“Fabulous Cape Lodge!”

Cape Lodge
perth, australia
“Fabulous Cape Lodge!”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

What a wonderful, peaceful boutique hotel. I enjoyed every moment of my stay, and would love to move in if possible! We stayed for 3 days in a Superior Spa Room (No. 18) which I would highly recommend.

After reading previous reviews, it is pleasing to note that management have listened to guest feedback. Bath salts are now complimentary (how bizarre that this was not the case before?!), an assortment of chic magazines and reading material was provided in the room, and most importantly, there is now a fabulous pool on site. From looking through past reviewers photos, the outdoor furniture appears to have been replaced in the bar/lounge area of the restaurant and it now befitting of its style.

Small touches such as complimentary afternoon tea and wine tasting each day were appreciated. The lounge area in the main lodge is a wonderful space to read, have a coffee and delight in the view. The grounds really are stunning.

I found the food at Cape Lodge to be sublime, and breakfast each morning was lovely. The staff are professional, knowledgeable and unobtrusive. It is such a pleasure to find excellent service. We had dinner in the restaurant one evening, and I am still having dreams about the king prawns and creme brulee that came my way.

The Margaret River wine region is one of my favourite places in the world. We have stayed at both Quay West Bunker Bay and Empire Retreat recently, and thought it couldn't get better than Empire. I think I may be wrong!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dubliner100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Sydney
Reviewed January 7, 2009

It's hard to imagine a better combination of elements than you find at Cape Lodge in Yallingup, Western Australia.

Majestic Tuscan style rooms set in a Cathedral of Karri trees.
I crave peace and quiet, and whilst I quite like children, I don't enjoy the "Lord of the Flies" enthusiasm they can muster, on my rare and precious holidays. Peace was what I found here. The noisiest thing at Cape Lodge was a toss up between the frogs and the Black Cockatoos, both of which I adored listening to.
They miraculously knew when I wanted to hear them and for how long.
The food here has spoiled me for life, but the restaurant is the best, and I mean the best I have ever experienced. The subtle lighting, sparse number of tables, gorgeous view over the lake and right music at the right volume. I found myself staying at the table almost until the next sitting.
The Wine list is bursting with great wines from the region and the friendly and very knowledgeable staff were curiously nearly all french? Somehow, and the CIA would be fascinated to find out how, Cape Lodge has found a way remove the fiercely parochial Wine loyalty of a French person and replace it with a fierce loyalty for Margaret River Wines. Je ne sais pas?
In the restaurant is where you are likely to meet the extremely genial and debonair Drew Bernhardt, the General Manager,an intriguing mix of modern hotelier with old school manners trapped in the body of George Clooney. (My Wife's observation) He has the wonderful gift of making everyone feel welcome without intruding.

There is a very tasteful drawing room, almost as lovely as the restaurant, where staring at the view for 3 hours with a glass of red is nothing to be ashamed of.

The new swimming pool was essential as it was bakingly hot outside.I can't imagine how it existed without one before?
I can only surmise that a lot of people "fell into the Lake"

There is a large residence vaguely reminiscent of the Medici's made available for the likes of "Sting' and Arab Oil Sheiks. I did look longingly at it through the safety of some distant willows, hoping my wife didn't see it, sparking off a wallet wilting plan from which I may never recover.

My only regret is that I had to leave and that it has created an unreasonably high benchmark for spoiling my wife in the future.

• Liked — Benchmark in luxury accomodation and the Peace and Quiet
  • Disliked — I had to leave eventually
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank beautifullymad
Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2008

We booked two Garden Suites @$325/suite for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed Cape Lodge"s hospitality. The rooms were simply decorated and could do with more luxurious and charming furnishings and amenities (including fluffy towels, and gourmet coffee grinds!!!). We took a very pleasant walk early morning on the Property"s walking trail and proceeded straight into a warming and wholesome breakfast. Dinners on both nights were up to the high standards of the region but were far more enjoyable because of an excellent service crew and a small team of chefs which made the whole experience personal and welcoming. The tranquility of the small man-made lake is calming and we had all wished we could stay longer.

