“Disappointing experience for the price paid”
Review of Hotel Rottnest

Hotel Rottnest
Istanbul, Turkey
“Disappointing experience for the price paid”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I travelled to Rottnest for New Years Eve with my mother and friends - we stayed at the Rottnest Hotel. I'll start with the positives in the review. The room is perfectly located close to the hotel and settlement. We had the rooms that overlook the water so it was a great setting for an evening of celebrations. Everything in the room worked and the airconditioner kept up with the high temperatures outside. OK, positives over, now for the bad news. Overall I felt robbed - almost $400 a night and I still cannot see the value in the money. Our sliding door to the outdoor patio was jammed, the outdoor furniture was full of spider webs and some fixtures in the bathroom were rusted - basic maintenance was lacking - the room was not as 'polished' as it should be for the price. There is no wifi either which I find primitive for a hotel that charges so much for a basic room. The room appeared beautifully cleaned but both my mother and I woke with bites on us after sharing the main bed which remained on the skin for weeks after. Furthermore the rollerbed booked for my partner fell off the booking and we had to request it again. We were also told that dinner could be ordered in the hotel until 9pm on new years eve. We went to the bar at 8:40pm and was told the kitchen was closed. I find this ridiculous for an Internationally-renowned venue to not serve food late on new years eve! We went to the nearby cafe who were also closing their kitchen but managed to squeeze out a meal for us. Lucky, because we had no other food as we were there for one night and to our knowledge none of the other settlement food outlets were open. CRAZY considering it was new years....best views in town and no-one offers a dinner package for NYE!? Is the Rottnest Island Authority and Hotel Rottnest out of touch with international travellers - not all like to drink booze with drunks in the pub. So it was a very disappointing experience and I understand why most Perth people prefer to go to Bali for a 'better value for money' holiday. Won't be back to Hotel Rottnest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay...but pack the bug spray for the bed!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ExpatinIstanbul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Was there oz day weekend, from the look of it . it's a real trend setters easy to pick place to drink! ........... I was wrong very wrong staff are there to make money and give no customer experience, the food was basic and hard to pick off the menu. I upped for the pizza, I may as well have chewed on those pig ear you give your dog! Then wash that down with a plastic (disposable) pint costing me $11.50, and my wife drinking the only wine on offer that may as well come out of a goon bag that sandleford vinegar! then to have kids running around every! In saying all that lucky for these "investors" (money makers) not hospitality people they have the views, it's a shame for what has come of the quokka arms it now looks and feel like a circus! Ran by greedy clowns!

Room Tip: Did not say there I didn't think they had rooms if so wouldn't motel rottnest best describe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Rottnest Island hotels

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We really enjoyed wandering down to the "Pub" each evening and watching the sun set over the ocean. The food was great and reasonably priced - we ate here every night we were at Rottnest.
Over the weekend there was a great band and everyone from 2 to 72 enjoyed it. Service was fairly prompt and courteous. We love the relaxed and happy atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I can't recommend staying at the hotel, like other accommodation on the island it is overpriced and the service is poor. However the public bars are a great place to spend time and relax over a beer or three. Service can be problematic at peak times (weekend evenings) but the bar staff seem to work tirelessly to serve the punters. Drinks are on the high side bit not dissimilar to top-end bars on the mainland. Food is quite good and served reasonably quickly. Can't fault the ambience and view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2013

After riding pushbikes around for 2 hours under a hot sun on Rottnest Island West Australia last weekend, to get off the bikes and walk a few paces and sit down at the pub was bliss. The chicken pizza was wonderful, and to have a visit from a Quoka and Peacock walking amongst the tables was very special! I wonder how the management of the pub organise that? The staff were very relaxed, friendly and efficient. Wonderful way to finish a day on Rottnest!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Don't get me wrong Rottnest Island is beautiful! I visited Rottnest for one night with friends and had a lovely time! The food at the hotel is delicious and not overly priced and the location is amazing but I found the price of the rooms to be overpriced for what they are!

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A relaxing lunch at the Rottnest Hotel watching boats bobbing in Thompsons Bay is hard to beat on a hot day. The fan-cooled bar area or the casual bar under the peppermint trees at the waters edge is not the only difficult choice. We found choosing from the menu was also a challenge. The Shark Bay Whiting with chips and a salad was simple but absolutely perfect. My husbands burger was equally satisfying and my daughter is still remembering the chips! Unusually for Western Australia, the service was very good, friendly, timely and efficient. While the value of the Australian dollar is significantly diminished on Rottnest in general, the pleasant experience of well cooked whiting, a superb view and a clean and charming environment is a great holiday memory. The place has a vibe like no other.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
COMO The Treasury
#1 of 64 in Perth
Ocean Beach Hotel
#1 of 2 in Cottesloe

Been to Hotel Rottnest? Share your experiences!