“Lunch at hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Rottnest
liverpool
“Lunch at hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

Had fish and chips sitting in the shade in this beach front hotel. Delicious food, cold beer in beautiful surroundings. Portions are large, so it's worth sharing. Communal areas were well kept and attractive.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

New menu / chef have certainly lifted the food quality here, but it's still not up to what you are paying. Had good pork ribs (moist, falling off the bone) but very ordinary steak (dry, flavourless). Service is now good but lining up for ages to order food is so 1970s.. How about some table service or a more efficient ordering process?

A little over-priced but then this is Perth....

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ynperth
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

OK, this was our first stay on Rottnest Island so I can't claim to be an expert on the island accommodation. But we were more than happy with our choice of the Hotel Rottnest. If you only want to stay a couple of nights (and are beyond staying in youth hostels) then you only have two choices - the Hotel or the Lodge. Both are equally expensive, but based on reviews and photos we chose the Hotel Rottnest and were very pleased that we did.

After all the reviews complaining about "basic" rooms we weren't expecting much so we were quite pleasantly surprised to find our interconnecting rooms with a bright and modern fit-out, beautiful photographic art on the walls showcasing the island, and a great bathroom that doubles as a huge walk-in wardrobe and luggage area. Everything looked brand new. Seriously, I don't know what people are complaining about!

We had rooms 11 and 12 which connected with an internal door so it was great for our family of 3 adults and 1 child. The twin room was set on an angle so was even more spacious than the double room. There are only 18 rooms, and only 4 are along the beachfront so don't feel hard done by with a room around the courtyard. They were great, although my sister can attest to the complaints about thin walls (with her amorous neighbours keeping her awake one night).

The location is unbeatable, the hotel is right on the beach front and the expansive open air beer garden and bistro area is a popular place for drinks and dining. The Lodge is back from the beach behind the shopping centre so the outlook is nothing special.

The cleaners were a bit slow to make up our rooms but this was because we were one of only two rooms that were not being vacated that day so the other rooms had to be done first. The cleaners even mop the floors to get rid of all the sand that finds it way in which was nice.

The lady who manages reception is very friendly, professional and helpful - she stored our luggage for us and phoned us when our room was ready for early check-in.

We loved our stay on Rottnest and would happily stay at the Hotel again. Yes its relatively expensive but staying on Rottnest is a privilege and well worth the expense.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank dgtravelbug
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Just spend 3 days on Rottnest Island was the most relxing time..Stayed in one of the Bayside rooms. THe room was clean and loving the patio overlooking Thompson Bay (only 4 available). Sonia on reception was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful as it was our first time to Rotnest, housekeeping staff were friendly also. Athough it was a bit expensive it was worth the experience.Rooms are basic but the view from our bayside room after a hard day seeing the sghts was worth the price.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 683SOphie81
Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed here in January last year for my birthday. The room was small, comfortable and clean with modern amenities. I wasn't keen on the artificial lawn central to the hotel rooms and felt they could have been more creative with the garden/outdoor areas. No scenic view from our window but the hotel itself is in a beautiful location. Dinner was okay, nothing memorable. There is no wow factor in the hotel...the wow factor lies of course in Rottnest itself. Overall...an average stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pleasant outlook.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I read the previous reviews and I do agree at the price you pay for these rooms you would expect some sort of luxury. But these rooms are far from luxury! They are very simple and only provide the most basic accommodation. But you are on the beautiful island of Rottnest, 10 meters from the Indian Ocean and if you get a Bayside Room there is a private balcony and the view is nice. The room is air conditioned and there is also an overhead fan. They provide more than enough towels for each day and the rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. Clean rooms are my number one expectation for a hotel.
Our room was a Bayside Room. I agree with the previous posts the walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbors conversations. The room had a smell to it that made me think they had to use the cleaner that gets the smell of cigarette smoke out of the room. The window shades were falling off the roller and when we went to fix it with hairpins we realized that some one else already had that idea and had also tried to fix it with hair pins too.
The bathroom had a bit of pink mold.
But I wasn't expecting much so I was happy.
The front desk staff was very nice. But, I called ahead and asked if there was a rollaway bed available and they said no. Then when I got there the front desk also confirmed that there was no roll away bed available. But get this, when we walked by where they stored the rollaway beds there were 3 stored and all made up ready to go. They were there all 3 days so it's not like they were saving them for another guest. I would have said something but when we got to our room - get this - there was a rollaway already in the room! Talk about a failure of communication!
Then the second day we were there I asked the cleaning staff in our room for an extra wash cloth. Some how that got forgotten even though they were cleaning our room at the time. Okay, fine.
The kicker is - I was on my bike walking it sitting on the seat but walking on my tip toes through the patio area and a rude waitress came up to me and told me it was regulation to walk my bike through the patio area. As far as I was concerned I was walking it. Beside the fact it wasn't posted anywhere. So I kept going. She came up to me again and demanded I not walk with the bike sitting and on my tip toes. She was so RUDE!!!! It was 8:30 in the morning and there was no one around but me and her and the guy spray cleaning the deck. Needless to say I did not comply.
Anyway, overall a very positive experience at this hotel. Just don't expect luxury for the price paid.
Oh, one more thing. They have live music on the patio some nights and the rooms are close to the music so you won't sleep until the music ends. Last night the DJ stopped at 11:17 p.m. If you want a quiet place to stay, stay somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have just returned from another week on Rottnest Island. Once again we took several opportunities to sample the food and beverage hospitality at this lovely venue.
As a location for enjoying the good things in life, wine, food, good company and great weather, this venue is very hard to beat. It was simply great to sit back and relax in what has to be one of Australia's best waterfront watering holes.
We tried a range of meals from their menu and all were excellent. The staff as always were courteous and attentive.
We were lucky enough to coincide our trip with the appearance of a Beatles and Stones Band on one Saturday night that was simply great. They regularly have such events and something like this was real icing on our cake!
Highly recommended!

#2 of 7 in Fremantle
Hyatt Regency Perth
#19 of 80 in Perth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,113 reviews

Been to Hotel Rottnest? Share your experiences!