“loving rottnest”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rottnest Lodge

Rottnest Lodge
“loving rottnest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

hi, just reading all the negative comments about rottnest lodge makes me sad. it is pricey but to be on the island is a very special treat. we have been going to rottnest, (2 adults, 2 kids) for many years now, unfortunatly we are unable to go into the ballot for accomodation for family reasons but when we need to go we need to go! we often swap accomodation circumstance over the nights we stay and we dont care its just so lovely to be there. we have stayed at nearly all the different accomodation available and have had a wonderful time, including the rottnest lodge. yes maybe the decor is a bit old but i would hate to see anything changed other then linens and bathrooms tweaked. we are so anxious things might change for the modern and worse in times to come, the fact all acccomodation is so basic gives a lovely feel of what used to be. the pilots cottage was the most beautiful place we stayed a big garden, fireplace chimney enlightened by beautiful lights hardly anything changed since the pilot lived there, i could live there till i die. barracks so exciting, so basic but original i lay in bed reading with my legs out the window thinking of the troops, exploring the mess hall sparrows and all thinking am i the only person whos been here in god knows how long....dong change it. it doesnt matter where we stay its all amazing and priced becauseof its exclusiveness if you want to go to rottnest dont complain. if there wasnt quokka poo everywhere in the morning i would be let down, its such a unique place, imagine staying in a safari park in africa and finding lion poo just outside your dwellings would it not make you so excited and tell your friends? the only problem we ever had was on our last trip a month ago we werent staying at the lodge but had dinner there, wonderful service lovely chats with staff but my husbands steak was overdone, no dramas it was quickly rectified and we had an amazing meal, much prefer this menu to the last, beautiful options. we are heading back in the next week to stay at goveners circle and then the lodge so excited, dont change too much rotto it even took me a while to adjust to the new clothes shop and general store renos but theyre lovely. cant wait to see you for dinner on the 11th at the lodge, reccommend rotto to everyone its such an amazing place and i hope when you see it you wont want it to change either.

Room Tip: if u want to stay at rotto you want to stay at rotto its all fantastic, take what you can or youll m...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rottnest Lodge for the week of 26 to 31st December and this was our third stay at the lodge.

The room did have a kitchen, which is something we had not asked for and initially pleased us.
However, the room was definitely sub-standard in many respects and the management did not seem to care much at all about our comments.

Upon raising our concerns, we were told that they were fully booked, which effectively meant our only option would have been to cancel our trip completely - not an exciting option!

The room cost $250 per night for two people, including breafast.

I understand that costs there are high, but for the standard of accomdation provided, this is rediculous (I paid US$138 for a nice double room at the four-star Boston Hilton in September).

When we complained about the standard of this room compared to others we have had previously (this was our third stay), we were offered excuses such as "it's heritage listed" - well, so is the rest of the complex and those rooms have been decorated and maintained. Our room had also been decorated, except in a tacky way and was neither well-cleaned or well-maintained.
We were also told that "the nicer rooms cost more" - our friends were staying in a very nice room in Palm Court and they paid the same price as we had.

Room 39 is located on the outside of the Rottnest Lodge, facing onto The Green.
This room and the ones alongside it are in practical terms, not part of the lodge.
The standard of decoration, facilities and comfort is totally different to the rest of the property.
The rooms are not airconditioned, but do have a fan. There are no insect screens on the windows, so unless you enjoy sharing your room with lots of mosquitos, then you have to sleep with the window closed, which can get a bit warm.
There is a screen door at the front, but this did not fit and accordingly let in the mozzies anyway.

The front of the room faces directly onto the road, which is used by some vehicles: police van, maintenance / delivery vehicles, ambulance and people, especially the latter and at closing time at the pub.

The room also faces directly onto The Green, which is popular and can be a bit of a late night gathering area.
So if you are seeking peace and quiet, this room is not ideal.....

The room was poorly furnished, poorly-maintained, dirty and housekeeping was seriously lacking.
In 5 days: we had 3 visits from housekeeping - total time 10 minutes.
On the 30th, housekeeping consisted on a pile of towels dumped by the front door.

My advice to the Karma Royal Group and their subsidiary Chakra Resorts who run The Rottnest Lodge, is to seriously lift their game.
The restaurant has improved, the wait staff and desk clerks tried hard.
But to have sub-standard rooms as part of the property is not smart, as it diminishes the standard of the whole venture.

My advice to anyone booking a stay at the lodge would be to get confirmation of the room number and check where this is located.
If it is one of the rooms on the outside of the lodge, I would suggest that you request another room, change your booking, or be prepared to put up with a stay which is a lower standard than you had anticipated.

Room Tip: My advice to anyone booking a stay at the lodge would be to get confirmation of the room number and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rottnest Island hotels

Fremantle, Western Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have to start by saying I love Rottnest, and we travel there every year. Will we stay at the lodge again? Yes, probably, so perhaps my complaints are wasted. We stay there because we want to be guaranteed of a booking and don't want to risk the ballot system at Christmas, but perhaps it's time to try the pub accommodation? It seems we return year after year to pay for poor service and substandard facilities. It seems to be the motto of this establishment.

