lodge in January. As other reviews have said, the setting in the valley is amazing - beautiful, not far from the town/beaches, and a good base to explore the Coromandel. The owners are also really helpful and have thought of so many special touches such as the bean bags, outdoor bath, dvd selection etc. However, the big disappointment was the standard of the room. While clean, it was quite basic. There were also spiders in the bathroom - not something we expected from accommodation getting 5* reviews. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would probably go back, but if you're expecting 5* standard (as is implied by many of the reviews), then you will be disappointed.

Date of stay: January 2012
4  Thank Itchy_English_Feet
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed the last 5 days of our NZ trip here. Tam and Charles are wonderful hosts. They have a superb eye for detail. (e.g. fridge in cupboard so that you don't wake up listening to a humming sound.) The location is perfect. The kitchen facility was as cozy as one can dream of. The rooms and beds were good. The only place we stayed at with good reading lights in bed. The shower, always very important, was excellent. For us it was the icing on the cake after 4 weeks in NZ. In fact this Lodge , its surroundings, and its hosts resemble paradise! We met three honeymoning couples. For us it was like a honeymoon all over. Don't miss it!!!!!

Edo and Mieke

Room tip: all rooms are good!
Date of stay: March 2012
Reviewed March 11, 2012

After searching the internet for weeks I found the Wairua Lodge. I am very fussy about accommodation and am always looking for just the perfect spot. This trip was extra special as it was our Honeymoon and luckily for us we chose to stay here. Talk about magic.
The property exceeded my expectations and Tam and Charles were incredible hosts. We loved it so much we stayed an extra night!
If you like the outdoors you will feel right at home here, the views are to die for, there is a little outdoor fire that Charles prepared for us and pointed us in the right direction when we needed extra wood. The treetop bath was spectacular and the swimming holes by the river are amazing and a great place to relax with a book in the hammock.
Worth a drive is the Mussell Kitchen on the 309 road, the mussells were to die for. If we had gone there earlier in our trip I am sure we would have gone back for seconds.
All in all an amazing break away, great hosts and all in a spectacular setting

Room tip: The river deck suite has its own full kitchen and is perfect if you are wanting a bit more privacy
Date of stay: March 2012