“Must do and with this Company!”

3 Islands Whale Shark Dive
Ranked #1 of 38 Tours in Exmouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ningaloo Reef is an incredible aquatic environment filled with an amazing variety of marine life ranging from whale sharks, dolphins, humpback whales, manta rays, dugongs and turtles to tropical fish, corals and much more. Join award winning Three Islands Whale Shark Dive on a whale shark snorkelling adventure on the reef between mid-March and August. With a reputation for quality, safety and professionalism, the friendly crew ensure each whale shark tour is a memorable marine wildlife experience.
Reviewed April 5, 2014

3 Island Whale Shark Dive are not only one of the cheapest options on the reef but they are also one of (if not the) best! From the beginning of the booking stage to the end of the dive itself, you talk to real people and are made to feel like a member of this Family run business.

I chose to use 3 Island because of their Trip Advisor reviews and boy was I blown out of the water, they exceeded my very high expectations! I am Vegan and because we booked this holiday in a group this fact was not passed onto the company during our booking, despite this fact I was well fed – and boy do they ensure you have plenty of food to keep up your energy for the Sharks! However, if you do tell them dietary requirements on booking they will cater for you further.

But let’s face it this is all about the Whale Sharks and they deliver – as they have their own spotter plane, we were lucky enough to meet a 9 metre long male. Due to his size we were not able to keep up with him for very long, but 3 Islands just gave us more drops into the water than usual to make sure that we had the same amount of water time as a tour would with a smaller and slower moving shark. In addition you will get a Snorkel prior to meeting the Whale Sharks, whilst the spotter plane is trying to find one for you. As the plane found a shark for us quite quickly we had time for a second snorkel in the afternoon. To top off your day you will also get a complementary CD with all of the photos of the day and some best of shots too. Meg was out photographer and unlike other tours we did, she knows how to use her camera and our shots were all stunning (from the snorkels and the shark swim). Other companies will charge you extra for this CD or for the added snorkels.

3 Islands not only makes you feel safe and in professional hands (as each staff member has been there for at least 5 years) but they also make sure that you have an amazing and above all fun day. Our Team was Elise, Rob, Meg, Tara and Noss – They each had a role to play in a day that will be talked about for years to come. Thank you to you each I can’t tell you how much fun my friends and I had and how amazing you each made it, your energy, passion and humour was infections.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We traveled to Exmouth for one reason only, Whale Sharks and we were not disappointed.
We booked our experience with 3 Islands and it was the best decision we made. Everything they state on their web is accurate, in fact they delivered way more. From the time that we were picked up (on-time) the staff were knowledgeable and absolutely charming, we felt so welcome. Once on board the boat we meet the other staff that would be helping out for the day this included two dive guides, the skipper and a photographer and the guy in the safety boat, a funny Canadian. The day starts with a snorkel on the inner reef where the crew check your equipment to ensure that everything is fine for the big event. After that you go beyond the reef to meet the whale sharks, where we had 4 dives with the sharks for a minimum of 20 mins for each dive. After each dive there is a roll check to ensure everyone was back on the boat. Also the tender boat stays with you while you are diving with the sharks, at anytime you can be plucked from the ocean within 30 seconds. At no time did it feel UNSAFE. Once the dives have finished the crew put on the most delicious lunch 3 different salads, Chicken, cold meats, 3 types of different bread. I am not gluten free however some customers were and the company provided snack packs and a meal to cater for their needs. It looked really tasty.
So if you are lucky enough to get the crew we did, Skipper Josh, Dive guides Roxy & Carla and photographer Meg you are going to have the same life changing experience we did. But no matter what crew you get the company puts safety first at all times. I highly recommend this company as we decided to book them because of the trip advisor recommendation and by all accounts we were not let down. All comments on trip advisor were accurate and correct. Please book this company. Also the company provides a FREE DVD with pics of the day and Meg is an amazing photographer we are so pleased with the quality of pics we received. I have already posted them on Facebook. Thanks Meg. The following day we ran into Roxy outside the IGA and she stopped to chat with us and recommended more activities to do in town, so the customer service goes beyond your day at sea. This is truly a genuine company with great staff and a customer service experience that goes the extra mile. I would like to say that i have worked in the customer service industry for 20 years and I was truly blown away.
Thank you to the team for an experience I will NEVER forget. With the Kindest Regards Andrew Feros & Warrick Johnson 03/04/2014

1  Thank Andrew260271
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had an extraordinary day with 3Islands. Fantastic crew, very friendly and helpful especially when you have children. They took great care of our 4 year old son and make it very easy for us to enjoy the experience. He also managed to have a gréât and long look at the whale shark. The crew was also very knowledgable about marine life.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Naomi & Brian Lawrence Monday 31st March 2014