To start, we booked two standard rooms in August. Realising by October I had no confirmation, I called to ensure we were booked in and was told we were in Deluxe rooms at an extra $60 per night each. NOT what we booked, but they were fully booked by this stage. The offer to reduce the cost of ONE of the rooms wasn't really compensation, the extra beds were wasted on us.

Our room had no movies on demand, the remote control was completely missing, but I expected nothing less and let this go. My father wasn't so happy!

At breakfast the first morning, there was no coffee. I was told the coffee machines were broken and they were 'waiting for someone on the mainland to come and fix them' ?? What the? It's a 30 minute ferry ride, send them over! The next day, miraculously the coffee machines were there with pots warming on them....until we discovered they were actually just for show, and were full of instant coffee and boiling water at varying degrees of warmth.

There was no yoghurt for fruit, half an hour after breakfast started, and the waitress told me they'd run out immediately. Really? There's a general store across the way. For $310 per night you can't pop out and get some more? Just about everything was running out at all three breakfasts we had....hot food, bread, juice, coffee....

On day two we waited until 4.30pm for our room to be cleaned. We were all waiting for showers and the kids had wanted to nap in there but the room was full of lunch dishes and desperately needed a clean out. I asked at least three times and was told, we will be five minutes. An hour of waiting around later it still wasn't done.

On our last night, we decided to treat our father to dinner at the Lodge, only to be told they couldn't do a table for 7 until 8.30, which was getting a bit late for the kids. The restaurant was practically empty, there were tables for two set up everywhere, so i pressed the issue and the waiter reluctantly agreed to give us a table in half an hour. I don't get it....it's better to turn a group away than put some tables together when you are hardly booked out?! We returned in half an hour, placed our order, then proceeded to wait one hour and fifteen minutes for our food!! We had three very tired children so they ended up eating well before us and having to sit there while we ate ours. Not at any point where we warned food would take this long or of course we'd have gone elsewhere. The food, when it came, was delicious. At a cost of $260 for four adults and three young kids, so it should be. No apologies, of course. This is Rotto....overcharge, underdeliver.

I've read the other reviews that speak of the Lodge being outdated and needing modernisation. I'm not even fussed by this. It's Rotto, it's casual, it's nice like that. But I agree that the charges are in line with something much more special, and if that isn't going to be offered by the facilities, it should at least be met by the service you receive.

Room Tip: Avoid the quad rooms! None are very special, but these are hotboxes.
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Rottnest is a beautiful island but does have very limited facilities. We stayed at the lodge as there was a good 3 for 2 mid week deal which made it a more affordable trip. The acommodation in a standard room is just that, there is not much of a view and you do hear all the noise from the pub it backs onto but it was clean and functional. The breakfast was a highlight and as a family we were all very happy with the selection on offer. If I was to return I certainly would never camp as the site is very poor in my opinion, I would possibly return to the lodge if the price was right but I would rather stay at either the hotel as it looked like it was of a high standard and is right on the beach or the accommodation at Geordie Bay as it looked nice and is again on the water front. Plus points of the lodge: toiletries and hairdryers are supplied along with an iron, fridge and coffee making facilitties (with teabags and coffee sachets), negative points 5 mins cycle to beach (everywhere else is on the beach), ice cold pool which kids were not impressed with, noise from bar till quite late.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are further from the bar so may be quieter.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Before booking our rooms, I called twice to inquire on how to accommodate for my 4 yr son and was told that he could sleep in our bed. I found out that there was a sofa bed one hour from checking out and they did not even told me.
We booked 3 premium lakeside rooms and some of the rooms did not even have table lamps. No bottled water in the fridge, only a small jug. Spiderwebs and dirty floor, no wifi.
On our first night, we decided to try Riva restaurant. We waited more than 1hr30 to get our mains.
Toppings on the pizzas were ridiculous. Some slices only had tomato base.
On our second night, we had to complain about the music in the governor bar and they only turned it off around midnight.
Overall, it's overpriced, poor quality and I will not go back there again.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Although the lodge doesn't have great views like the villas, it's right in the middle of the main town so close to everything. It's ideal for a night or two, but no longer. The villas are best if you're there for longer.

A lot of the rooms are in the old prison, and have been refurbished to a high standard that's fresh, clean, and perfect for coming off the beach all sandy and salty. The beds are comfortable and the service good, and of course you have the swimming pool! Although it's unheated and quite cold...but perfect in the heat of the summer.

I think it's quite pricey for what it is really, and it needs more modernising to be able to charge the prices it does.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose to stay at Rottnest Lodge overnight and took advantage of the package offered by the Rottnest ferry company which included breakfast. We booked a standard room and were extremely happy with how quiet and secluded the accommodation was, as well as the standard of the room itself. The lodge is an old building and we appreciated the ambience being kept with the tiled floors and shuttered windows. The bathroom was well appointed and spacious.

We had dinner at the Riva restaurant and the cocktails were excellent as was the pizza (recommended!). Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and we were very well fuelled for a long day of biking around the island. The service staff was courteous and helpful and we had a fantastic time! Heartily recommended for people wanting a bit of peace and old world charm at an island paradise!

Room Tip: The standard rooms seemed the best even though they are the cheapest because they are away from the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pier 21 Apartment Hotel
#3 of 7 in Fremantle
Hotel Rottnest
#2 of 4 in Rottnest Island

Been to Rottnest Lodge? Share your experiences!