“Wow”
Review of Cape Lodge

Cape Lodge
Reviewed March 14, 2009

Well this place was out of this world. It is a small boutique hotel that has won numerous awards. We had a huge spa in our room that was surrounded by glass overlooking the King bed. The restaurant was top notch, the room service amazing, the breakfast incredible and all the little extras are what made it. They offer afternoon tea in the guest lounge, you can have your pick of dvd's and games. There is amazing scenery and the sounds of silence with birds whistling and no civilisation in sight. Surrounded by bush but close to the beach, an amazing wonderful memorable trip.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Strawberrylover81

Reviewed February 19, 2009

Having stayed at Cape Lodge two years ago we returned to find it better than ever. There is now one of the most tasteful, clean swimming pools we know of....set in the beautiful surrounding of the immaculately maintained Cape Lodge gardens. The service remains the best of any where we know...friendly, professional, warm and discrete. The breakfasts continue to be world class. The dinners too continue to be world class standard overseen by the passionately enthusiastic Head Chef Tony with his splendid team who choreograph the service to perfection. The dining room stayff are some of the most attentive and good humoured in the whole of Australia. As with all rave reports I hesitate as we may not be able to get in next year!!! We have modelled our breakasts dinners and our service here at Millgate House on the high standards set by Cape Lodge a bench mark for the industry. Forget the carping remarks about price... we have a saying in Yorkshire..."Ye don't get out for nout!"... Cape Lodge comes for my money as close to perfection as you can get this side of paradise...one of the most relaxing places we ever stay...Wonderful!

2  Thank AUSTIN l
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Cape Lodge is to Die For.

We spent three nights here recently for our honeymoon and loved it.

From the super service when we booked to the very end it was superb.

When we booked the lady (I wish I could remember names) asked if we wanted other services, talked about room types to help us choose what room, booking in our restaurant times etc

So the room - Room 1 - was awesome. It is in the main reception area which may be a slight downfall as others in more secluded in separate buildings - but it is very quiet and the room is huge. It has a separate sitting room and TV; two bathrooms; HUGE bedroom, amazing spa etc. Highly recommended. You are also near the business room (internet access) and the communal lounge room (with an array of books, DVD's and scrummy muffins each day) which is handy.

The restaurant - as per all the other reviews - is to die for. The service is amazing... It is all round amazing but in particular an example is when I booked to stay I mentioned I was vegetarian. That was the only time I mentioned it. So when we sat down in the restaurant they handed us each a menu - mine was vego only. Love that. The service and food was amazing as well as the decor and outlook.

We were fortunate to go to a 'chefs cooking tips' session (Tony/Cape Lodge run them monthly) which you should try to go to. We spent two hours with Tony (head chef) and a fellow colleague and he gave us cooking tips, talked us through his menu's (which change daily) and made some food with him! We went through the kitchen etc as well. Really fun - and all over cheese and wine!

We also had inroom massages which Cape Lodge organised for us. Really reasonably priced ($115 for 90 minutes) for hotel based massages - and half the price of the next place we stayed.

This is now equal favourite for my husband and I for indulgent weekends away (pity we live in Canberra and cant just fly over for a weekend) - up with Lilianfels in the Blue Mountains.

Treat yourself.

3  Thank Laura0576
Reviewed January 12, 2009

What a wonderful, peaceful boutique hotel. I enjoyed every moment of my stay, and would love to move in if possible! We stayed for 3 days in a Superior Spa Room (No. 18) which I would highly recommend.

After reading previous reviews, it is pleasing to note that management have listened to guest feedback. Bath salts are now complimentary (how bizarre that this was not the case before?!), an assortment of chic magazines and reading material was provided in the room, and most importantly, there is now a fabulous pool on site. From looking through past reviewers photos, the outdoor furniture appears to have been replaced in the bar/lounge area of the restaurant and it now befitting of its style.