As we are from the Whitsundays in Queensland and we love the reef, swimming with the Whale Sharks seemed an appropriate experience to enjoy along our journey around Australia.
Upon arriving into Exmouth at our caravan park (Ningaloo Resort Caravan Park) we noticed the 3 Island office backing onto the caravan park so went in to make our final payment and work out pick up details etc.
The enthusiasm of Roxy at reception started us really looking forward to the trip.
The bus was waiting for us to take us to Tantabiddi Jetty (about 34k) where the boat departs from. Quite often during a pick-up service there is no-one to give any commentary or introductions or answer any questions. This trip was different however, Megan and Elise (the driver) picked us up and commenced immediately to tell us about the Whale Sharks, how best to interact with them, the sites and history of Exmouth and some other local knowledge.
We were picked up by the skipper (Noss) in a tender who equally with the girls was warm and welcoming. On-board we also met Rob and Roxy were also there waiting for us. We were told that there were only 10 of us (normally 20 but the season had only just commenced). So 5 staff to 10 passengers!
Some great snorkelling inside the reef and then a terrific experience with some more snorkelling on the outer rim of the reef while we waited for the spotter plane to find our prize. We were also given morning tea which consisted of 3 or 4 different sweet options, buns, cakes etc as well as 2 savoury options (pesto pull aparts and pizza style stuffed bread). As I prefer a gluten free diet there were platters of fruit as well as a special pack given to me of gluten free biscuits and muesli bars all washed down with a ginger tea.
One of the 3 tour operators who have spotter planes had found a Whale Shark and graciously let our boat share the same whale shark. We were told to get ready and the 10 of us would sink into the water, stay in line and wait to see the whale shark and then swim alongside (within the distance guidelines).
I was excited and apprehensive diving into the deep blue however upon seeing the whale shark it simply took my breath away but not for long – someone in the know surged in front of me, flipper landing in my throat and a knee in my stomach. Of course what I realised is that the Whale Shark although quite docile and relaxed swims very fast with each gentle brush of its tail. Our other tour participants were just eager to keep up. The second time we got in the water I floated a little to the side of everyone and got a great underwater shot of the whale coming towards us but was soon left in its wake.
By the 3rd or the 4th go I got sorted, keep at the end of the line that the instructors indicated and swim alongside as soon as the head of the Whale Shark is alongside you. This made sure you were in front and not behind where only the bubbles of the flippers took up your visual experience.
It was a terrific experience, one which I will remember for a lifetime. The catering was outstanding, lunch was some of the best food I have had on a tour in a long time. 3 different salads, (my kind of salads with seeds and a variety of vegetable and salads), cold meats, cold chicken, fruit and breads. I was even given gluten free roll up bread if I wanted it. All of this consumed in the sanctuary of the reef where we once again were given the delights of entering the turquoise waters with sharks, rays, parrot fish and turtles.
On our way home we were given cheese platters, dried fruit and fresh cut fruit and fruit juice – plenty of water, tea and coffee throughout the day – I have to say when we got home my husband and I didn’t bother cooking dinner even though all the guests were offered the left-overs from the day all neatly and fairly distributed in several plastic take away containers.
I would rate the staff as first class, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and genuine. I would rate the boat as safe and comfortable and well provisioned (even offering sight impaired goggles). I would rate the catering as outstanding and the Whale Shark as an extraordinary experience. On the way home we were asked to complete a feedback sheet with one of the questions to rate out of 10 (10 being the highest) your experience. I would suggest that there is another question for those that don’t answer 10. What would have made it a 10 for you? For me the 2 things that didn’t make it a 10 (I answered 9) was the frenzy of the others in the water (3 or 4 each side of the Whale Shark would have been a more enjoyable experience) and the visibility was not terrific – though that is nature…….I will be doing it again that is for sure, because it doesn’t matter if it’s once or 20 times …every time is different…. And the magic experience - well worth the money, the time the distance. Thank you 3 Islands!!
NB:- And the DVD of our day and a movie of this beautiful region, so professionally put together (thanks Meg), much better than my coverage…enjoy the moment, leave your camera on board!!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Magical! This is what the brochure promised and this was what 3 Islands delivered! We set out on Saturday March 29th under ideal weather and snorkelling conditions and the day only got better. It was extremely well organised with two snorkelling stops, one before and one after the whale shark interaction plus frequent diversions as we spotted and followed marine life including turtles, dolphins, sharks and rays. The whale shark was indeed the star attraction and we were not disappointed with four swims alongside this gentle giant observing it from all angles. But a tour is only as good as the operator and in this regard the crew were excellent. Clearly professional and passionate, they are very genuine and while you know this is something they do daily, you were carried away with their enthusiasm and excitement as if it were their first trip too. You were well cared for and safe at all times. Adding to the enjoyment was the delicious and plentiful food and to top it off we received a complimentary and very professional CD of photos of the day's activities thanks to the delightful on-board photographer. In a word perfect! Patricia L.

1  Thank Patricia L