• Liked — Sitting at the Bar looking out at the lake and watching the ducks swim
  • Disliked — The little touches in the suite which will make Cape Lodge a true luxury hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Wonderful hotel with excellent service and helpful staff. We stayed here 4 nights and were impressed with the location, rooms and restaurant. The food in the restaurant at Cape Lodge was probably better than food we ate in other restaurants in the area. A real highlight for us was the tour we had with Sean of the Margaret River Discovery Company which the staff at Cape Lodge recommended and organised for us. This tour enabled us to explore areas we would not have seen otherwise, canoe part of the Margaret River, lunch with at a private vineyard and appreciate some of the stunning coastal scenery from the Coastal Track.

• Liked — Spacious and quite
  • Disliked — noisy air conditioner/heater
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carolynr
Augusta, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2008

I was looking for somewhere that was very special as a gift for my husbands 60th Birthday. Cape Lodge was recommended by a dear friend who had stayed there for Christmas 2006.
The Hotel is very easy to find and it's in a great location to visit both the beautiful beaches of the area and the many excellent wineries.
The staff were so welcoming that we almost felt like we were family and the grounds of the Lodge (which is actually a small luxury hotel) are beautiful.
There is superb food available for fine dining in the Restaurant with an excellent wine list from which to choose a 'Birthday Toast".
To take advantage of being in the area for only a few days Mr Bernhardt, the Manager suggested we take a private Tour with the Margaret River Discovery Company. We are so glad we did as not only were we taken behind the scenes at a local winery, we also had an amazing picnic lunch in the winery Barrell Room and canoed the lovely Margaret River !
The whole visit was very relaxing and completely stress free which is exactly what I knew my husband would appreciate.
To celebrate a special milestone I can't think of anywhere nicer than Cape Lodge. Very Highly recommended.

• Liked — Everything, we couldn't fault it.
  • Disliked — Leaving it.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tigerlilyoz
Borneo
Reviewed June 21, 2008

Totally overated! What a disappointment! This is our third trip to Margaret River area and having stayed at Empire Retreat, Ron Roozens, Smiths Beach Resort, we decided that on this trip, we must stay at the top rated Cape Lodge and booked the Forest Spa Suite. After checking in, we were surprised that no one even offered to help us with our bags???!!!
The Forest Suite, although clean was an oversized colourless bland room with a view to an almost dried up lake! For a top end resort at A$500 a night, one would expect most amenities in the room plus some little surprising touches. But to our dismay, whatever amenities we found in the room was basic and everything was chargeable including the bath salt for the spa! Internet was not included and neither was drinking water.
To fuel our disappointment, when we ventured out to their haute cuisine restaurant, we were shocked to find that the grounds was totally dark (thank goodness for my mobile phone backlit). The food though is top notched!
For turndown, we got 2 miserable looking chocolate!
Is it surprising that we checked out the following morning? Next, definitely not Cape Lodge! Either back to Empire Retreat or the latest Injidup Spa Retreat!

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BorneoNomad
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2008

We came with high expectations and we were not disappointed...

The Forest Suite was huge, practical, clean and modern. The spa overlooking the (albeit man-made) lake was lovely as well.

Dinners at the restaurant were delicious. The staff knowledgeable and friendly - the shortage of staff at the WA hospitality sector was perhaps aptly addressed by importing staff from France! An extensive winelist with a great selection of local wine (although they could do better by the glass). And the cooked breakfast... yum....

Don't know if it's really worth the price and the hype? But I'll definitely come back.

PS. If you're coming by GPS at night, don't be surprised if the machine indicates you've arrived when you're in the middle of nowhere. Apparently they've mapped it wrong.

• Liked — Quality of rooms and food
  • Disliked — Hard to find at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Simao
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yallingup
Pullman Bunker Bay Resort Margaret River Region
#1 of 11 in Yallingup
Smiths Beach Resort
Smiths Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Yallingup

Been to Cape Lodge? Share your experiences!