Small touches such as complimentary afternoon tea and wine tasting each day were appreciated. The lounge area in the main lodge is a wonderful space to read, have a coffee and delight in the view. The grounds really are stunning.

I found the food at Cape Lodge to be sublime, and breakfast each morning was lovely. The staff are professional, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. It is such a pleasure to find excellent service. We had dinner in the restaurant one evening, and I am still having dreams about the king prawns and creme brulee that came my way.

The Margaret River wine region is one of my favourite places in the world. We have stayed at both Quay West Bunker Bay and Empire Retreat recently, and thought it couldn't get better than Empire. I think I may be wrong!

3  Thank dubliner100
Reviewed January 7, 2009

It's hard to imagine a better combination of elements than you find at Cape Lodge in Yallingup, Western Australia.

Majestic Tuscan style rooms set in a Cathedral of Karri trees.
I crave peace and quiet, and whilst I quite like children, I don't enjoy the "Lord of the Flies" enthusiasm they can muster, on my rare and precious holidays. Peace was what I found here. The noisiest thing at Cape Lodge was a toss up between the frogs and the Black Cockatoos, both of which I adored listening to.
They miraculously knew when I wanted to hear them and for how long.
The food here has spoiled me for life, but the restaurant is the best, and I mean the best I have ever experienced. The subtle lighting, sparse number of tables, gorgeous view over the lake and right music at the right volume. I found myself staying at the table almost until the next sitting.
The Wine list is bursting with great wines from the region and the friendly and very knowledgeable staff were curiously nearly all french? Somehow, and the CIA would be fascinated to find out how, Cape Lodge has found a way remove the fiercely parochial Wine loyalty of a French person and replace it with a fierce loyalty for Margaret River Wines. Je ne sais pas?
In the restaurant is where you are likely to meet the extremely genial and debonair Drew Bernhardt, the General Manager,an intriguing mix of modern hotelier with old school manners trapped in the body of George Clooney. (My Wife's observation) He has the wonderful gift of making everyone feel welcome without intruding.

There is a very tasteful drawing room, almost as lovely as the restaurant, where staring at the view for 3 hours with a glass of red is nothing to be ashamed of.

The new swimming pool was essential as it was bakingly hot outside.I can't imagine how it existed without one before?
I can only surmise that a lot of people "fell into the Lake"

There is a large residence vaguely reminiscent of the Medici's made available for the likes of "Sting' and Arab Oil Sheiks. I did look longingly at it through the safety of some distant willows, hoping my wife didn't see it, sparking off a wallet wilting plan from which I may never recover.

My only regret is that I had to leave and that it has created an unreasonably high benchmark for spoiling my wife in the future.

3  Thank beautifullymad
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We booked two Garden Suites @$325/suite for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed Cape Lodge"s hospitality. The rooms were simply decorated and could do with more luxurious and charming furnishings and amenities (including fluffy towels, and gourmet coffee grinds!!!). We took a very pleasant walk early morning on the Property"s walking trail and proceeded straight into a warming and wholesome breakfast. Dinners on both nights were up to the high standards of the region but were far more enjoyable because of an excellent service crew and a small team of chefs which made the whole experience personal and welcoming. The tranquility of the small man-made lake is calming and we had all wished we could stay longer.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Wonderful hotel with excellent service and helpful staff. We stayed here 4 nights and were impressed with the location, rooms and restaurant. The food in the restaurant at Cape Lodge was probably better than food we ate in other restaurants in the area. A real highlight for us was the tour we had with Sean of the Margaret River Discovery Company which the staff at Cape Lodge recommended and organised for us. This tour enabled us to explore areas we would not have seen otherwise, canoe part of the Margaret River, lunch with at a private vineyard and appreciate some of the stunning coastal scenery from the Coastal Track.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolynr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yallingup
Pullman Bunker Bay Resort Margaret River Region
#1 of 13 in Yallingup
Empire Spa Retreat
Empire Spa Retreat
#2 of 12 in Yallingup

Been to Cape Lodge? Share your experiences!