“Hotel from Hell”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Coxsackie
Boston
“Hotel from Hell”
Reviewed July 5, 2005

Multiple problems with this hotel and would never go back:

1) the staff quoted me one price on the phone and billed me another the morning after I stayed. When I complained, they showed me a handout at the desk that has prices. With all the NY taxes added it was $14 more than they had quaoted me! They also did not inform me when I made the reservation with my debit card that they would put a hold on my checking account in advance for the whole amount (if not more).
I had an overdraft charge because I put the money in to my checking account only a few days before my stay - since they put the hold on my account more than a week before my stay they made me overdrawn on my checking! They said this was standard but I think they should inform people
when they make the reservation - all they said was that they would need the debit card number and expiration date. Sheesh!

2) We didn't like the non-smoking room they gave us because outside our
door was a large ice machine constantly making ice and some soda/snack vending machines (at least three). We asked to change our room and they said all they had was smoking rooms. We went to see one upstairs and it totally reeked. I can't believe they would have such awful rooms!
We had to stay in the room they assigned us - which ended up having not only machine noises coming through under the undercut door but also traffic/truck noise from the Thruway - only yards away!

3) The Continental Breakfast was terrible - all carbohydrates - muffins and english muffins and cereal and the worst coffee I've had in a long time. We sat in a crowded room with no view except the trash cans and screaming children. Much appreciated after a sleepless night...ugh.

4) We went to the pool area and it was like a sauna - the ventilation was awful. The pool water was too warm and the whirlpool was too hot . It was not relaxing.

The only OK thing about the experience was there was free internet service
in the Lobby.

I complained both to Best Western and AAA about my experience.

Stayed June 2005
6 Thank barchbac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2004

For my wedding in October, 2002, we had our out of town guests reserve their rooms at the Best Western. Being a fairly new hotel we figured it was the best bet locally. Of the 6 couples who were to stay at this hotel, 3 couples were turned away for various reasons...."overbooked", "lost the reservation", and some other lame excuse for the 3rd couple.
Of course, the wedding was at 3pm and the guests were attempting to check in at 2pm, one of whom was my maid of honor. The 3 couples who were turned away were done so without so much as an apology! The desk clerk blamed it on them first, then someone else in the hotel for taking too many reservations. The clerk did not even bother attempting to find them alternate lodging in the area. So, 45 minutes before I was to get married, I'm on my cell phone scrambling to find 3 rooms anywhere in the area while getting made up and dressed in my wedding gown! After the debacle, I did return to BW to complain mightily! It took a couple of months but I did finally get an apology and a check for my guests for the difference between what my guests would have paid at BW and how much they wound up having to pay at another, more distant hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2003

Well i wasn't impressed for $99 and 35 miles away from hunter..yes we overpaid and the place was far especially after a whole day of snowtubing and snowboarding and not having our own car having to depend on the other people we came. Never again..take your own car! Had good heat and bedroom was not small smelled like mildew though there are no stores near by so make sure you buy snacks for kids before you get there we had fridge, tv didn't try the continental breakfast woke up late..got stuck in a snowstorm had to paid $159 for another room had a jacuzzi water splashed everywhere and it smelled worse than the other room opened windows fresher air. There was a restaurant near prices and service were great..but will not return to this place. For the money that we paid we could have stood near the mountain.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Comfort Inn Saugerties
Comfort Inn Saugerties
#3 of 6 in Saugerties
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Best Western New Baltimore Inn? Share your experiences!