“A better backpackers”

On the Beach Backpackers & Lodge
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My friend and I stayed here at the end of April 2013 and loved it. The 4 bed dorm we stayed in, shared a large lounge and brilliantly equipped kitchen with a double room and a twin room (that were empty during our stay). We could really make the most of the clean kitchen and then sit out on the balcony that overlooked the sea for our meals! The accommodation was cleaned daily.
The staff were so helpful and were always on hand for advice or to book tours. I would recommend cathedral cove tours, a 5 hour minibus tour of the local area with time to spend at gorgeous cathedral cove and hot water beach.
The local town is an easy, flat walk away, following the coast line.
A lovely, relaxing stay thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in Feb 2013 for 2 nights. The hostel is in a perfect location right on the beach, you won't miss it either with the brightly painted exterior! We checked into a private double room, which shared a kitchen, living area and bathroom with another room, much like a 2 bedroom apartment. This was good, but you do feel as if you are on holiday with another couple who you don't know! The decor is 'homely', comfortable but potentially in need of an update. The staff were friendly and helpful, and are able to provide spades for hot water beach (with a $20 deposit). Whitianga is a quiet place with a very relaxed feel. There are a few bars and restaurants, the wild hog bar and restaurant was good for a drink after a hard day's walking around Cathedral cove.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Staff was very helpful and very friendly. The house that I stayed in was extremely clean and cozy. The kitchen was well stocked and the living area was warm and inviting. The layout was different compared to other hostels I had stayed in, but by no means was it a bad thing. I really enjoyed the way everything was set up and it gave the hostel a more homey/apartment feel to it. The location is right in front of the beach and about a fifteen minute walk to the ferry and town. It was easy to get around the area, even without a car. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Right in front of the beach shore. Good value, had a private room, not the best bed ever but it made the work. Is nicely decorated all over and there are kayaks, boards and beach towels to use. Also there is wifi internet for two bucks and in-property parking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2013

There are 3 houses for the hostel - one for the larger (sleep 10) dorms and the others with double and twin rooms as well as dorms for 4 people. "My" house had two floors and a kitchen on each floor -on my first night, I shared the apartment with another couple and on my second night I had the whole area for myself, which was really nice. Kitchen and bathrooms were very clean and cleaned every day. There was a TV and DVD player and you can get DVDs from the hostel office for a deposit - nice for spending a quiet night in or watching a movie together with other backpackers. You also get beach towels and spades for hot water beach, as well as free Kayaks.
I spent one evening in the house with the larger dorm - it would have been too crowded for my liking, but that's why I booked a double room.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Be aware that this is a BBH hostel as well as YHA associated - so book directly to get the discount and not via booking.com or the like.
The beach is really nice, though there are much nicer ones in the vicinity, which feel more lonely (take the ferry to ferry landing and walk to the beaches).
I wouldn't recommend the i-Site in Whitianga, they were almost rude to me (I booked a shuttle there and when asked where I lived I gave the address of the hostel which got me a stern stare and a "No, where do you LIVE?" - sorry for not being a native speaker, I thought). Plus, they always get 10% commission when they book sth for you - they have to earn money as well, but the shuttles are already pretty cheap and I think the companies should get the total, so I'll book directly next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This gem set on one of the most beautiful beaches in New Zealand surprised us with how spacious the accommodation was. in the case of the private rooms at least, it was more of a shared apartment scenario than a hostel-style layout, with one kitchen/lounge between two rooms. Furthermore, the staff were friendly, and the free kayaks and shovels etc. are just more reasons why this was one of the best hostel/backpackers we stayed at in NZ.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Free shovels for Hot Water Beach, friendly staff, walking distance to town and right across from the beach! The only thing it's missing is free wifi.

The double rooms are great because you share slicing room, kitchen and bathroom with only two other people!

• Stayed: February 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitianga
Beachside Resort Whitianga
Hahei Holiday Resort
Tatahi Lodge Motel
Tatahi Lodge Motel
#1 of 6 in Hahei

Been to On the Beach Backpackers & Lodge? Share your experiences!