“Wonderful food, terrific service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gilgai Tavern

Gilgai Tavern
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Kalbarri
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Great Service, Great Food and Great Value. Family Friendly Tavern with stunning views from our verandahs. We are owner / operators of a small business and work very hard to provide a personal and positive experience for our customers. We like to think we do this well, but we do get it wrong every once in a while. If you have a problem with our service, please approach any of the staff, you can be assured we will deal with any problem quickly and efficiently.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful food, terrific service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had the oysters to start then prawns done always and the Sticky ribs.It was great food. The chef actually came to the table to ask if everything was okay. A bit quiet, but we loved the extra attention and the staff were having a good time. Definitely be back!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Disgustingly rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Came to Kalbarri from Perth for a holiday with my family. First night, we came here for dinner. Everyone's food except myself and my sisters was ok. I had the steak which was foul, it was all sinew with no flavour. My sisters ribs were horrible, the sauce was gross and the ribs tasted like raw meat smell. When my mum nicely told the waitress, she left to sort it out but didn't come back. So my mum went and asked what was happening, at which point the chef came out and said that you can't get a refund as it was half eaten, to which my mum replied that everyone on the table had tried it to see if it was as bad as I said it was, and they all spit it out into napkins which we produced as proof. She put her hand up to my mums face and told her to "shush" Absolutely shocked! They threw $20 at us to try placate us and we walked out in disbelief at this atrociously, unprofessional excuse for someone in the hospitality industry. We are not a family that likes to complain, in fact we go out of our way to avoid confrontation. But this meal warranted a complaint, it was that bad. I'm not sure if it was just the "chef" at the time (Anita) but we will never, ever go there again and I will make sure I tell all my friends to never give this place business. Horrible... P.s shredded cabbage with no dressing does not a salad make

2 Thank Taycam
Gilgai, Owner at Gilgai Tavern, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
It would have been a good idea to talk to your family before writing your reviews. Very clearly difference in your stories, with the most obvious lie - you both didn't eat the same meal. One of you states one person enjoyed their meals and the other presents a differnet story? I'm sure our customers will see this for what it is.
Perth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you visit Kalbarri please don't go to this place. We were so disappointed. Five of us went and only one person was happy with their meal. I had a sirloin steak and it did not resemble or taste like a sirloin steak. The steak was full if fat and gristle. The sticky ribs resembled boiled slow cooked red meat and the sauce was unpalatable. I had my family try the steak to make sure I wasn't over reacting. And each one of them spat it out into a serviette. I was so mortified to say anything so just ate the chips but couldn't not say a thing because it was so bad. When I complained the woman didn't know what to do and left to speak to the chef, she came back and offered us desert or a drink. I really wasn't interested in that as we just wanted to get out of there but because of the attitude we persisted with out complaint. Mum went inside to see what was happening with our complaint and that woman that served us was getting ready to leave.... In the end the chef came out and was just rude and told my mum to shush while she was talking and complained that we had eaten some of the steak and that's why they won't refund us. The fact of the matter was of course we ate some steak, I wasn't going to have just one bite and complain. We all tried a bit and spat it out, and we returned these spat out bits on the serviette because she kept arguing that we ate some steak. Long story short the service was horrible the food even worse and I would not return there if the meal was free.

1 Thank Annie86Perth
Gilgai, Owner at Gilgai Tavern, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
What these customers were actually told was that we do not offer refunds after the entire meal is eaten, which was the case - the plate was returned clean. They were told that if they had a problem - telling us immediately allows us the opportunity to re-cooked their meal or offer an alterantive.
When I was explaining this policy the person was talking loudly over the top of me - so I simply asked if they would like to listen to me, but instead they started swearing at me. I'm afraid I don't believe it is reasonable for customers to talk to anyone in such a disgraceful manner. As the customers state we apologised and offered either a complimentary drink or dessert. They also fail to mention that they were given a refund, though not for the whole meal.
“A BIT QUIET”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

No action, even at lunch time,walked in for a beer and a lunch menu, no reaction or even a smile from the staff. And the beer was warm.So we walked out and had lunch and a COLD beer at the kalbarri hotel.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Rose G
Australia
“Frozen Fish!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

On the strength of previous reviews, we popped into the Gilgai Tavern for dinner one night during a flying visit to Kalbarri.

The tavern was almost empty during the whole time we were there which seemed a little strange given it was a weekend; perhaps it was in part due to the place lacking any real atmosphere. Service was prompt and friendly allbeit a little forced.

The menu was fairly extensive with prices on the high side for a tavern but on a par with other places in town. Given we were in Kalbarri we chose seafood dishes which ended up being the wrong choice. Both dishes were prepared using fish that had been frozen rendering it tasteless and totally unacceptable. The best part of the meal was the salad.

Cost approximately $35 each including a drink.

Would we visit again. Most unlikely.

• Visited February 2013